Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2016, 06:14 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I shoot RAW+JPEG, and sorting for me happens with Picasa Editor. Candidate RAW files will be marked with a star, and moved to a Keeper folder that gets backed up to the OneDrive cloud. Some less interesting shots will have their JPEGs dropped straight into Google Drive as finished, without any PP.

The keepers then get brought into Lightroom CC, and by plugin are often sent to the Nik Collection, and rarely, Photoshop CC.

The final export goes into Google Drive.
So LR and Nik, but in your opinion there's no real benefit to DxO over Nik (or LR?) for instance on RAW processing?

06-16-2016, 06:23 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
So LR and Nik, but in your opinion there's no real benefit to DxO over Nik (or LR?) for instance on RAW processing?
I'm not a DxO user, Gatorguy ... I'll leave that assessment up to people who know both products inside out!

Others really love CaptureOne, for instance.
06-16-2016, 11:34 PM   #18

I have recently changed my processing. I now open my DNG files with ACR straight from my SD card. I then fix & save to a file on my HD the ones I want to keep & leave the others alone. When done I can erase the SD card or not. If I have a PS pic I open with PDCU & save. This fixes & selects the photos I want all at the same time.
06-17-2016, 08:23 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I gotta say that if you are a Ps user I don't see why you wouldn't get the Photo CC subscription since it's WAY cheaper than Lr and Ps or Lr and Optics Pro. You could use Bridge/Lr after your subscription ends to do everything but what the Map and Develop modules do, for free ad infinitum, so that with DxO and CS6 might work pretty well for you.

But in any case the cool thing about DxO is that from Lr you send an unadjusted DNG to DxO. Then make your adjustments, and DxO can send a DNG BACK to Lr, so if you needed to use some tools in Lr then you would be still working on a RAW. They have an explanation on the website of that workflow.

DxO itself has very few tools for dealing with organization or metadata; for that you're far better off with Lr or similar tools.

06-17-2016, 09:51 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
I gotta say that if you are a Ps user I don't see why you wouldn't get the Photo CC subscription since it's WAY cheaper than Lr and Ps or Lr and Optics Pro. You could use Bridge/Lr after your subscription ends to do everything but what the Map and Develop modules do, for free ad infinitum, so that with DxO and CS6 might work pretty well for you.

But in any case the cool thing about DxO is that from Lr you send an unadjusted DNG to DxO. Then make your adjustments, and DxO can send a DNG BACK to Lr, so if you needed to use some tools in Lr then you would be still working on a RAW. They have an explanation on the website of that workflow.

DxO itself has very few tools for dealing with organization or metadata; for that you're far better off with Lr or similar tools.
Thanks for the input Rob. My thoughts on the subscription route are once committed I'd be pretty much stuck. Without an active license there can be issues accessing your own content if I've understood user comments correctly. I have an active Adobe CS6 license so ready access to Photoshop should I need it for some specific task. My interest in LR was as a non-destructive editing container and organizing library. Currently there's almost no difference between the subscription and standalone versions so feature-wise it doesn't look like I'll be missing out and LR6 standalone was available to me at a slight discount, about 14 months worth of subscription payments. On top of that Adobe has been darn slow at making any major upgrades to LR since they began the subscription program as far as I can tell.

I've been pretty happy with many of the Nik plugins and combined LR and the supposedly better (and faster) RAW batch processing and noise reduction of OpticsPro Elite11 it seems like a good choice, but that's why I asked here. My total expense will come to about $290 one-time, or 29 months of subscription payments if I had opted for CC. But it should give me better results than CC alone shouldn't it? Is there another way of integrating OpticsPro and maybe Nik with a different cataloging program and avoid LR altogether?
06-17-2016, 01:52 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

. My thoughts on the subscription route are once committed I'd be pretty much stuck. Without an active license there can be issues accessing your own content if I've understood user comments correctly.
Only if you keep your finished files on their servers and nowhere else. I don't know anyone who does that.

I don't do anything different from when I used the standalone version (which is still on my laptop).

06-17-2016, 02:01 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Only if you keep your finished files on their servers and nowhere else. I don't know anyone who does that.

I don't do anything different from when I used the standalone version (which is still on my laptop).
Thanks for clarifying Clackers

06-18-2016, 09:00 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the input Rob. My thoughts on the subscription route are once committed I'd be pretty much stuck. Without an active license there can be issues accessing your own content if I've understood user comments correctly. I have an active Adobe CS6 license so ready access to Photoshop should I need it for some specific task. My interest in LR was as a non-destructive editing container and organizing library. Currently there's almost no difference between the subscription and standalone versions so feature-wise it doesn't look like I'll be missing out and LR6 standalone was available to me at a slight discount, about 14 months worth of subscription payments. On top of that Adobe has been darn slow at making any major upgrades to LR since they began the subscription program as far as I can tell.

I've been pretty happy with many of the Nik plugins and combined LR and the supposedly better (and faster) RAW batch processing and noise reduction of OpticsPro Elite11 it seems like a good choice, but that's why I asked here. My total expense will come to about $290 one-time, or 29 months of subscription payments if I had opted for CC. But it should give me better results than CC alone shouldn't it? Is there another way of integrating OpticsPro and maybe Nik with a different cataloging program and avoid LR altogether?
Actually, using Lr for free after a subscription ends is pretty sweet. You only lose Develop and Map modules; all the organizational stuff is still there. I think even Quick Develop. Probably not new RAW converters though. And your files aren't ever inaccessible; Lr uses a database to store metadata edits and adjustments, but you can write metadata to files, so all your keywording, captions, geolocation, etc is always there. In short, there is no way you'd lose access to your own content.

With the standalone you lose Photoshop. And Lr has been making upgrades; they have added Pentax pixel shift support, perspective and haze tools that are a match for what DxO has, HDR merging in Lr, synching raw to mobile devices via Lr Mobile, etc.

I also have Optics Pro, and they upgrade pretty regularly, but no pixel shift support for Pentax. So in that sense they're behind Lr. And I'd say paid upgrades seem to come within say 18 months, so in that 29 mo window you might have to pay another $70 or so if you wanna stay current.

But it's really Ps that makes the CC plan an excellent deal.

In any case, as I said try the trial and just keep using it free and see how far that takes you. Free is nice.
06-21-2016, 11:36 AM   #24
Forum Member

For me, after trying various options I have found that Capture One produces the best output for me. This is my workflow:

Edit my shoot in Capture One in a session NOT a catalog. I then import the contents of the Selects and Output folders into Photo Supreme where I tag all the photos.

I also use Photoshop when I need heavy editing.
06-22-2016, 12:46 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Does the LR to OpticsPro to LR make sense or am I overcomplicating it? I just now began working in OpticsPro, am getting somewhat comfortable with Nik and its various plug-ins, and have zero experience with Lightroom. My current workflow had been browse with Bridge and preview with the magnifier, open the DNG if it's worthy with Photoshop and minimal adjustments to vibrance and such, then mostly Nik tools before saving as a JPEG.
It makes sense if that is what works for you. I was using that type of workflow (on occasion), but only when I couldn't get what I wanted out of LR (usually in terms of NR). DxO provides a plugin and export feature that makes the roundtrip easy.

However, for me, LR was only about PP, so as I move to a DxO only workflow I am phasing out LR completely. I catalog using an independent program for cataloging. The benefit to that is that I can PP using whatever software I want and keep myself out of a subscription program.
07-07-2016, 07:41 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For those using DXO and NOT using lightroom what catalog software are you using and why?
07-07-2016, 09:23 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I use DxO for RAW processing (not necessarily exclusively). I use IMatch 5.5 (Windows only) for cataloging. I've been using that software for about 13 years.

I use it because it has quite a complex feature-set. It allows for hierarchical keywording and hierarchical categories. I was using it prior to LR's existence, and I like that it can stand-alone for whatever PP software I choose. I also like that it natively can handle versions. Create a new variant of a photo and the software can recognize it is a version of an original and take on the characteristics of your choice and stack them together (or not). It works well no matter what PP software I use, and it is great at managing metadata.

The software is quite complex and can take a little work to learn and setup, but once you learn it, it's usage is quite rewarding. I personally, plan on completely abandoning LR, especially if the Affinity software ends up in Windows as planned.
07-08-2016, 09:57 AM   #28

I already have copied all my RAW files in a folder. What downloader/organizer software can i use to move them into Folders named by date, year ? And maybe i have option while importing from SD to add one more parameter to the folder name ?
I will likely keep on using LR 6 for developing and cataloging. I use Picasa also at times as i like it's scrolling fast and quick for photos.
Any benefits to using DxO or NIK in place of LR 6 ? I do plan to use photoshop for any serious editing if required.
07-08-2016, 02:10 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Urnamaster13 Quote
I already have copied all my RAW files in a folder. What downloader/organizer software can i use to move them into Folders named by date, year ? And maybe i have option while importing from SD to add one more parameter to the folder name ?
I will likely keep on using LR 6 for developing and cataloging. I use Picasa also at times as i like it's scrolling fast and quick for photos.
Any benefits to using DxO or NIK in place of LR 6 ? I do plan to use photoshop for any serious editing if required.
Lightroom does that. You have all kinds of folder renaming options, although I gotta say folder names are a rather limiting and inflexible way of organizing photos compared to other methods. But they do need SOME name obviously.

DxO and Nik both tout better editing tools for some chores than Lr. Some find them worth it, some don't. Try 'em and see if they work for you.
07-09-2016, 10:08 AM   #30
Veteran Member

You can use LR to rename and even download files. I use Downloader Pro to bring photos from my camera cards directly onto the computer. It has a lot of detailed options so that my images get downloaded into folders like the following:

YYYY\YYYY-MM-DD - [Shoot Desc]\YYYYMMDD-CAMID-####.DNG

The software asks for [Shoot Desc] when I insert a card and the remaining fields are automatic. CAMID is based on a token that identifies the camera by Brand, Model, and SN. I defined it to be a 4 character code so that I can quickly identify the camera that took the photo.

I also can use IMatch, which I described previously, to do similar. It doesn't have all the features for renaming, but it makes up for it in full-fledged cataoging ability. As a cataloger, it is much fuller featured than LR.

I will say, however, that the better your cataloging software, the less important your file names and folders are. That being said, it doesn't hurt to have some order. It allows you to verify your catalog is doing what you expect. It allows you to navigate and transfer photos outside your software (to a limited extent). I will occasionally take photos with me from various shoots to edit, and having the folders organized by shoot allows me to grab a folder and work outside my catalog when I am away. IMatch and even LR will let you work away from your files (through their cache), but neither are really network optimized, so I don't count on them, and the issues for transferring across computers are not seemless.

What I do like about IMatch is that it manages metadata in the same fashion as LR, but it allows me to use any PP software and maintain my hierarchical keywords. In LR, I can browse my Keywords I input in IMatch, and I can do the same in any other software that has some library built in. IMatch also automatically flattens keywords for online use, and allows me to exclude different levels of the hierarchy as I define. Finally, it's version management functions are better than most cataloging software. I can create an edit in DxO, LR, RawTherapee, etc, and as long as things are setup right, IMatch will stack them all together into a nice set and keep the keywords in sync.

IMatch is not the only option for such features, but they usually cost more or do a bit less. IDImager was a similar software, but I'm not sure it's around anymore. PhotoMechanic may also have similar functions. And ACDSee was on its way to being similar to LR and IMatch. I've not checked on it recently.

I do like that software like IMatch, don't tie you into a specific PP workflow. I already want to abandon LR based on the subscription features and needs. Using IMatch means I don't have to worry about losing my catalog.