Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2016, 09:41 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Time lapse question

I understand bulb ramping in timelapse videos to help maintain the brightness during changing light at sunrise or sunset. With the amazing dynamic range of cameras these days if you were to expose an image properly just before sunset and keep the settings you could still recover much detail in a frame taken long after the sun set by increasing the exposure in post production.

My question is: Is there any way in LR (or any other software for that matter) that allows you to have the exposure value increased slowly over a series of images? I have a timelapse taken without bulb ramping so my post-sunset shots are much darker because my first image was exposed while the sun was still up. I can correct for this in lightroom but increasing exposure of my images taken later but my photo series is nearly 800 pictures long. Increasing the exposure of each picture individually would be tedious. Is there a way to have each image increase exposure over the previous by a set amount so that the scene is more evenly lit throughout the timelapse? Obviously the change would have to be extremely subtle to make the transition smooth but I feel if there was some way to do this it would be much easier than using bulb ramping and needing to guess the exposures ahead of time.

Or, perhaps there is some way to edit the final video where brightness slowly increases as the clip progresses? I currently have access to Premier Elements and Powerdirector.

If anyone has any solution to my problem or perhaps another work around I have not considered let me know. The reason I am not using bulb ramping is that the program I use to do so must use the shutter release port on my camera, however, I have a panning time lapse head that also needs to use this port to take a picture between panning movements meaning I must choose between using bulb ramping or my panning head. In this instance, I chose the panning instead.

05-21-2016, 10:19 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I found this site over a year ago (and may not be remembering the details properly) so please cut me some slack if you don't find it useful. He has software that plugs into LR but the tips he gives may be helpful. Not sure this exact link is what you need to have a look around. I remember a video of his that I think was on youtube or vimeo where he talks about the "holy grail" transition from day to night or vice versa and how two edit the images in groups in order to minimize the work
Good luck!
05-21-2016, 04:52 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TomTom Quote
I found this site over a year ago (and may not be remembering the details properly) so please cut me some slack if you don't find it useful. He has software that plugs into LR but the tips he gives may be helpful. Not sure this exact link is what you need to have a look around. I remember a video of his that I think was on youtube or vimeo where he talks about the "holy grail" transition from day to night or vice versa and how two edit the images in groups in order to minimize the work
Good luck!
Thanks! I will give that a look through.