Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2016, 03:39 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Compact Photo Printer: Canon Selphy CP1200

My daughter is getting married in October and one of the things she wanted to do at the wedding is have a photo taken of all of the guests as the come in and create an instant album that can be viewed that night. She asked me to look at the Polaroid and Fujifilm instant cameras and see what was a better deal. I also looked at the idea of a compact photo printer, the Canon Selphy CP1200. The photo printer looks like a better idea, it seems to have better quality prints, larger prints, and is something that could continue to be used. We're not looking at this for professional quality, but decent prints.

Does anybody have any experience with the Selphy, if so what do you think?

04-29-2016, 05:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I used the CP910 to do pet with Santa photographs for a Cat Sanctuary last Christmas.

Useful little printer. I could shoot a number of photos tethered (I have a Canon 50d for tethering as well as my K20 & K-5 for other photography) and have the customer view them on my Macbook and then print the one they liked. (they gave the Sanctuary $10 for each print they wanted or for multiple copies. It was for charity)

Supplies are rather expensive but the nice thing is that you get the ink (well, plastic roll) cartridges along with the paper and the paper is packaged into packets that just fill up the printer feeder. Also very quick to change the ink cartridge on the go.

It makes a nice photo that you can hand to the customer when it comes out. No need to wait for drying. Just make sure they don't try to pull the photo out before it's finished as the photo does move back and forth for each colour. You think it's done but it's not.

For an application like you are looking for solutions to the Selphy may work out really well. I wish it would do 5x7 prints but the 4x6 ones are OK.

I'll add that you get a starter pack with the printer. 5 prints and the ink roll is good for that number as well. Good to try it out with but that's all.

I also made sure that I could return an extra supply package if it hadn't been opened. Always good to have extra supplies.
04-29-2016, 05:40 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I have an older Selphy CP400 I like that does up to 4 x 8, but I can't get it recognized by Windows 10...
04-29-2016, 06:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I find that Canon doesn't provide support for older printers and newer OSes. I had to put a previous version of the Mac OS on my laptop to use with the Selphy. They don't provide a driver for the latest version using a USB connection.

05-01-2016, 04:10 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I didn't mention that these photos would be taken with a smartphone and sent to the printer wirelessly.
06-20-2016, 03:47 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Follow Up: I bought the Selphy and I am happy with it. I downloaded the Canon Print app to my iphone 6, It took a little while to set up and connect on the Selphy's wireless nework but it did and then worked fine. I also tried the Air Drop function and that worked very quickly.