Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What is you max printing size?
I do not print 67.14%
I do not go past 8x12" (A4) or photobooks/magazine size 1922.62%
I printed big at least 1-2 time in my life (20"+) 1011.90%
I printed big at least 1-2 time in my life (40"+) 910.71%
At least a few print per year (3+) cross the 20" size 1821.43%
At least a few print per year (3+) cross the 40" size 1315.48%
I print large 20"+ on a regular basis (20+ / year) 67.14%
I print 40"+ on a regular basis (20+ / year) 33.57%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2016, 11:59 PM   #46

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I thought this thread was about print size.
When has ever a thread stayed on topic?

06-04-2016, 12:53 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Original Poster
So now the poll is closed and the results are visible to everybody... I am sure people wil say the different possibilities should have been different.

A few comments:

Print of 20"+, say 24"x16" or A2.
- 32MP give you 300dpi, 24MP 250 dpi, 16MP 210 and 8MP "only" 150dpi.
Fair viewing distance is 40"-60" and even 8MP would be outresolve the viewer eyes at 60" with 150dpi. 16MP give you 210dpi, and the print will outresolve the viewer eyes from 36" viewing distance and up. So with a 24MP camera, you still have some margin to crop/reframe and get enough resolution. People can stare at small details, and while it might not look perfect, it would look great if you have 16MP+

Print 40"+, say 48"x32" or A0
- 32MP give you 150dpi, 24MP 130 dpi, 16MP 105 and 8MP only 75dpi.
Fair viewing distance is 80"-120". Again 8MP is on the limit, 16MP more than enough. But this time, if the picture is on the wall, the viewer may actually find himself more near to the subject, maybe at 30-40" only and for that you'd like a bit more resolution. Problem is, even 32MP or 36MP would be a bit short. and with margin for cropping you'd want more like 60-100MP to work with.

Clearly for the 30% of people that do not print or print small, all of this is irrelevant... Even if we add the one that print larger from time to time, that's not that relevant. So a bit more than 50% of respondant should not care if they have at least 24MP body. Maybe 16MP is enough, even.

Even for the others, there really only if you print very large 40"+ often and can expect people to look at it from near distance that you'd need to look for a high resolution sensor for your next purchase. Depending of how you see it that's 3.5-19% of respondants.

Let's round it to 5-20%. If you are part of this population, and you expect viewers to look at fine details of your prints, you may want to buy that K1, or better still the latest Phase one or at least the 645Z. You'd benefit of it. At least a bit.

For the other, I'd say don't waste your time, and buy your next body for other reasons: noise, AF, dof control, use your old lenses on the format they were designed for or whatever

Last edited by Nicolas06; 06-04-2016 at 01:00 PM.
06-05-2016, 12:54 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I find the results of this poll to be realistic. Regarding print size, mega pixels are one part of the equation, since we are talking about enlargement. With sufficient sensor size, I fully agree that beyond 24 true Mpixels the interest is limited. Note: I'm sure how 40Mpixels from smartphone looks like printed 40 inches wide, compared to DSLR because I'm seem both displayed side by side. Now, the "how often do you print" and "what's your biggest print" does not match my experience. My experience as a photographer is that I take photos in different places, then I show those photos to interested persons such as relatives, friends or family members (weddings, for instance). All of a sudden, someone likes this photo very much and ask for an enlarged print because they want to have it framed and displayed in their house. I don't know the print size in advance. So, if I have a >=24Mp apsc or larger, I can fulfill most demand cases. Of course I can understand that it's possible to limit printing to photobooks or internet postings, for that a cheapo camera or a phone are just fine.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 06-05-2016 at 01:24 AM.
06-05-2016, 01:44 AM - 1 Like   #49
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I find the results of this poll to be realistic. Regarding print size, mega pixels are one part of the equation, since we are talking about enlargement. With sufficient sensor size, I fully agree that beyond 24 true Mpixels the interest is limited. Note: I'm sure how 40Mpixels from smartphone looks like printed 40 inches wide, compared to DSLR because I'm seem both displayed side by side. Now, the "how often do you print" and "what's your biggest print" does not match my experience. My experience as a photographer is that I take photos in different places, then I show those photos to interested persons such as relatives, friends or family members (weddings, for instance). All of a sudden, someone likes this photo very much and ask for an enlarged print because they want to have it framed and displayed in their house. I don't know the print size in advance. So, if I have a >=24Mp apsc or larger, I can fulfill most demand cases. Of course I can understand that it's possible to limit printing to photobooks or internet postings, for that a cheapo camera or a phone are just fine.
Well here we see that basically you need at least 8MP, 16MP is better. 24MP give you more reframing possibilities...

From my own experience, it also depend a lot of the lens. Whatever we say, not all lenses can be sharp corners to corners and if everything in focus, that can be anoying. My FA77 or the DA35 do the job well for that. The DA15 or DA21 are soso. But that's me that do not want to buy a Samyang or a 16-85 basically, so I can't really complain.

36MP even better. More margins etc. but I feel this is not the primary benefit of K1.

I agree that on the book my syster printed from our trip in india, I always recognize her compact camera shots. Because there flare, and lack of contrast, because in many case details are washed out, in particular on borders, because if there a bit less light there significant noise... But for her, it is still nice... People have different expectations.

06-07-2016, 03:45 AM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
People have different expectations.
That is the key phrase, those who know what they are doing will spot the defects, tell you you should have done this that or the other, used different paper even mount and hang the photo a different way, those who don't know will be quite happy they have something to look at.
06-07-2016, 11:50 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PenPusher Quote
That is the key phrase, those who know what they are doing will spot the defects, tell you you should have done this that or the other, used different paper even mount and hang the photo a different way, those who don't know will be quite happy they have something to look at.
Yes and when you produce for others, as a pro, you don't really need to adapt to what you think or want but to what your client want. If they want you with big camera and lens, then you need them. if they signed a contract with Canon for all the gear, you get Canon. If they don't see the difference anyway in quality, this is not really your problem as long as they are happy.
06-07-2016, 11:52 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PenPusher Quote
Yes and when you produce for others, as a pro, you don't really need to adapt to what you think or want but to what your client want. If they want you with big camera and lens, then you need them. if they signed a contract with Canon for all the gear, you get Canon. If they don't see the difference anyway in quality, this is not really your problem as long as they are happy.

Quite often if you deliver, many client will not care one bit of the technique and some pro will just get it done with a fuji mirrorless and everybody will be happy.

For the book, the cut of some page was a bit, off, it show, and that my system didn't like.