Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2016, 05:17 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Banding in the blue sky in PDCU4 but not in CS5 - why?

Here is a picture (not for critique per se as it was to "re-test" my K5 and DA*16-50 -- not used for quite some time)) showing heavy banding in the blue sky when viewed in PDCU4.
This banding does NOT show in CS5 and does not show once the RAW file has been processed either..
Shot taken RAW (DNG) with a K5.

Any idea what this could be?

Thanks!

Attached Images

07-13-2016, 05:27 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Probably just a low-quality preview. Have you tried it in DCU5?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-13-2016, 05:32 PM   #3

Banding is caused by Jpeg compression artifacts. The difference between programs is due to different compression engines. The default compression algorithms i.e. Lanzocs3 vs bicubic vs bilinear can make a difference to. I don't know if PDCU 4 has options for selecting the algorithm.

This thread may help:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/32-digital-processing-software-printing/2...mpression.html

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Good point. Are you viewing the preview or the RAW? As I recall there is an option PDCU or it asks when you switch to the laboratory.

Last edited by Not a Number; 07-13-2016 at 05:47 PM.
07-13-2016, 05:46 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Banding is caused by Jpeg compression artifacts. The difference between programs is due to different compression engines. The default compression algorithms i.e. Lanzocs3 vs bicubic vs bilinear can make a difference to. I don't know if PDCU 4 has options for selecting the algorithm.

This thread may help:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/32-digital-processing-software-printing/2...mpression.html
Alright, I'll give it a go in PDCU5 (which I use for the K3) although I might have encountered something similar in the past (and just I remember) with just the K5+DA*16-50 RAW files "viewed" in DCU4.
On the other hand, once the files are processed, the banding is gone in the final TIFF/JPEG image.
I'll also check for this bicubic/bilinear compression.

Thanks !

Edit: I checked the forum thread and read: "The banding has little to do with JPEG compression and a lot to do with the 8-bit/channel color limitations of the JPEG format. Normally it is not much of a problem, but with large regions of primary color and a shallow gradient (such as the sky), 256 shades just ain't enough. Gradients appear as discontinuities.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/32-digital-processing-software-printing/2...#ixzz4ELNFg1S0
Now, how do I know whether there has been "downsampling" or is it even important to know that.
All I know is that once the files are opened/processed via CS5, no banding shows.
Only in both PDCU 4 and 5.

Last edited by jpzk; 07-13-2016 at 07:00 PM.