Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2017, 09:40 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Haha to you both - I have an old set of bookshelf AIWA speakers - well from the past. I used to have full-size Wharfedale units - the joys of having a young family.

Thanks for the thoughts - I'm looking at the Kaby Lake i5 version of the NUC to be compact - I probably won't VESA mount it, but do want desk space.
Apparently the unit runs quiet, and is reasonably capable (I'm coming from a sandy bridge mobile chipset here). The only downside is that it isn't Quad-core.

I was also looking at an equivalent Zotac, and that does look really nice, but at least double the price. I've not had experience with them, but they do seem to run quiet.

10-14-2017, 12:15 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Someone actually sells a fanless case for the Skull Canyon that looks like the future:

Akasa Thermal Solution
10-16-2017, 05:18 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought a Mac Mini 11 months ago and the small form factor is awesome. It has worked out well for me. I've got spoiled by the space savings. If I was to go back to Windows, I would seriously consider a NUC or one of the other similar boxes. My hearing is shot too so I don't know how much the fan noise would affect me. The Mac is noiseless or at least to my ears. It uses mostly laptop hardware and isn't considered a power users computer. I think any of the quad core processors are going to require more cooling and thus, more noise from a fan or a larger case and bigger cooler.