Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2016, 05:25 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Seeking advice on Raw Therapee correction settings for radioactive Takumar yellowing

Just what it says in the title - if anyone out there is shooting a yellowed Takumar that they haven't treated yet, and you've found settings that would help correct for this, what are they?

It also occurred to me that I might make the correction under hue or white balance correction in-camera (K-5, current firmware); any suggestions as to whether this might work and how?

06-21-2016, 05:55 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To set white balance manually you need to use a white card. P185 of the manual describes the process in some detail. I would suggest that this process would work but only in those particular light conditions. I doubt that using a setting to compensate for the lens would work in all conditions.
06-22-2016, 12:42 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would think a gray card and adjusting white balance would be adequate. If you are looking for something automatic, I suspect you won't find it too easy unless you experiment to see if you can use the same temperature correction regardless of where you are in terms of light temperature.
07-04-2016, 04:33 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Wellll.... here we go. In search of something fun to do, I threw the radioactive Tak onto the K-5 and started playing around with the presets. I discovered that if I set it to "muted", all the yellow colour cast is gone. Vanished. Disappeared. And this even gets written into the raw files.

Mine not to reason why. Of course the lens is hellishly soft, useless for crisp detail wide open, but it does produce a rather interesting "seventies colour film" effect that has its own charm. I may yet Single with it at some stage, once I've finished my trip down the 30/20mm spiral over the next couple of months.