Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2016, 06:35 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New confusion with XMP files being "sidecar" with saved JPEG's

Hi all !

When I use Photoshop (CS5) to open a DNG file (K3) it usually "just saves it" as a JPEG, period.
But since today, the process now adds an XMP file next to the JPEG file.
I have not seen this before ...

Why is this happening ?
Is this important ?
Can I delete this XMP file and just keep the JPEG's ?

Please help me find out what's going on and what to do !

Thanks!

05-19-2016, 06:47 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Hi all !

When I use Photoshop (CS5) to open a DNG file (K3) it usually "just saves it" as a JPEG, period.
But since today, the process now adds an XMP file next to the JPEG file.
I have not seen this before ...

Why is this happening ?
Is this important ?
Can I delete this XMP file and just keep the JPEG's ?

Please help me find out what's going on and what to do !

Thanks!
ACR shouldn't be generating XMP's for DNG files, so this is strange. Regardless, XMPs can generally be disabled in ACR's preferences, at the very top of the window.

Did you get a few PEF snaps in there by any chance?

XMP's contain the RAW development settings you used, so if you delete those files you will likely not see your development options the next time you open the raw file.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-19-2016, 07:11 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
ACR shouldn't be generating XMP's for DNG files, so this is strange. Regardless, XMPs can generally be disabled in ACR's preferences, at the very top of the window.

Did you get a few PEF snaps in there by any chance?

XMP's contain the RAW development settings you used, so if you delete those files you will likely not see your development options the next time you open the raw file.
Thanks for the reply, Adam.
I have just re-checked my K3 settings and it is DNG only, nothing else. No PEF's in there.
When I open the files in CS5 (ACR) it does show up as a DNG file alright.
I double checked in Pentax DCU 5 ... DNG file too.

So, if I understand what you say: I'd better keep the XMP file alongside the JPEG's "just in case" ??
Or, should I change the preferences to Camera Raw database instead of Sidecar ".xmp" files, as shown below in a screen capture?
And there is also another place, lower don in the print screen, where it says: DNG File handling: Ignore sidecar ".xmp" files .... something to do with that also?
Attached Images

05-19-2016, 07:32 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I would try changing that setting. Strangely, though, mine currently has the same exact settings as in your screenshot, but I've never seen an XMP with DNG files.

I would also compare the appearance of your DNG with and without the XMP in the same folder.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-19-2016, 07:58 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I would try changing that setting. Strangely, though, mine currently has the same exact settings as in your screenshot, but I've never seen an XMP with DNG files.

I would also compare the appearance of your DNG with and without the XMP in the same folder.
Thanks again, Adam.

How do I do that? ( to compare DNG with/without the XMP)
((I appreciate your time with this)).

JP
05-19-2016, 08:09 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

How do I do that? ( to compare DNG with/without the XMP)
Just open it with the XMP in the folder, then delete or move the XMP and open it again. If the exposure and/or colors differ, then ACR is in fact reading the XMP. Otherwise not

Adam

05-20-2016, 10:55 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just open it with the XMP in the folder
Being a bit dumb here ... what do I have to do in order to do that?
05-20-2016, 12:08 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Being a bit dumb here ... what do I have to do in order to do that?
Well, nothing if it's already there, right? Then delete the XMP and open the DNG again.

Adam

05-20-2016, 12:21 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, nothing if it's already there, right? Then delete the XMP and open the DNG again.
Ok !!
So simple indeed that I couldn't figure this out !!

Thanks for the help.... appreciated !

JP
06-08-2016, 09:42 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the worst thing that could happen if you deleted XMP files is you will loose the previous settings you saved as far as I know

Randy