Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-09-2016, 10:12 AM   #1

K3 II exif

Hello. I processing the photos in ACDsee Pro 8, and I cannot see in the exif the lens specifications (lens model, lens make etc.). So please help me. Thank You...

05-09-2016, 10:50 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

What lens(es) are you using on your K-3II?
05-09-2016, 11:05 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The lens name is not directly stored in the EXIF, but rather as a code corresponding to the lens. If your software shows certain lenses but not others, it might need an update.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-09-2016, 11:29 AM   #4

Original Poster
I used Pentax 50-135, Pentax 50, Tamron 28-75, Sigma Art 18-35, etc. I have a K-5IIs and the lens specifications appears in exif :-(

05-09-2016, 01:08 PM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I think this is likely to be a software issue with ACDSee Pro 8. My K-3II shots show the correct lens information in Lightroom 6, however when I look at the details of the file properties in Windows File Explorer, it only shows the focal length - not the lens brand or model (this is in line with Adam's info above). Have you updated ACDSee Pro 8 to the latest version?
05-09-2016, 08:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zzz11 Quote
I used Pentax 50-135, Pentax 50, Tamron 28-75, Sigma Art 18-35, etc.
My suggestion: run some of your K-3II images + lenses through EXIFTOOL.

If the lens names show up correctly in the results, the problem is with your version of ACDSee Pro, not the K-3 II EXIF.
05-11-2016, 02:06 PM   #7
Forum Member

I've also ACDsee Pro 8 (build 263). But no K3 ii. Never the less; No problem to get the lens information for all my 15-20++ lenses when I use them on my K10d and K5. Also my non-Pentax lenses.

Try rawr's recommendation - check what info you get by EXIFTOOL.

05-11-2016, 02:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The problem with lenses and exif is that they are often stored as (numberical) codes, sometimes in multiple exif fields (often in proprietary fields). Software like ExifTool, Lightroom, etc. utilize a combination of camera and lens code to provide the text details you end up seeing and potentially fill in metadata fields (like XMP) with the descriptive name you know and often see. Interpretting the metadata I believe is one of the biggest reasons new cameras are not always compatible with RAW software. The software has to learn how to read the proprietary information including identifying lenses that go with the camera.

I only know this at a broad level. You could find out more details at the forums for ExifTool (where I first read details of this behavior).
05-16-2016, 12:04 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thank You.
05-30-2016, 09:54 PM   #10

K5 exif & Sigma Lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The lens name is not directly stored in the EXIF, but rather as a code corresponding to the lens. If your software shows certain lenses but not others, it might need an update.
I have a similar issue, which until this week, thought is was just one of those 3rd party lens issue. I have a number of Sigma lenses, none of which show the correct detail in LR including LR 6 CC. Eg I have the 17-70 f2.8-4.0 however lens details shows as the Pentax smc 77mm in LR. I was checking exif details for some other issues using an online viewer and noticed that the correct lens details where showing for 3 out of the 4 Sigma lenses.
I have updated all software as per above suggestion.

So why does LR not read the exif data correctly to show the correct lens ? Anyone with thoughts on this.

I suspect it is more a compatibility issue as per emalvick's post, but also curious as zz111 stated his K511 reads the correct data incl a Tamron and Sigma lens
05-30-2016, 11:00 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by markl62 Quote
I have a similar issue, which until this week, thought is was just one of those 3rd party lens issue. I have a number of Sigma lenses, none of which show the correct detail in LR including LR 6 CC. Eg I have the 17-70 f2.8-4.0 however lens details shows as the Pentax smc 77mm in LR. I was checking exif details for some other issues using an online viewer and noticed that the correct lens details where showing for 3 out of the 4 Sigma lenses.
I have updated all software as per above suggestion.

So why does LR not read the exif data correctly to show the correct lens ? Anyone with thoughts on this.

I suspect it is more a compatibility issue as per emalvick's post, but also curious as zz111 stated his K511 reads the correct data incl a Tamron and Sigma lens
Some Sigma lens IDs are ambiguous, but in this case it sounds like LR just doesn't have the right definitions.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-30-2016, 11:12 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can confirm what Adam said (of course he knows very well what he says) and up him one: I'm one of those crazies who not only uses open-source but also digs into the code from time to time. All of my software relies on two packages which do lens identification: LensFun (for lens corrections) and Exiv2. Every time I install an update, I go into the source code of both packages to tweak the text on some of the Lens identification codes in there.

Especially Tamron and Sigma lenses tend to have ambiguous lenscodes which are registered by the camera in the exif data of the image file. I've not had issues with Pentax lenses yet. After my one-time correction in the source code of the software, Gimp, Digikam or Darktable are able to identify the lens correctly and also to find the correct data on CA, distortion and vignetting.

There simply are multiple lenses with the same Hex code ID and luckily I do not own conflicting lenses so I can set the ID to the lens I actually own and use.
05-30-2016, 11:31 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Some Sigma lens IDs are ambiguous, but in this case it sounds like LR just doesn't have the right definitions.
Thanks Adam.

Once I found out the data to be correct, I thought it was a LR issue. So much confusing info in the web.
05-31-2016, 01:40 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I suppose I should have been clearer: the Exiv2 lensdata which links up lensID's to lens descriptions is held in XML files. It is those XML files that can be (very easily) edited to show the correct lens descriptions which are then picked up by other software. I wouldn't consider this "editing code". I would expect existing Windows/OSX software to use something similar but due to the closed nature of that software, this may not be as easily accessible/editable.
06-07-2016, 12:08 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have to correct myself on that last post: I got things confused with LensFun, a lens correction and calibration tool which does indeed holds its data in XML files. I just now browsed the exiv2 development source files again and the relevant data is held in CPP files but with the lensID's and corresponding ASCII descriptions clearly identifiable in the code portion. On the D-FA lenses for the K-1, the current version holds the following data:
Code:
{ 0x083b, "HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW" },
{ 0x083c, "HD PENTAX-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW" },
{ 0x083d, "HD PENTAX-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR" },
{ 0x083e, "HD PENTAX-D FA 24-70mm F2.8 ED SDM WR" },