Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2016, 12:22 PM   #1

Lightroom 4 K-50 not supported

Hey

I have LR v.4.4. However I found information that this version does not support K-50 camera (LR from version 5.2 is needed).
However I am able to open RAW files from K-50 in LR v. 4.4.

So what does it mean, in practice that my version of LR does not support Pentax K-50 camera?

Greets

06-29-2016, 12:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you shooting .DNG or .PEF? I would imagine that Lightroom would support .DNG but possibly not the .PEF (That's just a quick guess)
06-29-2016, 12:38 PM   #3

Original Poster
I am shooting DNG's.
06-29-2016, 12:39 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I guess that depends on your definition of "support". Since the K-50 only shoots in JPG or DNG (not PEF), even dated Adobe software will be able to process its files.

That said, you might not get access to the latest profiles, presets, and tools without upgrading. This might not be a bad idea given that LR4 is a bit dated at this point.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-29-2016, 12:49 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ps1984 Quote
So what does it mean, in practice that my version of LR does not support Pentax K-50 camera?
When you filter your Library by Metadata, all your K-50 pictures will be lumped into "Unknown camera." Under camera calibration, I don't think you will have the option of using the embedded profile and the version of Adobe Camera Raw embedded in your version of Lightroom won't make any adjustments based on a stored profile for the K-50. Your K-50 doesn't give you the option of saving images as PEF, so that won't present any problems. There shouldn't be any other differences directly because your version of Lightroom doesn't support the K-50.
06-29-2016, 12:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Here's a link straight to Adobe's official ACR/Lightroom compatibility list: https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

As you can see there, the K-50 is "officially" supported by Lightroom 5.2 and up.
06-29-2016, 01:20 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
When you filter your Library by Metadata, all your K-50 pictures will be lumped into "Unknown camera." Under camera calibration, I don't think you will have the option of using the embedded profile and the version of Adobe Camera Raw embedded in your version of Lightroom won't make any adjustments based on a stored profile for the K-50. Your K-50 doesn't give you the option of saving images as PEF, so that won't present any problems. There shouldn't be any other differences directly because your version of Lightroom doesn't support the K-50.
Regarding that above issues with metadata; are these serious obstacle in photo editing?

QuoteOriginally posted by 12345 Quote
Here's a link straight to Adobe's official ACR/Lightroom compatibility list: https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

As you can see there, the K-50 is "officially" supported by Lightroom 5.2 and up.
Yes I know - I written it in my thread post.

I am using old version of LR because of my current PC machine which is bit outdated too. Cannot run the newest version - LR 6, because my videocard is 512 mb only.

06-29-2016, 01:30 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

are these serious obstacle in photo editing?
It doesn't change the metadata stored in the image file, it only changes how you can use Lightroom to select pictures taken with your K-50. If the K-50 is the only camera you have that your version of Lightroom treats as an unknown camera when searching its catalogue, even this isn't an issue. Other than some preset colour calibration adjustments, this lack of support won't affect any editing you do.

On the other hand, if you are looking for an excuse to upgrade your post processing software, then yeah, LR 4.4 is useless. Sorry, just read the last sentence in your post. I went and took what it would cost to upgrade Lightroom and upgraded my video card. That's something I can recommend.
06-29-2016, 01:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I am using old version of LR because of my current PC machine which is bit outdated too. Cannot run the newest version - LR 6, because my videocard is 512 mb only.
Wow, I didn't realize that a 1GB videocard was a requirement for Lightroom 6! I wouldn't be able to run it either then!
06-29-2016, 01:52 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote

On the other hand, if you are looking for an excuse to upgrade your post processing software, then yeah, LR 4.4 is useless. Sorry, just read the last sentence in your post. I went and took what it would cost to upgrade Lightroom and upgraded my video card. That's something I can recommend.

Yes, you re right, I plan to upgrade my PC but it means that I have to buy new PC . My current hardware is 2009 year dated but still performs well.
However now I still have to use my current PC (newer one is planned but not now yet), so LR 4.4 is temporary bridging solution
06-29-2016, 02:03 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 12345 Quote
Wow, I didn't realize that a 1GB videocard was a requirement for Lightroom 6! I wouldn't be able to run it either then!
1 GB is suggested, it's not a requirement
06-29-2016, 02:19 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
1 GB is suggested, it's not a requirement
I was just researching that, and I believe you're right. However, if you look at Adobe's literature, you'd certainly get the idea that it's required!

(Screenshot from here: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/system-requirements.html )

screenshot-helpx adobe com on Flickr

However, if you go here: (https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/lightroom-gpu-faq.html) then you see this:

Minimum system requirements
  • 64-bit OS versions only
  • OpenGL 3.3 and later
And that's all!
06-29-2016, 02:22 PM   #13

Original Poster
I havent installed LR 6. Just only read the official spec:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/system-requirements.html

It's written there that 2GB VRAM is recommended for high res, and 1GB VRAM seemed to be minimum.

But if some of you are able to run it smoothly on 512 GB VRAM thats good then
06-29-2016, 02:25 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
it will just be slower , also depends on the size of your image files I would guess.
06-29-2016, 02:25 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I'm guessing that if you don't have any VRAM, then Lightroom 6 will behave basically the same as Lightroom 5.

Seems like the only place that having VRAM will likely help is if you enable graphics acceleration for the Develop Module.