Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-19-2016, 10:17 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Searching for a free DNG to JPG batch solution

I know there are many free converters out there but what I would prefer is a simple & quick method to convert my K3 DNG files to a decent quality JPG. My goal is to be able to share online with family or friends in a way that doesn't require the recipient to jump through a bunch of hoops. My search so far has turned up albumizer.com, mentioned today here in this thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/173-general-photography/321293-effort-lazy.html and https://raw.pics.io/convert-dng-to-jpeg which I found by googling. I'd like to get some feedback from the membership on these or other solutions.

05-19-2016, 10:23 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you tried the Pentax DCU software? It can apply the same settings that are available in-camera.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-19-2016, 10:24 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Irfanview has the ability to do some batch functions.
05-19-2016, 10:31 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Lots of the linux utilities have command line Interfaces.

Darktable allows you to set up a preset which can be applied to a selection, including export .

Or even easier, set your camera to generate jpg files, or raw+ which generates two files, a jpg and raw.

05-19-2016, 10:49 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just a question - do you use the second slot for duplicate raw today? If not, then setup for JPG to slot 2 and you are done. You can even set this for reduced resolution if you should desire it. I am guessing you have reasons to not do this but I thought I would post it just in case someone else might need this solution rather than the batch solution you need.
05-19-2016, 11:30 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I probably should have mentioned I use a Mac and for local software would prefer to stick with that. As far as shooting RAW+ or using the second slot for JPG backup, there are a few reasons why I don't. I used to do most of my shooting while dog-walking which normally required multiple shots due to his pulling randomly on the leash, so I filled up the cards quickly . Now that he's gone, I haven't been using my K3 much at all, but I've got a boat-load of processing to catch up on. It's also hard to teach this old dog new tricks; I'm not sure I'm ready to develop a new workflow involving a second JPG-only card and frankly don't see the need to fill up hard drive space with duplicate JPG's. I use Lightroom as my repository and would like to review folders to find individual files to share.
05-19-2016, 12:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

FastStone Image Viewer - Powerful and Intuitive Photo Viewer, Editor and Batch Converter is a fantastic program for this. Unfortunately, I don't think there is a Mac version. I'll add it anyone as others might see this thread and find this software useful.

05-19-2016, 12:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jamarley Quote
I use Lightroom as my repository and would like to review folders to find individual files to share.
You already have the software that does batch conversions. You'll need to process them before converting them to jpeg though.
05-19-2016, 12:37 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you use Lightroom you already have a solution. Just set up an export for whatever size jpeg you want. No need for anything else.
05-19-2016, 02:46 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
If you use Lightroom you already have a solution. Just set up an export for whatever size jpeg you want. No need for anything else.
Yes, I know what Lightroom can do, or at least think I do. Perhaps I should have just replied in the able-mentioned "lazy" thread; I just want something that's a bit quicker than LR and maybe could send right into a container or web portal that could be shared with others. Feel free to tell me I'm missing the obvious here, I just haven't found it LR thus far.
05-19-2016, 03:05 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, I know what Lightroom can do, or at least think I do. Perhaps I should have just replied in the able-mentioned "lazy" thread; I just want something that's a bit quicker than LR and maybe could send right into a container or web portal that could be shared with others. Feel free to tell me I'm missing the obvious here, I just haven't found it LR thus far.
If you'd used Lightroom you'd be done by now.

There isn't anything much faster. You just select all the images, and do File>Export... and choose your settings and destination.

You don't mention what "web portal" you use, but you could use one of Lr's publish services to send them to Flickr, eg. Or use Lr Mobile if you have the CC version: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/how-to/share-photo-gallery.html

Or just export all the JPEGs into a folder and then use Amazon's, Dropbox's or Google's free uploaders to put them all in the cloud and share them.
05-19-2016, 03:15 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That would be lightroom. Either as jpeg or publish to Flickr or Smugmug or to a gallery on a website. Seriously if you have Lightroom you have the ability. And nothing else is going to be faster if you already use LR.
05-19-2016, 03:20 PM   #13
Veteran Member

You can set up Darktable styles to apply in batches, and then export them all as jpegs.
05-20-2016, 12:00 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Memory cards are cheap today. Jpeg only adds about 25% to the space consumption.

I understand you don't want multiple jpegs but with batch processing you probably will anyway. Batch converting are quick and dirty conversion for sharing online for example. But when you have the time, raw files should be treated individually to get the most out of them. Then you will get the second copy (or overwrite the quick and dirty ones). So when you are done batch converting the old files, I recommend to take your time to convert the best ones individually and overwrite the batch processed jpeg.

For the future I recommend the raw+ option in the camera, especially if you don't shoot that much anymore. Then individually process the raws to replace those jpegs.

Last edited by Simen1; 05-20-2016 at 12:08 AM.
05-20-2016, 05:31 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I'm certainly going to give LR another try to do this for me.