Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2016, 10:43 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Potential Linux Mint based workflow questions

Hi there, I am starting to toss ideas around for replacements, and am looking at a replacement workflow involving Linux (Mint). I am already using Libre Office/Opera for productivity and browsing. I'm running close to the end of service life for my wife's laptop, and want to give her mine with a clean Win 10 install.

Since I own a bunch of eclectic cameras (Fuji, Panasonic, Ricoh, Pentax), my raw processing choices vary in terms of workflow.

Currently, I am running a Lenovo U410 laptop on Win 7 64bit, with a low res screen. I am currently using LR (5.7), bundled silkypix for Fuji and Panasonic). I am using a Huey Pro for screen calibration (such as it is with a TN screen), and a cheap Kodak printer that does far better than it should.

The last time I did this exercise (2012), my key concerns were with colour management, and raw conversion.

Tentatively, I'd be looking at Corel based products (hey, I am in Canada after all) for raw conversion, tied to potential use of Silkypix (or maybe something better for the Fuji). I've also started looking at Blender for video work (I am casual at best, but am looking to learn). I am looking at print output, and to Flickr for photos, and maybe DVD/Blu ray for video/ Backup. Also worth thinking about is the backup software. I'm running router based storage, and a box style network drive.

In terms of hardware, I'll be making a desktop (my first in 7 years), something compact, but capable of taking in a couple of 3.5" form factor drives, with a bit of processing and graphical horse power, but quiet enough to stay in the corner. I can compromise on form factor a bit for the right motherboard, but I do need quiet. Finally, I'll be getting another monitor in the 23-27" range that needs to have decent colour and be IPS.

That's a lot to think about, but I do like to think of the end to end element of this whole exercise.

General comments very welcome, but specifically:

1. Linux users: how are you managing colour profiling?
2. Have you been able to run current Silkypix on Linux (specifically Mint)?
3. For a colour monitor, what would you suggest (budget 200-500)?

06-04-2016, 11:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I just use Darktable and have never considered using Silkypix on Mint. Colour profiling is for people who can afford a monkey.
06-04-2016, 01:34 PM   #3
Pentaxian

First why you do not update your laptop to windows 10 and then when you download and upgrade you will have to register with your email with Microsoft but this is good while you just have to register once and afterwords you can use this registration to have free windows on your next PC build and install there clean win 10 (if you need more info on this let me know). Then there is plenty of free software for windows as well like DxO Optics Pro 9.5.4 Elite (until Aug-31 can be downloaded from German site) and even older version of Photoshop was given once for free just have to find download (I posted link on Pentax forums at that point, you just have to find it) and you are good to go or go with PS free alternative GIMP and once you learn it it will be almost as powerful as PS.

Personally I will stick with Windows as I was using Mint before but it does not cut it in terms of software. YMMW

Last edited by RAART; 06-04-2016 at 01:39 PM.
06-04-2016, 03:43 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clockworkrat Quote
I just use Darktable and have never considered using Silkypix on Mint. Colour profiling is for people who can afford a monkey.
I'm a cut down monkey then with the Huey...

---------- Post added 06-04-2016 at 06:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RAART Quote
First why you do not update your laptop to windows 10 and then when you download and upgrade you will have to register with your email with Microsoft but this is good while you just have to register once and afterwords you can use this registration to have free windows on your next PC build and install there clean win 10 (if you need more info on this let me know). Then there is plenty of free software for windows as well like DxO Optics Pro 9.5.4 Elite (until Aug-31 can be downloaded from German site) and even older version of Photoshop was given once for free just have to find download (I posted link on Pentax forums at that point, you just have to find it) and you are good to go or go with PS free alternative GIMP and once you learn it it will be almost as powerful as PS.

Personally I will stick with Windows as I was using Mint before but it does not cut it in terms of software. YMMW
Good thoughts.
I'd be into the Win 10 license thing, since from what I am hearing, there are significant limitations for Win 10 OEM licenses related to combination identifiers from hard drive, and bios/motherboard built into the mix. Translation: Microsoft doesn't want you to use OEM licenses for anything other than a purchased system, even if you only want to replace the hard drive.

TBH, I'm getting a bit jaded with being tracked on everything I do. I've been a part of the whole web thing since inception, and the amount of tracking and bloatware on machines is wearing me quite a bit. This is not what I signed up for.
Win 10 is pretty bad for this (TBH, it's just caught up with Google), as are adobe products, and there are now limited opt-outs. That and the number of updates required is killing me.

In that light, I'm curious to hear about why you think Mint can't cut it (or ubuntu, which I was also looking at). Please PM me if you need to, or I can you.

06-04-2016, 04:26 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Have you had a look a Corel Aftershot Pro? You can down load a trial for free but you have pay for the long term licence. I use it on Ubuntu 14.04LTS and ASP v.2.4 works a treat, I'm finding v.3 a bit more troublesome but it has only just been released and is a bit buggy. I vaguely recall that v.3 is only released in 64bit whilst 2.4 was available in both, if your kit is "matured" I would think v2.4 in 32bit would be an option. Take a look here: AfterShot Pro - Official Homepage

Nick
06-04-2016, 05:55 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clockworkrat Quote
Darktable and Linux is an excellent combination...and dcrawps of course, which allows simple extraction of 16 bit tiff layers from pixel shift images, and also provides for motion correction of PS images, although I've not compared that with the latest version of DCU.
One of the really good features of Darktable is profiled noise reduction, very effective.
Just my two bobs worth.

Cheers,
Terry
06-13-2016, 09:30 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I totally forgot to reply to you (@Clarkey)... Sorry!

The Mint/Ubuntu is ok for me if I do surf the net and use open source software but Adobe CC does not run on it as well as other software I have licence and use. That is what I meant with does not cut it. I admit that Gimp is powerful but still I just learned how to deal with Lightroom and learning curve with Gimp will be too much (do not have time now, busy life). Also I do not deal too much with Linux therefore I cannot troubleshoot small problems like with windows. That is everything.

But as you are fairly close if you need any advice or help building a PC I can help you for sure with that. Again sorry that I did not reply but I went to Laval and saw your reply on cell but forget to submit when I got back.
06-14-2016, 04:46 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RAART Quote
I totally forgot to reply to you (@Clarkey)... Sorry!

The Mint/Ubuntu is ok for me if I do surf the net and use open source software but Adobe CC does not run on it as well as other software I have licence and use. That is what I meant with does not cut it. I admit that Gimp is powerful but still I just learned how to deal with Lightroom and learning curve with Gimp will be too much (do not have time now, busy life). Also I do not deal too much with Linux therefore I cannot troubleshoot small problems like with windows. That is everything.

But as you are fairly close if you need any advice or help building a PC I can help you for sure with that. Again sorry that I did not reply but I went to Laval and saw your reply on cell but forget to submit when I got back.
Hi there - absolutely no problem! I appreciate your response. In terms of LR, that's good to know, and not really surprising to me - their OS support for other than the big two is essentially absent. I do have some Linux knowledge (ironically through work) so that is less of an issue for me.

I think with all of the other good suggestions (AftershotPro, and Darktable in particular), I may get and assemble replacement hardware (starting with a monitor), and do the trial thing. If course, I am in the recovery end of a basement leak, so this may be a longer term project.

Thanks!

06-14-2016, 06:26 AM   #9
Pentaxian

When I had Mint running on one of the PC's I use to use UFRaw as plugin for Gimp but that is all I used.
Corel with their Aftershot Pro 3 runs on Ubuntu (should be fine with Mint as well) and this is honestly your best option but it will cost you.
Also I do not know if they support already K-1 and K-3II. I know that K-3 is supported and depending now what camera you have it may be the best solution.

I tried Aftershot Pro 3 (on win10Pro) and I liked it but went with Adobe CC.
I heard that following software is really good on Linux: digiKam and Entangle, Geeqie, Fotoxx.

There are some plugins for Gimp that I have installed after doing some research and I like them: Vignette, Split Tone, National Geographic and G'MIC... You might try them know if you have already Linux running on one machine.

I want to say GIMP with UFRaw and those plugins you should try first.

Good that I kept that list with names of the software when I had Linux running on PC but that machine got motherboard fried (Dell PC) and that was end of it but it was good machine with Q6600 Quad core 2.4 CPU and enough RAM with ATI graphic card and 2x Samsung 840 Evo SSD's. It was very, very fast machine under Linux Mint and Ubuntu. I had two drives with 2 OS and just swap them depending what I used. It was the fastest running PC that I had... Never had I problem until MB broke and took one of the SSD's with (the other one was disconnected).

Good luck with basement... I am also looking for monitor and in my experience Dell is unbeatable. I still have one display that runs daily since 2004 without any problems. It was one of their Ultrasharp series.

I am eyeing UP2716D and UP2516D.
06-14-2016, 06:47 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have ASP and GIMP as my tools of choice on my highish spec (i5, 24GB, SSD, dual screen) Ubuntu desktop and the combination blows my Adobe CC/Win10 (similar HW spec) out of the water. I have the luxury of both systems in my study and the Ubuntu set up is the one I use 85% of the time as it is just so much faster. I have debated whether to keep my Adobe CC subscription going as it comes up for renewal in September and even rang Adobe to cancel it, they told me there were no refunds and would give me an extra month free if I continued, so I have.

Nick