Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2016, 01:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax Digital Camera Utility 5.5.1 and Pixel Shift on K3II

Hi everyone. We found a blurb on Pentax Rumors that DCU had version 5.5.1 for download, and that it allowed toggling of motion correction on/off for the RAW file of Pixel shift from the K3II camera. I know you can select that mode as I just did it and exported the JPG from it and looked at it in LR 6. I'm home with the flu so I cannot shoot a pic with actual motion in it to see if it works(maybe next week), but I thought you all should know about this and hopefully someone will confirm or not this is working. If it does work it should bring the same benefit as the K1 has just without being able to do it in camera. That is all...

David & Karen

05-15-2016, 01:40 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by David&karen Quote
Hi everyone. We found a blurb on Pentax Rumors that DCU had version 5.5.1 for download, and that it allowed toggling of motion correction on/off for the RAW file of Pixel shift from the K3II camera. I know you can select that mode as I just did it and exported the JPG from it and looked at it in LR 6. I'm home with the flu so I cannot shoot a pic with actual motion in it to see if it works(maybe next week), but I thought you all should know about this and hopefully someone will confirm or not this is working. If it does work it should bring the same benefit as the K1 has just without being able to do it in camera. That is all...

David & Karen
Your link doesn't go where you likely wanted it to go.
05-15-2016, 01:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That is because there is no link in our post, just info. Ymmv.
05-15-2016, 02:43 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by David&karen Quote
That is because there is no link in our post, just info. Ymmv.
There is a link (for word blurb), but possibly not one that you intended. No link...no update nor even a rumor

But wait! A little looking and there it is!

http://pentaxrumors.com/2016/05/14/pentax-digital-camera-utility-5-5-1-released/

also:

Software Downloads : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING

About 1/3 down the page under "Digital Camera Utility 5 Update". Whether 5.5.1 features motion correction for the K-3II would be interesting to see, but I have my doubts unless there has been a corresponding firmware feature update for the camera side. Being that the K-3II is still on its release version firmware...

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-15-2016 at 03:02 PM.
05-15-2016, 03:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Pf must automatically put a link in,we certainly did not. As I(David) have the flu I figured people can look it up if they wish, or ignore if they are not interested.
05-15-2016, 03:38 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have 5.5.1. It has a menu for pixel shift. You can choose to have these:

Camera Setting
Off
On (Motion Correction on)
On (Motion Correction off)

With my K-3II PSs Camera Setting seemed to USE MC. If I used OFF, I got way more artifacts. The ON settings didn't seem to do much. But I couldn't repeat this; the software is so crappy that I only got one change and then subsequent uses of the menu didn't seem to do anything. It does seem to take out artifacts, but it may also be removing the hi res in other parts. It's hard to tell because it just doesn't work well.
05-15-2016, 04:27 PM   #7

As far as I can make out using Google translate on an interview posted 3/22/2016 on DC Watch motion correction is incorporated into the K3ii and cannot be turned off. It seems both cameras (K-1 and K3ii) use basically the same algorithms but it works better on the K-1. Perhaps due to the sensor. Perhaps it will be in the next firmware update for the K3ii. My impression is that it is already a feature of the K3ii. Mind once again this interview was published in March around the time of CP+.

Perhaps one of our Japanese reading members can provide a better translation.

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/interview_dcm/20160322_748845.html

Via Google translate (note: realistic-resolution = Pixel Shift):

QuoteQuote:
The --K-1 of realistic-resolution system, but joined a feature called motion correction, please tell us about this process.

Uehara: In K-1, but may be used as they are of the on / off motion compensation, in fact, have also moving object correction is incorporated in the K-3 II realistic-resolution system, always moving object correction it turned on.

--K-3 II faster-moving, such as automobile subject, but I have noticed is that in which they are processed not in multiple, motion correction of the K-1 had thought it became more powerful.

It can be photographed K-1 realistic Resolution System with motion compensation on, not is stronger in a moving scene than K-3 II that?

Uehara: only sentence in which the number of pixels is increased, but those of the K-1 might fine movement has increased more discrimination can case impression of the subject, the basically the same motion correction algorithm K-3 II also K-1 is adopted it has.

- Such as the scene in which the cloud is flowing, or is that slow the movement of the subject is that the still weak?

Uehara: clouds of flow Toka trees of buzz is a difficult subject for detecting a good movement, we recognize that it just weak realistic-resolution system.

- So, K-1 of a moving object correction off, Will what circumstances has been prepared taking into consideration?

Uehara: because motion compensation by comparing the image of the four shots, which part is moving, or not moving, for it has to determine, what is really at rest and there is a very fine picture I also I'm certain it would determine that the wrong move in.

And a discriminated area moving, replaced with images taken first sheet, since the super-resolution processing is not performed, it becomes the same described as normal shooting. For this reason, such as the still life shooting in the studio, consider the case, such as to shoot a subject that does not work absolutely, I was to be able to shoot with the moving object correction off.

By the way, if you shoot with a realistic-resolution system, so much noise of attitude is less than the normal shooting, the sentence, the person who was taken at a fast shutter speed to increase the sensitivity, with less subject blur I think that a clear image is obtained.

- When you shoot at realistic-resolution system, the line is very thin, I think you better also tonality?

Uehara: normal in the sensor of the Bayer arrangement, because it does not only obtained RGB any one color of information in a single pixel, but has created the color and brightness information that is not enough to estimate the pixel interpolation, realistic Resolution When taken with systems, since all RGB color and luminance information in one pixel is obtained, it is not necessary to interpolation processing, it leads to a final sharpness by going to correct the color reproduction of fine place you.

- In the normal shooting and realistic-resolution system, I think I'm naturally also different over how the sharpness?

Uehara: different. In the case of the realistic-resolution system, since the sputtering and the two points are separated, undershoot, when the sharpness processing, such as put the overshoot, because that would impair the dense detail depiction, large edge portion as much as possible to, you do not put the border, we are emphasizing process so as to reverse to highlight the texture of the parts of the face.

- By using a lens with a magnification chromatic aberration, what happens when you shoot in the realistic-resolution system?

Uehara: If a lens corresponds to a lens correction, but it is output by correcting the chromatic aberration of magnification, more magnification chromatic aberration and it is non-compliant lenses It stands out and clearly (laughs).

- Is there something about the low-pass selector?

Numako: sensor is even in the full-size, K-3 / K-3 II with exactly the same effect of the APS-C can be obtained.

05-16-2016, 08:39 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
As far as I can make out using Google translate on an interview posted 3/22/2016 on DC Watch motion correction is incorporated into the K3ii and cannot be turned off. It seems both cameras (K-1 and K3ii) use basically the same algorithms but it works better on the K-1. Perhaps due to the sensor. Perhaps it will be in the next firmware update for the K3ii. My impression is that it is already a feature of the K3ii. Mind once again this interview was published in March around the time of CP+.

Perhaps one of our Japanese reading members can provide a better translation.

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/interview_dcm/20160322_748845.html

Via Google translate (note: realistic-resolution = Pixel Shift):
I would imagine the K-3II has something going on re motion in camera since in my experience in-camera JPEGs exhibit less artifacting. But not in RAW.

And the correction is something you can do yourself; the in camera variety may sacrifice resolution to get an artifact free image. Look at the images in the "Pixel Shift is Finicky" thread to see examples.
05-20-2016, 05:26 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

David & Karen,

See here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/321244-pixel-shift-motion-...ion-k-3ii.html