Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2008, 02:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Test: DxO K20D - full size comparisons

Now, that DxO in v5.2 added support for the Pentax K20D, I decided to run some tests.

I found RAWs for 3 of the supported lenses in my archive. So, I will present results for 3 lenses.

There is little point to test DxO with lenses it has no module for. This is because without a DxO lens module available, there is little difference noticeable at first sight. For the lenses used in this test there now is a lens module available.

The images on the left hand side are as processed by Lightroom 4.4.1 with standard settings. The images on the right hand side (or below on small screens) are processed by DxO 5.2 with standard settings. Click on the images to see the main improvement! Maybe, load into two browser tabs and flip between them. (Make sure your browser didn't downsize the images for display (maybe, click to enlarge)). There is no sharpening applied in either converter!

Plane (DA 50-200mm @ 200mm, f/8
>

Fence (DA 50-200mm @ 200mm, f/5.6
>

Field (DA 50-200mm @ 200mm, f/5.6)
>

Tree (DA 50-200mm @ 50mm, f/8)
>

Wolff (DA* 50-135mm @ 135mm, f/8)
>

Street (DA 12-24mm @ 12mm, f/8)
>

Note #1: I have noticed later that the differences in overall image brightness have been caused by the "DxO lighting" module, which is "ON" by default. However, I wanted to highlight the improvement in resolution and aberration correction. Those are obvious enough and I hope the difference in image brightness isn't an obstacle. BTW, images with better glass typically didn't come out that brighter, so think of the image brightness correction as a correction of global contrast eaten by a lens.

Note #2: I am sorry but I couldn't find more images with fully open aperture where the effect should be visible even more.

This is the list of available lens modules at the moment:
  • Pentax smc D-FA 50mm f/2.8 Macro
  • Pentax smc DA 16-50mm f/2.8 ED AL [IF] SDM
  • Pentax smc DA 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 AL (**)
  • Pentax smc DA 50-135mm f/2.8 ED [IF] SDM
  • Pentax smc DA 50-200mm f/4-5.6 ED
  • Samsung 18-250mm f/3.5-5.6 or
    Tamron AF18-250mm f/3.5-5.6 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) or
    Pentax DA 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3
  • Samsung D-XENON 12-24mm or
    Pentax smc DA 12-24mm f/4

Look at the images yourself.

My personal verdict:

DxO is positioned as a RAW converter. It may not be competitive with Lightroom, however.

Nevertheless, when it comes to the lens-specific correction modules I think that they just are a must for any and every lens supported. They bring the lens in a higher price league, or offer a performance no money can buy (there is no 18-250 lens with DxO's performance).

For entry level glass (kit lenses), the effect is simply amazing all over the image.

For medium glass like the DA* 50-135 or DA 12-24, the effect is less obvious in the centre-part and it could be argued that some of the artifacts are too strong. Still, for the outer areas of the image, the effect still is amazing.

I would suspect that only high-end primes wouldn't benefit much from DxO. But there aren't any modules for them anyway. It would be interesting if somebody could provide a RAW from a K20D + DFA50 f/2 Macro, though

If you frequently shoot with a single supported lens than DxO is a must buy.

I would recommend to pre-process RAW->DNG with only lens module corrections all images to be considered keepers. Touch up work may still be better elsewhere.

I would like to see a LR-plugin (DxO already runs as Photoshop import plugin). And more modules, of course!

--
(**): The DA 18-55 mm is recognized by DxO. It has a different lens-ID than the DA 18-55 II. Does anybody know if it does recognize the DA 18-55 II as well? And if so, which correction is the proper one (only one module, but lenses do differ)?

Last edited by falconeye; 07-17-2008 at 05:14 AM.
07-21-2008, 07:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Interesting write-up. Thanks for posting this.
07-21-2008, 03:06 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I would like to see a LR-plugin (DxO already runs as Photoshop import plugin). And more modules, of course!
DxO 5.2 does run (sort of) as a LR plugin. Check the site. There is a downloadable PDF with the steps for setting it up. It works similarly to any other LR external editor.

Having run a few tests on images taken over the weekend, I agree that DxO does a much better job as a lens correction device than as a RAW converter. I am turning off everything but the lens corrections, as you suggested. I found that DxO does not do as good a job at basic exposure and white balance corrections as does LR.
07-21-2008, 04:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

from the images it looks like dxo isn't resolving more detail but is presenting it sharper, better contrast and correcting for lens issues much better. Now if they can get the whole lightroom thing down they will have a winner.

11-03-2009, 02:49 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

falconeye,

Is there any chance you could updaye the links for these photos. I would really appreciate it as I am pondering purchasing DxO.

Either way, thanks for all you contribute!
11-03-2009, 03:04 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pictures are not allowed to be seen - subscription needed for DxO?
11-03-2009, 03:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Pictures are not allowed to be seen - subscription needed for DxO?
I think the issue is with the image host - pic-upload.de - not DXO.

DXO btw is available for 33% off at the moment, until 31 Dec 2009. It's a new v6 version too.