Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2016, 07:02 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Who Needs A Monitor To Critically Review Photos You Make? Not Me!

My main computer went down 5 days ago.

Since then I've been using my wife's little old Dell laptop.

I took a few jpg's with my K1 today. They didn't look very good when viewed on the laptop (no photos look good in its' crummy little screen).

I took the memory chip downstairs and plugged it into the back of my 4K TV. WOW, did they look great, even better (MUCH better) then they do on my 27" NEC computer monitor.

Moral, if you want to critically review your really important images, I can think of no better way to view them then on a giant 4K TV (if you have one).

06-21-2016, 08:27 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
HDMI straight from K1 into TV. I think that might work.
06-22-2016, 01:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

People talk 4K TVs down by saying there is not much 4K material to view yet, but they tend do forget that they have years of their own best memories in 4K or higher resolution.
06-22-2016, 01:56 AM - 1 Like   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Dave, while the photos may look great on that TV, tread warily... the colour temperature, saturation, brightness, contrast and sharpening settings on these TVs - especially straight out of the box - are usually set to give a massive amount of unrealstic "punch" and the reproduction you'll see isn't an accurate representation. What looks great on your TV probably won't look great to others on their PCs / Macs - at the very least, it will look considerably different. If you're just going to view photos, it's fine - but if you're critically reviewing them, you'd be wise to get hold of a TV calibration DVD to help get all of the settings just right. It takes about 20 minutes and is well worth the effort

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-22-2016 at 03:18 AM.
06-22-2016, 06:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
`98Also, what res does the K1 output at through HDMI? I think the K3 outputs only at 720. Please correct me if I'm mistaken=
06-22-2016, 06:21 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Who Needs A Monitor To Critically Review Photos You Make? Not Me!

We have an 8K TV in the lab where I work. It's pretty stunning, almost hypnotic. I should try putting some pics on that.
06-22-2016, 06:27 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
you'd be wise to get hold of a TV calibration DVD to help get all of the settings just right. It takes about 20 minutes and is well worth the effort
I always wondered about that. I recently got my hands on 1080p vizio, curious if it would be enough to edit photos if i where to calibrate it. It would have to be better than my cheapo acer monitor or so I would think. Or would calibrating the monitor do just the same? Any ideas?

06-22-2016, 07:24 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't know if my TV has any Ks....
06-22-2016, 07:47 AM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by W.j.christy Quote
I always wondered about that. I recently got my hands on 1080p vizio, curious if it would be enough to edit photos if i where to calibrate it. It would have to be better than my cheapo acer monitor or so I would think. Or would calibrating the monitor do just the same? Any ideas?
You could use it (a 1080p screen is fine for Lightroom etc.), but whether the quality of the displayed image at a pixel level would be equal to that of a monitor is difficult to say (I suspect it wouldn't, even after calibration). You're better off, typically, using a computer monitor than a TV. You still need to calibrate a PC monitor for accurate colour / brightness / contrast etc. and that's where devices like the X-Rite ColorMunki Display tool come in. That said... if you've already got the Vizio, there's no harm in trying it - once you've calibrated it, that is. Without that step, I wouldn't even begin to try previewing / editing images
06-22-2016, 08:18 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
are usually set to give a massive amount of unrealstic "punch" and the reproduction you'll see isn't an accurate representation.
And don't even think of printing based on what you are seeing on your TV screen. You will be massively disappointed. People like super saturated colours and high contrast images and manufacturers give it to them. But if it is for home consumption and you like it that way, you are on winner.
06-22-2016, 11:03 AM - 1 Like   #11

If you are a home theater person, then you may have a display that is capable of being calibrated to a neutral image. Many of the cheaper sets don't have the settings available at all. AVS forum is a good place to start if you want to go down that particular rabbit hole. ;-)
06-22-2016, 11:30 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
When I get my main computer back this weekend I intend to continue to use it and my 27-inch NEC monitor to edit my K1's images.

However, my newly discovered capability to easily display JPGs on 4K TVs will be useful when traveling. For example, I can show the relatives on their home TVs the images that I take while in their area. Also, might be able to view images on hotel TVs (haven't tried this yet so I don't know for sure if hotel TVs have the proper port and capability to show photos, time will tell as I plan to try this out in a few weeks next time I stay at a hotel).
06-22-2016, 12:55 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If one were to export JPEGs for viewing on a 4k HDTV, that presumably had been set for cinema viewing (that normally includes some stuff about motion, and probably punchier everything), what would one do? Most HDTVs will downsize to fit the screen; if you have the ability with the HDTV to zoom to 1:1 I'd imagine you wouldn't wanna resample the JPEGs to the 4k aspect. But any other tips? I know my samsung occasionally has rotten dark area artifacts from heavily compressed video; not sure if that would apply to JPEGs. Any ideas?
06-22-2016, 07:02 PM - 1 Like   #14

I have used a 4K TV as my desktop monitor for 2yrs & recommend it highly. Great for photoshop, etc. mine is 50".
06-25-2016, 07:25 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
When I get my main computer back this weekend I intend to continue to use it and my 27-inch NEC monitor to edit my K1's images.

However, my newly discovered capability to easily display JPGs on 4K TVs will be useful when traveling. For example, I can show the relatives on their home TVs the images that I take while in their area. Also, might be able to view images on hotel TVs (haven't tried this yet so I don't know for sure if hotel TVs have the proper port and capability to show photos, time will tell as I plan to try this out in a few weeks next time I stay at a hotel).
You should be able to plug your NEC monitor in that old laptop. I have used an old Acer Netbook for streaming video with a 1920 x 1080 monitor plugged in.