Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-15-2016, 11:31 AM   #1
Site Supporter

No lens data in Apple Photos app

When I show info on a picture in Apple's Photos app it says "No lens info". However, there is lens info in the EXIF data. iPhoto also has this problem. Is anyone encountering this?

05-15-2016, 11:32 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The app probably doesn't have the lens ID definitions for the latest lenses

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-15-2016, 11:33 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Apple is usually the slowest in adapting their software to new developments be it cameras or lenses. IN a month or two they'll probably get to it.
05-15-2016, 11:35 AM   #4
k22
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The app probably doesn't have the lens ID definitions for the latest lenses
This is the DAL 50-200 F4-5.6 ED WR that came out in 2014 I believe.

05-15-2016, 11:50 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

An application like Photos (or Lr or whatever) has to parse some lens ID info as noted. In my experience the variants of the kit lenses don't get parsed since they maybe don't have a lens ID that these applications can figure out. So a DA 50-200 might be found but not a DAL and maybe not a WR variant.

I'd suggest you use a preset or whatever Photos calls them to do a keyword for the lens instead.
05-15-2016, 11:57 AM   #6
k22
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
An application like Photos (or Lr or whatever) has to parse some lens ID info as noted. In my experience the variants of the kit lenses don't get parsed since they maybe don't have a lens ID that these applications can figure out. So a DA 50-200 might be found but not a DAL and maybe not a WR variant.

I'd suggest you use a preset or whatever Photos calls them to do a keyword for the lens instead.
Good suggestion. Will do.
05-23-2016, 11:30 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by k22 Quote
When I show info on a picture in Apple's Photos app it says "No lens info". However, there is lens info in the EXIF data. iPhoto also has this problem. Is anyone encountering this?
Select a photo in Apple Photos and get info. You will see the lens data. You can highlight and copy that text and then create a Smart Album with the instruction to include that lens data and it will work properly.

That extra step should be eliminated in Photos but the lens data is part of the MacOS camera RAW data, so its current status depends on Apple's core OS software being up-to-date.

05-23-2016, 01:01 PM   #8
k22
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Select a photo in Apple Photos and get info. You will see the lens data. You can highlight and copy that text and then create a Smart Album with the instruction to include that lens data and it will work properly.

That extra step should be eliminated in Photos but the lens data is part of the MacOS camera RAW data, so its current status depends on Apple's core OS software being up-to-date.
The problem is there's no lens data.
05-23-2016, 02:01 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by k22 Quote
The problem is there's no lens data.
There is. It's just the MacOS RAW isn't updated to read it yet.
05-23-2016, 04:37 PM   #10
k22
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
There is. It's just the MacOS RAW isn't updated to read it yet.
Yes, it's in the EXIF but the Mac program doesn't show it.
05-24-2016, 09:46 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Unfortunately, Apple Photos is crappy photo app. As you've seen.

I'd suggest another application to organize or mess with images if you wanna do work with exif into or other metadata. There are lots of 'em. From free up to high zoot. One of the very best is the free exiftool, which is a command line Terminal application. But easy to install, and pretty easy to run (just type "exiftool -G ~/Pictures/YourPentax/IMGP1234orwhatever.DNG, hit enter, and you've got a nice categorized list of all exif metadata. Or just copy the lens info and add it as a keyword in Photos.
11-29-2017, 06:08 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry for posting in an old thread - but I discovered this thread via Google while searching for an answer to the same problem and found an answer, albeit a kind of nutty one.

First I should say that it was by no means all of my photos that were missing lens information. It was 150 in the last year or so and it was kinda driving me bonkers - because 4 or 5 would say "No lens information" but then the next 2 would have it, and then the next missing it again, and so forth. It stretched a period of two months. I confirmed via Lightroom that the metadata did indeed contain the lens information so I wasn't sure what the problem was.

I tried repairing the photo library (hit command and option as soon as you open photos and select repair) - That did not work.

Then I made an album with the photos that said "No Lens Information" and exported them to a temporary folder on my desktop (File -> Export -> Export Unmodified...) and then I reimported those files back into the library. Guess what? The lens information was there.

I can't help but wonder if I'm maybe a little OCD to care enough about this to go to these lengths but there you go. I hope that if somebody else finds this thread via Google or otherwise my solution will somehow help.