Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2016, 07:27 PM   #1

Phillips Adobe RGB monitor- cheap

Does anyone have an opinion on this? Seems a little too good to be true, and you know what they say about that-
https://smile.amazon.com/Philips-276E6ADSS-27-Inch-Technology-1080Resolution...be+rgb+monitor

07-17-2016, 07:41 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks good to me. The price is fair too, given how much other monitors and even large TVs cost these days.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-17-2016, 08:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My only suggestion would be to check the specs of the monitor elsewhere and some reviews. Check that it is really Adobe-RGB. The 16.7 million colors sounds rather standard when I think back to the last time I looked at a monitor (albeit it has been many years now, so it could be right).

Most of these monitors give more information about the color gamut in their specifications, so you might check just to be certain.
07-17-2016, 10:31 PM   #4

I did a quick google search:
Philips 276E6 Color Gamut And Performance

Seems like blue colors are under- and red colors are significantly over-saturated.
They say it is not so good for color-critical work, otherwise seems pretty good.

07-18-2016, 05:00 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Doesn't have VESA mounts on the back.
07-18-2016, 07:51 AM   #6

Original Poster
I was wondering about over saturation issues after reading the description again. I'll probably save my pennies for for a Dell ultrasharp or BenQ...

Last edited by AutumnRowan; 07-18-2016 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Spelling
07-18-2016, 08:00 AM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AutumnRowan Quote
I was wondering about over saturation issues after reading the description again. I'll probably save my pennies for for a Dell ultrasharp or BenQ...
All wIde gamut monitors appear oversaturated with non-color managed software. You need a correct color profile and managed software with Dell and BenQ wide gamut monitors just as well as with the Philips.

07-18-2016, 08:27 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Do you want the monitor primarily for photo editing, for photo viewing, or something else?

It's only 1080p resolution and 16:9 aspect ratio. IMO that's okay for photo viewing, movies, and games. It's not enough vertical resolution for photo editing (regardless of color gamut issues).

I prefer a minimum of 1200 vertical pixels and a 16:10 aspect ratio for overall productivity.
07-18-2016, 01:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

This is probably one of the first quantum dot technology screens. Potentially quantum dots can deliver great gamut at lower prices, technically it is not yet mature technology and the color fidelity is not yet there.
If you can access some colorimeter, and calibrate the screen at home it could be a good deal. Otherwise probably not so much.
07-19-2016, 01:48 AM   #10

Don't buy any monitor short of 4K at this time. I want OLED now also.
07-19-2016, 07:44 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
This is probably one of the first quantum dot technology screens. Potentially quantum dots can deliver great gamut at lower prices, technically it is not yet mature technology and the color fidelity is not yet there.
If you can access some colorimeter, and calibrate the screen at home it could be a good deal. Otherwise probably not so much.

I acquired an Xrite i1 Display Pro during Amazon Prime days which is what led me to discover that my current monitor leaves a lot to be desired. I'm trying to decide between buying a lower price medium step up (like the Phillips) now or waiting several months to buy a really good monitor-
07-27-2016, 02:48 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Its all very well getting a wide gamut monitor but have you budgeted for a wide gamut gpu? Your standard Intel, Nvidia or AMD consumer graphics will not support 10-Bit colour space, you need a card from AMD's Firepro range or from Nvidia's equivalent Quadro range. Be prepared to be surprised at the enterprise level pricing if matched against the consumer offering
07-28-2016, 03:27 AM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Its all very well getting a wide gamut monitor but have you budgeted for a wide gamut gpu?
There's no such thing as a "wide gamut gpu", so budgeting for one is impossible.

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Your standard Intel, Nvidia or AMD consumer graphics will not support 10-Bit colour space,
The amount of bits/component has nothing to do with gamut size, it just tells how finely the gamut is divided into parts.
07-28-2016, 07:31 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by markkuk Quote
There's no such thing as a "wide gamut gpu", so budgeting for one is impossible.

The amount of bits/component has nothing to do with gamut size, it just tells how finely the gamut is divided into parts.
You are correct, and I did not explain correctly. Main point - if you buy a Adobe-RGB (typically called a wide-gamut screen) monitor, you will also need a GPU with driver support for Adobe-RGB (i.e. NVidia Quadro or AMD FirePro) and editing software that is able to display in Adobe-RGB to make full use of your Adobe-RGB monitor and it all adds up to extra expense.
07-28-2016, 06:10 PM   #15

Original Poster
Software wise I'm using Lightroom/Photoshop CC for post, so no troubles there. My GPU will be the next upgrade as I'm running off an inexpensive laptop at home, but one step at a time. I have a Dell at work with a Nvidia Quadro K1100M w/2GB GDDR5 in it. Can't remember what's in my work tower other than it's a quite a bit better. I can double check color critical stuff at work but need to have a functional system at home. I do need to be somewhat portable at times so it's all a balancing act (just like my budget).

Last edited by AutumnRowan; 07-28-2016 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Typing while drinking