Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2016, 09:59 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Where to get poster-size print?

I have some wall space I thought I might put 3 or 4 biggish (20x30 or 24x36) prints on. Aerial shot of NYC, various scenics, etc.

I googled the following sources:

BayPhoto.com

fullcolor.com

and posterbrain.com

The first 2 have various mounting options, and stretched canvas for $137 and up.

Posterbrain is way cheaper ($19.00, plus finishing options about $45.00), with good reviews.

Anyone have recommendations

06-02-2016, 10:54 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use Mpix or Mpix Pro. Have also heard good things about Adoramapix.

Depending on the quality you need you might also look at Costco. I've had work done there and it was fine. Print quality was excellent but paper / canvas was a little thinner, cheaper. I don't use them for prints I'm selling any more but for my own use I would have no problem with them and the cost was significantly less.
06-02-2016, 11:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Take a look at White wall. They will print in RGB almost all others print in sRGB. This is also dependent on if you are using an RGB screen for post.
06-02-2016, 12:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AdoramaPix did a great job putting a 24x36 print on metal for me, and shipped it to Alaska, in about 4 days. Very happy with them and if my local camera store hadn't just gotten a large printer for those type of prints I'd definitely use them again

06-02-2016, 01:27 PM   #5

I've used Adorama with success and also Groupon for canvas prints. But for the prints the size you are talking I use Costco because they do really good work with a great price and I don't have shipping costs since I pick it up at my local store. Somewhere I have seen profiles for each locations printer that are updated every 6 months or so. These allow you set you screen to match what will come out of a specific printer.
06-02-2016, 03:29 PM   #6

I had a great affordable experience with these people Shortrunposters.com - Affordable Custom Poster Printing
06-29-2016, 09:35 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for all the suggestions - I went with CanvasDiscount. Has good reviews
(and cheap specials) so we will see...should be here next week.

May have gone a bit overboard, but I can always rotate them on display...

20 x 30s

Name:  2016-06-28_180351.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  48.4 KB

8 x 12's
Name:  2016-06-28_190118.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  160.1 KB
07-03-2016, 05:31 PM   #8
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Thanks for all the suggestions - I went with CanvasDiscount. Has good reviews
(and cheap specials) so we will see...should be here next week.

May have gone a bit overboard, but I can always rotate them on display...

20 x 30s
costco for 20x30 is the best option, by far, you can proof the images on your monitor using the downloadable printer profiles, as was mentioned earlier, and also print smaller size test pics beforehand, to verify the processing.

unfortunately 20x30 is the biggest size they have, and even their lustre paper is pretty reflective.

07-06-2016, 08:48 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
They arrived today. 6 big ones stacked in a flat box, and 12 small ones in another flat box, 2 layers of 6 each. Big ones had smallish bubble-wrap around each one. Small ones had thin foam sheeting around each. All well wrapped and taped, though mostly open on the back. However, one small one had a 3/4 inch scratch which should be easy to touch up.

The green grass in the devil's tower shot was kind of muted, and I could subjectively argue the tad-dark exposure on the Grand Central shot, but overall very nice color and exposure, material and mounting. The back of each had a bar-code and my filename printed on it.

They shipped in a day or so, and got from Florida to California in 3 days.

The day after my orders, they sent an email promo with even better prices but refused to apply the difference of $39.00 to my orders (of over $450) - which were still in transit. They said it was "impossible" to do, which is of course BS. I do it all the time at my work - often much later than a day. So, there's that.

I put up the small ones already but need some wire and hardware for the big ones, so I should be good by the weekend.

Last edited by SpecialK; 07-06-2016 at 09:32 PM.