Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2016, 12:47 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
On1 Photo Freezing, Hanging, Not Responding

I bought the On1 Photo 10 suite at a discount a few months before it came out last year. It's a really usable program, and it makes using layered effects and masking (gradients/vignettes/brushes) really easy, not to mention it has some smart portrait features.

It worked great on my 3 year old HP laptop, but last month I upgraded to a desktop machine (Lenovo M800, with all the bells and whistles) and a big mama display. It's great, and everything is better... except On1 Photo. Generally, it's slow. Specifically, menus overlap, and the glorious masking that was so easy now causes almost unmanageable hanging and freezing, culminating in the classic "Not Responding" and my Ctrl+Alt+Del to get out of it. It doesn't always "Not Respond", and I don't always have to Ctrl+Alt+Del, but it is always lagging and slow. Menus and windows flash blank white while the program tries to catch up with the moving masks/layers.

I've emailed back and forth with On1 tech support. Of course first they recommended that I update my graphics card driver, which I did. Then they had me delete my .lic file, which I did (and then it came right back when I reactivated the software, naturally). Then they asked for details from the "Event Viewer", and basically they've written it off as a loss.

The Event Viewer showed the "faulting application path" as DWM.exe, and the faulting module as KERNELBASE.dll, which they claim is beyond their troubleshooting capabilities. They recommended I repair Windows (whatever that means).

From what I have learned, basically DWM.exe renders the user interface, animations and transparencies, minimizing and other things of that nature... and yet I have no hangups with Lightroom, Photoshop, NIK, Microsoft ICE, or the Windows Desktop Theta app...

The On1 rep offered to refund my money, but I'd rather fix the problem and keep using the program, 'cause I like it.

Any ideas?

07-12-2016, 01:14 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which OS are you running?

One thing you could try:
Uninstall your program, reboot the computer and reinstall On1 again.

Since the other programs are fine I assume you have enough memory installed, which if there wasn't could cause hangups and slowness.
07-12-2016, 01:56 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You could also try to run it in Compatibility mode. Right click the executable and wade through the menus to find it. Worked for a still current DBMS that I use.
07-12-2016, 01:58 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Sorry, should have included that. :-) I've bounced back and forth with tech support so much I can't remember who knows what.

It's a brand new Windows 10 machine.

Other info:
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3408 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 31.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 27.9 GB
Total Virtual Memory 36.7 GB
Available Virtual Memory 32.4 GB
NVIDIA GeForce GT 720

Also, I have uninstalled and reinstalled On1 (as instructed by On1 tech support).

---------- Post added 07-12-16 at 04:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
You could also try to run it in Compatibility mode. Right click the executable and wade through the menus to find it. Worked for a still current DBMS that I use.
I'm really not all that tech savvy - by "executable", do you mean the DWM.exe, or the On1 application? I appreciate your advice. (At work now, will check it out when I get home tonight.)

07-12-2016, 02:18 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
Sorry, should have included that. :-) I've bounced back and forth with tech support so much I can't remember who knows what.

It's a brand new Windows 10 machine.

Other info:
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3408 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 31.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 27.9 GB
Total Virtual Memory 36.7 GB
Available Virtual Memory 32.4 GB
NVIDIA GeForce GT 720

Also, I have uninstalled and reinstalled On1 (as instructed by On1 tech support).

---------- Post added 07-12-16 at 04:03 PM ----------

I'm really not all that tech savvy - by "executable", do you mean the DWM.exe, or the On1 application? I appreciate your advice. (At work now, will check it out when I get home tonight.)
Right click the shortcut, click Properties.
Click the Compatibility tab top right
Run the Troubleshooter

07-12-2016, 02:22 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Did you restart the computer after you uninstalled the program and before reinstalling it?
07-12-2016, 02:35 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Did you restart the computer after you uninstalled the program and before reinstalling it?
Nope, I didn't. I will try that (I'll try anything!), but I'll admit I'm skeptical that will make a difference since the problem seems to be with the DWM.exe/KERNELBASE.dll and not actually On1... but then again, all the other programs editing work fine, right? Anyway, there's nothing to lose. I will try it when I get home! Thanks!

(Worst case scenario, I keep using the program on my laptop, right?)
07-12-2016, 03:06 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You'd be surprised what restarting after removing a program can do for reinstalling it.

In the tech world, where I work, that's one of the first things we tell people when they are uninstalling a program to reinstalling it.

07-12-2016, 05:19 PM   #9
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

and the glorious masking that was so easy now causes almost unmanageable hanging and freezing, culminating in the classic "Not Responding" and my Ctrl+Alt+Del to get out of it. It doesn't always "Not Respond", and I don't always have to Ctrl+Alt+Del, but it is always lagging and slow.
Hi,

I've had some issues in the last month or so with Photo 10 that sounds a bit like this quote. Not all of it, just some of it. I've had the program crash sometimes though not often. Most recently I've found the masking hanging a lot which is very frustrating. I've gotten into the habit of slowing down so I avoid the point of 'not responding'. I've wondered whether it coincided with the larger files I get from the K-1 over the K5 so I might check that the next time I experience issues.

And this is the odd bit for me; it only does it on occassion not all the time. I thought it might be linked to some background programs running but the only other thing running normally is LR6 so who knows.

Anyhoo, apart from swearing at it, I've tried a few different things to improve the programs functioning when it does occur. Some things I've found that help improve functionality is to use the show mask button when using the masking brush and pause for a minute or two if masking is so erratic from the hanging. I've also found that zooming into 50% has helped.

Some FYI: I'm running a 2 year old Win 7 desktop using an SSD drive for OS and programs, 2 x 27" screens with images stored on an internal hard drive and a Synology NAS. My normal workflow starts in LR6 going to Photo 10 via 'Edit in' in the right click menu. I mostly use Effects and Enhance and Layers occassionally.

Like you I want to keep using this program so I'll persist with it, and hopefully there is a solution for your problems around the corner.

Tas
07-12-2016, 05:56 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
Like you I want to keep using this program so I'll persist with it, and hopefully there is a solution for your problems around the corner.
Yep. Since I've already spent the money on it, I feel like I should just keep it and maybe wait for bug fixes or something to come out to resolve the issues. I'm fuming and optimistic at the same time. lol

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
restarting after removing a program
Well, I've gone through the extensive process (and even deactivated and uninstalled the program from my laptop, just to be certain), and there is no improvement whatsoever.

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Right click the shortcut, click Properties.
Click the Compatibility tab top right
Run the Troubleshooter
I've run the Troubleshooter twice without success. In fact, it tells me On1 Photo 10 is an "incompatible program" and offers no solutions. *sigh*

---------- Post added 07-12-16 at 08:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
I've also found that zooming into 50% has helped.
Wow! Actually I just tried this and it helped a lot? ... I don't know whether I'm encouraged or enraged.
07-12-2016, 06:13 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Perhaps running the program in compatibility mode would work.

Compatibility Mode | Windows 10 Forums
09-04-2016, 11:53 AM   #12

Did you ever get the issues resolved with on1, I just purchased it this week, runs so slow and hangs, have tied all the suggestions...
thanks
09-06-2016, 07:45 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the pgm verifies that your machine can run it before it allows installation.

the uninstall route is a place to start but instead of RESTART try SHUT DOWN.

after you power up again reinstall ON1 using admin permissions and with your antivirus app shut off.

if the installation is successful turn av back on, then go to the compatibility settings and tick the box RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR.

it seems like a lot of work but these steps allowed ON1 to run error-free on my machine.

good luck.
09-06-2016, 10:45 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I did see in their installation information a recommendation to disable the anti-virus. I wonder if it wouldn't be worth a try to exclude On1's folders from AV scanning and see if that helps? I've had to do that with a few data-base software as the relatively frequent reading and writing makes the AV work overtime, thus slowing things down at times. I'm not sure why On1 would do that, but since the software suggests it on install, it might be worth a try or testing out.
09-06-2016, 02:31 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
I did see in their installation information a recommendation to disable the anti-virus. I wonder if it wouldn't be worth a try to exclude On1's folders from AV scanning and see if that helps? I've had to do that with a few data-base software as the relatively frequent reading and writing makes the AV work overtime, thus slowing things down at times. I'm not sure why On1 would do that, but since the software suggests it on install, it might be worth a try or testing out.
I personally don't exclude the ON1 folders (they reside in a couple locations)

the only performance issues I've had is while processing several images consecutively and whatever it uses for caching fills and bogs the app down a bit

I suspect that happens because the .PSDs that it constructs are quite large