Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-29-2016, 03:44 AM   #1

New monitor for photography

Hello,

I am interested in buying new monitor for photo processing because my old 19" is not capable to do it correctly.

I am looking for something decent rather for amateur processing.

Models that drew my attention:

EIZO EV2450,

EIZO EV2436W,

Nec MultiSync EA244 WMi

And also more professional models

Eizo CS230 and CS240

CS230 and CS240 are more expensive (CS230 is cheaper than CS240 but has 16:9 while I prefer 16:10) but I am not sure if I need Adobe RGB and wide gamut, hardware calibration and LUT tables.

I think for my purpose EV2450 will be enough but read some opinions in internet that everything below CS240 (which is entry level photography screen) is worthless for serious photographer, so I am bit confused

So any suggestions ?

Greetings

04-29-2016, 05:52 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Apple cinema display?
04-29-2016, 06:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

For not much more than the EIZO listed above, I got a refurbished Dell 2713H, a 27" wide gamut IPS 1440 display. It works great and you can really see the difference when switching between the AdobeRGB and sRGB color spaces.

I typically hold onto monitors twice as long as computers, so I try to get the best I can afford at the time.

The one caveat of the Dell is that the calibration tools are Windows only.
04-29-2016, 07:19 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm using a pair of Dell U2713 monitors. Very happy with them. I bought one new and the other was either a closeout sale or refurbished don't remember now. With calibration they show identical colors and brightness so Lightroom can have windows on both monitors and the image looks the same.

04-29-2016, 07:40 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In 2016 I wouldn't spend a dime on a monitor that isn't at least 4K capable.
For photography the difference is tangible and so much better.
M
04-29-2016, 08:45 AM   #6

While I disagree with the above post that 4K is the only way to go in 2016, I would argue that if you're planning on spending almost $400 for a 23" 1080P monitor, certainly consider going 4K. If you're going with a 1080P monitor, I'd highly recommend the Viewsonic vx2370smh-led. It's about $150 new. I know it's not the highest-end monitor, but for photo editing it will be leaps and bounds above what you have.

If you get a lower end (but still big upgrade for you) monitor, then you can keep your eyes open for a good 4K deal. The Viewsonic would certainly make a great second monitor along side of a better one if nothing else. One of the negatives of the Viewsonic is not supporting VISA mounting, so if you have a monitor bracket, going with a different one would be smart.

I upgraded from a decent non-IPS display to a 27" version of the Viewsonic, and 6months later I bought a second one, as I was so impressed at the price to quality ratio. As an aside, yes 27" is considered to be too large for 1920 x 1080 resolution, but I'm quite happy, and just don't sit too close to the monitor.

Best of luck! I think you'll be really happy with the Viewsonic. I don't know of any integrated calibration tools, but I use a ColorMunki Smile calibrator on Windows, and have had decent results that have returned great prints that look very close to the on-screen image.
04-29-2016, 09:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ps1984 Quote
Hello,

I am interested in buying new monitor for photo processing because my old 19" is not capable to do it correctly.

I am looking for something decent rather for amateur processing.

Models that drew my attention:

EIZO EV2450,

EIZO EV2436W,

Nec MultiSync EA244 WMi

And also more professional models

Eizo CS230 and CS240

CS230 and CS240 are more expensive (CS230 is cheaper than CS240 but has 16:9 while I prefer 16:10) but I am not sure if I need Adobe RGB and wide gamut, hardware calibration and LUT tables.

I think for my purpose EV2450 will be enough but read some opinions in internet that everything below CS240 (which is entry level photography screen) is worthless for serious photographer, so I am bit confused

So any suggestions ?

Greetings
It really depends on how serious you are and how deep pockets and your expectations of monitor usage.
Do you print?
Do you expect screen to print match?
Do you have an editing application that is colour managed e.g. Photoshop or Lightroom?
If considering 4K does your application support GUI scaling correctly - Prior to PS CC not supported

If you want a pro monitor then the CS 240 is an absolute bargain offering Eizo quality and features such as hardware calibration (allow for a calibrator such as i1 Display Pro).

If your budget can stand it and you have the applications to take advantage then 4K may be worth looking at but beware that a bargain buy may not prove cost effective in the mid to long term

04-29-2016, 09:43 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
There is an Asus monitor worth looking at:

Asus PA248Q 24" LED Backlit IPS Widescreen Monitor PA248Q
04-29-2016, 09:54 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
In 2016 I wouldn't spend a dime on a monitor that isn't at least 4K capable.
For photography the difference is tangible and so much better.
M
My worry about 4k is that it makes the UI too small for my aging eyes. MacOS is better at handing UI scaling than Windows, but it's not a completely solved issue yet. At the pricepoint I was willing to spend, I valued wide gamut (98% AdobeRGB IIRC) 2K over narrower gamut 4k.
04-29-2016, 10:30 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
My worry about 4k is that it makes the UI too small for my aging eyes. MacOS is better at handing UI scaling than Windows, but it's not a completely solved issue yet. At the pricepoint I was willing to spend, I valued wide gamut (98% AdobeRGB IIRC) 2K over narrower gamut 4k.
As one turning 60, I understand.
My new 5K iMac is very easy on the eyes and I have zero scaling problems. Text is remarkably rendered. And the P3 color gamut encompasses a lot of AdobeRGB and exceeds it a bit in some ways. I have a 2K monitor attached to proof what the great unwashed are viewing. It's inferior. Life's too short for inferior monitors. Working on the 5K monitor is revelatory, and at my age I can use all the revelations I can get.

M
04-29-2016, 10:43 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
As one turning 60, I understand.
My new 5K iMac is very easy on the eyes and I have zero scaling problems. Text is remarkably rendered. And the P3 color gamut encompasses a lot of AdobeRGB and exceeds it a bit in some ways. I have a 2K monitor attached to proof what the great unwashed are viewing. It's inferior. Life's too short for inferior monitors. Working on the 5K monitor is revelatory, and at my age I can use all the revelations I can get.

M
Yeah, that 5k iMac sure does look nice. The thing that kills it for me though is that you can't use it as an external monitor after the computer itself slows down with age. My monitors usually last 2x as long as my computers. That and the fact that Apple is now soldering the RAM onto the mobo so now user upgrades.
04-29-2016, 11:08 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had the vendor up the RAM to 32GB with the same RAM Apple uses but lots cheaper. It can be upgraded to 64GB. I figure when the computer slows down, the monitor I want will be 8K. I donate my used computers and monitors to charitable organizations or schools.

M
04-29-2016, 03:33 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Yeah, that 5k iMac sure does look nice. The thing that kills it for me though is that you can't use it as an external monitor after the computer itself slows down with age. My monitors usually last 2x as long as my computers. That and the fact that Apple is now soldering the RAM onto the mobo so now user upgrades.
The soldered RAM isn't on the 27" iMacs. It's a user friendly upgrade to install RAM; no tools required.

I agree about using it as a second monitor in the future, since I did that before. But considering that that the 5k iMac is such a bang for the buck, and since not many computers can even do 5k externals successfully, I figured I could sacrifice that.

I guess I just stare at the screen for too many hours, and life's too short (for me anyway) to view my stuff through a sock, which is what 2.5K looks like to me now.
05-01-2016, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
The soldered RAM isn't on the 27" iMacs. It's a user friendly upgrade to install RAM; no tools required.

I agree about using it as a second monitor in the future, since I did that before. But considering that that the 5k iMac is such a bang for the buck, and since not many computers can even do 5k externals successfully, I figured I could sacrifice that.

I guess I just stare at the screen for too many hours, and life's too short (for me anyway) to view my stuff through a sock, which is what 2.5K looks like to me now.
Ahh...ok. Good to hear that the 5K has user upgradeable RAM.

Here's a little video I put together about color gamut:

05-03-2016, 08:15 AM   #15

Original Poster
Hello

Now even more confused

4k is too expensive for me.
Agree on that CS 240 is bargain.

CS 240 is the top what I can afford now. i am thinking going into Eizo's EV series, but have doubts if sRGB only and lack of other features will be enough.