Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2016, 04:48 AM   #1
Forum Member

Dumb Questions on Image Capture Settings, Sorry

Been using video for a few years, now having a go at still after a long break with a K1

Need a little help on the best file saving settings please....

Using Lightroom CC (free trail at the moment)

On the K1 what would be my best way to save the files.

Under "IMAGE CAPTURE SETTINGS"

Which one... RAW DMG or RAW+ DMG

Is it worth recording JPEG, if so what setting, L,M,S,XS

JPEG Quality *** ** or *

RAW File Format PEF or DNG

Color Space - sRGB or Adobe RGB

Also

Should I be looking at any other settings.

Thanks

04-30-2016, 04:51 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
If you're using Lightroom, then there's no point in shooting JPEGs. Shoot RAW and use the DNG file format. Color space setting applies only to JPEG files so it doesn't matter.
04-30-2016, 05:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by markkuk Quote
If you're using Lightroom, then there's no point in shooting JPEGs. Shoot RAW and use the DNG file format. Color space setting applies only to JPEG files so it doesn't matter.
Agree with what you said... just one more point, if you select Adobe RGB in the color space, the camera set the file name starting with "_" instead of IMGPxxxx. Therefore, I prefer to use sRGB (although it does not matter since I choose RAW).

Last edited by aleonx3; 04-30-2016 at 05:20 AM.
04-30-2016, 05:17 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If using Lightroom you might as well use the full capabilities and use RAW. No point in jpeg unless you have a specific need for quick lower resolution images. I often use shoot small jpegs for a local sports club to post on their website. If I want any sort of editing I use RAW. Whether to use PEF or DNG is a bit of a toss up, each have their adherents.

This B+H youtube tutorial might help answer some of your questions.It is Lightroom based but a lot of your questions are canvassed.

04-30-2016, 05:23 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you..
04-30-2016, 08:44 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
If using Lightroom you might as well use the full capabilities and use RAW. No point in jpeg unless you have a specific need for quick lower resolution images. I often use shoot small jpegs for a local sports club to post on their website. If I want any sort of editing I use RAW. Whether to use PEF or DNG is a bit of a toss up, each have their adherents.

This B+H youtube tutorial might help answer some of your questions.It is Lightroom based but a lot of your questions are canvassed.
Video was a great help, Cheers
04-30-2016, 09:44 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
RAW is always going to give you the best quality if you are willing to do the post processing. If you're going to continue with Adobe LR, then DNG; if you're going to use the Pentax proprietary free software, then PEF.
Choosing RAW+ should really be called Jpeg+ IMO because it means you really use mostly jpegs, but want the RAW just in case it's a great shot and you want to maximize it's potential in LR or PS. L/M/S/XS? That's up to how you intend to use it. For enlarged prints then L. Small prints=M. Web only then S. And as a thumbnail reference=XS.
For Color Space, I'd use sRGB if I had no intention of printing my images. But if I'm using LR or PS with the intent of printing, then AdobeRGB.
Should you be looking at other settings? Not so important if you're shooting RAW, but if you're shooting jpeg, there is a lot in the menu that will affect the jpegs...including noise reduction, white balance, etc.

05-01-2016, 08:57 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you use Lr, and ever do JPEG+RAW, I'd advise selecting the option in Lr preferences to treat JPEGs and RAW (DNG or PEF) as separate files. Otherwise Lr treats the JPEG as a sidecar to the DNG/PEF, which can make it tough to deal with the JPEGs. Every once in a while I do JPEG+RAW, as when on a trip I just wanna copy the JPEGs off the card to someone else's device who isn't gonna deal with RAW.

I also have used a Passport Colorchecker to set colors under different conditions and apply those as a preset upon import. And a metadata preset for stuff like contact info and copywrite. And I rename the pixel shift images as well.