Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2016, 07:57 AM   #16
Pentaxian

My concerns would be: display size and quality (color management?), ambient light issues, and processing horsepower (cpu speed, memory and disk throughput). Some of the pricier tablets could probably manage. If you could hook up to an external display, even better. On the whole, a laptop seems like the better option.

05-10-2016, 08:03 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm curious that no-one has mentioned the Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 - on paper it appears to be purpose built, and the stylus input capability from Wacom is better than anything else out there.

At work I use a Cintiq 27QHD and for editing photos it is simply unparalleled.
05-10-2016, 08:04 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Lightroom for android supports DNG's
05-10-2016, 08:10 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
Ok this pretty much answered my questions... thanks everyone for the input.

My laptop got dropped in the airport in Africa.... it still works but some of the plastic is busted. It is also several years old so it's almost due for a replacement.

I am doing a lot of travel lately (I hope to do it for longer but I have to see how the money lasts)...some of the places I want to go are kind of out of the way... (think one flight in per week and sometimes 2-3 legs to any major airport) but I don't want to be limited in what I am able to do. If I am processing, I want to do the whole 9 yards.

I guess I will just need to shop for an appropriate laptop and just live with lugging it around.

I can say for sure though that (for me) I am slowly honing my collection of stuff to haul around and that is not just camera gear.
Check out the Razer Blade Stealth. Display covers 100% AdobeRGB, which is quite rare. The only thing it's missing for me is an SD card reader.

05-10-2016, 08:10 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I'm curious that no-one has mentioned the Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 - on paper it appears to be purpose built, and the stylus input capability from Wacom is better than anything else out there.

At work I use a Cintiq 27QHD and for editing photos it is simply unparalleled.
Almost four times over the OPs budget.
05-10-2016, 08:10 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I should add that my requirements were simple:

1) Accept a dongle with card reader for transfer from camera's SD card to tablet memory (in fact I used the option of a plug-in micro SD card to expand that tablet memory).
2) Use the tablet as a backup, retaining the images also on the camera's SD card until I was back home for a more thorough backup to laptop and external drives.
3) Accept a dongle with flashdrive for transfer off if things got crowded.
4) Review/enjoy images on a screen that was significantly better than the camera's LCD, and tweak brightness, contrast, horizon straightening to make it fit for Facebook.

It did all of those things admirably.

Experience since has shown me another way. If I really, really had to, and the card wasn't particularly full, I could have shot in RAW and processed them in camera - or even shot in raw plus jpeg, downloaded the jpegs for viewing on the tablet and processing the raws in camera (to the extent that is possible) to improve the ones that didn't turn out quite right. This would have been fine for what I did, seeing as I didn't take all that many pics at any one time.
05-10-2016, 08:14 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Laptop w/15" or larger display. You get into big bucks for i3 or i5 based tablets with plenty of RAM. I like the built-in keyboard and mouse on a laptop, especially if you are traveling with the device. You can even get off-lease or corporate returns that are pretty good deals to save a few more bucks.

05-10-2016, 08:14 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I don't want to say that I have a budget of X amount of dollars but I am looking for bang for the buck....

I only put out the amount I mentioned above because that is what the guy at the store quoted me for a package deal on a samsung tablet with all the bells and whistles on it.
05-10-2016, 08:15 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
If you're going to do something, you might as well do it properly.

Truth be told most tablet platforms are abysmal at post processing because they are often designed for less intensive general purpose activities. The wacom Companion is designed with the express purpose of it being a mobile image processing platform. The high quality stylus and touch input capability make it an excellent choice.
05-10-2016, 08:28 AM   #25
Forum Member

Yes, but I think most of us would prefer to take that logic to our camera gear than to editing tools! Budgets can only be stretched so far.
05-10-2016, 08:52 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster

Truth be told most tablet platforms are abysmal at post processing because they are often designed for less intensive general purpose activities. The wacom Companion is designed with the express purpose of it being a mobile image processing platform. The high quality stylus and touch input capability make it an excellent choice.
I like the way you think. For sure.

However for my situation right now I have other factors that I need to take into account as well.

1. I am by no means earning any money from photography. It is 100% hobby and for fun.
2. Any computer I buy will do double duty, IE checking email or whatever.
3. I am not working right now...
4. I have other expensive hobbies as well

I am all for going for it and getting the right tool for the right job. Personally I am however NOT tech saavy at all. The extent of my tech is checking email and browsing the internet. It doesn't go much beyond that at all. I am barely learning post processing to be honest.

Once I start working again or whatever I end up doing... then I already have a bunch of money spent...

The idea for travel though would be the 'ideal' travel pack... that is light and easy....but allows you to still process pics on the road....
05-10-2016, 08:59 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

True. But you can get a really nice 13" MacBook Pro for the same price as the Cintiq. But the OP doesn't want a Mac either...

An 12.9" iPad Pro with an Apple Pencil would be like half the price of the Cintiq. But again, the OP is anti-Apple.

Last edited by boriscleto; 05-10-2016 at 09:05 AM.
05-10-2016, 09:09 AM   #28

Photos: Albums
I currently use a Surface Pro 2 with the power keyboard attached and the Bluetooth surface mouse (folds flat for transport). Works awesome. Fits basically anywhere, has the power to edit what I need (full desktop apps etc), battery power to spare, and a quick tether to my phone and I have Internet access anywhere. I can't imagine doing all that I do on an ipad or Android tablet (I have access to both as well) with the ease of a desktop computer.

Yes a desktop is obviously better (more horsepower, more storage, more everything), but as cimpact, portable devices go, it can't be beat. And my entire package came to a little over 600. I got the tablet used for just over 400 (was pretty much new, had warranty and everythjng), power keyboard was 200 brand new, and mouse was 40. The thing I like about the surface is it has both the MicroSD slot for more on board space, but a full size USB 3.0 for peripherals. I carry around a 3 port + ethernet hub wherever I go, and I've got all my bases covered.

I'm not a pro, but imo, you can't go wrong with a surface pro. Especially if you can get a good one, cheap, from somewhere like Craigslist.
05-10-2016, 09:10 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I originally tried to do this with an IPad Mini I got as a present. I ran Snapseed (I think) or some editor along those lines and found performance to not really cut it and it was just frustrating, especially with RAW files.

Transferring wirelessly from my KS-2 to my phone is just as good as the iPad (minus screen size) so I still have that option. RAWs kill the phone so I have to just get the jpegs when doing it that way.

Then I bought a MS Surface Pro refurb that is a i5 with 4GB of RAM on eBay for $400 and it's been pretty good. Runs Win10, LR6, Photoshop CS5. Definitely good enough for travel. I added the keyboard case and bring an external drive to move my RAWs off the SSD as needed. Definitely a workable setup and the price wasn't so high I'm paranoid about breaking or losing it.
05-10-2016, 09:13 AM   #30

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I originally tried to do this with an IPad Mini I got as a present. I ran Snapseed (I think) or some editor along those lines and found performance to not really cut it and it was just frustrating, especially with RAW files.

Transferring wirelessly from my KS-2 to my phone is just as good as the iPad (minus screen size) so I still have that option. RAWs kill the phone so I have to just get the jpegs when doing it that way.

Then I bought a MS Surface Pro refurb that is a i5 with 4GB of RAM on eBay for $400 and it's been pretty good. Runs Win10, LR6, Photoshop CS5. Definitely good enough for travel. I added the keyboard case and bring an external drive to move my RAWs off the SSD as needed. Definitely a workable setup and the price wasn't so high I'm paranoid about breaking or losing it.
UAG makes a sweet case for the Surface pro line. They even allow you to keep the branded keyboard covers attached. And they are seriously rugged. I've dropped my surface plenty of times thus far, not a scratch on her