Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
07-20-2016, 11:24 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Nope, it's $799 there compare to $669 at BH. No perks today.

07-20-2016, 11:38 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
I don't shot in jpg, therefore I would like to have the possibility to review raw files on the bigger screen while I'm away from my home computer on trips. Now I use the magnifier for it to check out of focus pictures from the camera screen. It's too small and uncomfortable. Also, bigger screen would be useful to show pictures to someone.
Light editing would be also a plus since I need to kill time while relaxing and staying away from TV and internet.

---------- Post added 07-19-16 at 08:50 PM ----------

Thanks! Seems like that's exactly I'm looking for. So, 2GB will be ok for a basics. I also can get 4GB, depends on price, of course.
Second the suggestion of a Chromebook whole-heartedly. They're inexpensive, light, fast to boot, in general malware-proof and secure (even more so than a Mac) and YES can be used for viewing RAW images. Out-of-pocket $400 or so and you've got a nice system.

For myself I went with a Dell Inspiron 7559 with a 256GB SSD, an additional 1TB hybrid drive, Nvidia GeForce GTX 960M,and 16GB memory and got out spending less than $710 including shipping.
With a 6th-gen i5 and plenty of overhead I can run just about any editing software I would want to. That was a stellar deal tho, one I was fortunate to have seen, but it certainly is not light or what I'd call exceptionally travel-friendly. Sure you can travel with it and it's got great battery life but for simple viewing and portability a Chromebook is what I'd opt for.

Last edited by gatorguy; 07-20-2016 at 11:56 AM.
07-20-2016, 11:56 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Second the suggestion of a Chromebook whole-heartedly. They're inexpensive, light, fast to boot, in general malware-proof and secure (even more so than a Mac) and YES can be used for viewing RAW images.
Did I understand correctly that it will be limitation in software because many of programs can be run only when chromebook is connected to the internet?
What happens if connection is not available?
07-20-2016, 12:10 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Did I understand correctly that it will be limitation in software because many of programs can be run only when chromebook is connected to the internet?
What happens if connection is not available?
Some programs will only run with a web connection while others are good to go off-line. Photoshop for instance (yes a Chromebook can run PS) requires a connection AFAIK. On the other hand Polarr Photo Editor 3 or Google's own built-in photo editor will work off-line. So it varies.

Here's a good summation of off-line capabilities:
https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/3214688?hl=en

Last edited by gatorguy; 07-20-2016 at 12:42 PM.
07-20-2016, 12:11 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Personally I will go for something like this (link bellow) as RAM can be upgraded to 16GB (later on if needed) and has SSD already (you have anyway the external drive for storage therefore small size 128GB SSD is fine) with nice 13'' IPS display (1920x1080) as well as card reader.
It ticks all boxes you asked.
The price is in Canadian $$ and should be less than this in US unless we have some special price here...

Ideapad 710S | Cutting-Edge Stylish Laptop| Lenovo CA

BTW I will go also for CC subscription where you will have free install for 2 PC's and Adobe Bridge is included as well and it is very fast RAW viewer.

This is excellent deal (awesome + adobe): https://500px.com/upgrade

Last edited by RAART; 07-20-2016 at 02:13 PM. Reason: added link
07-20-2016, 12:12 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
If you are using Windows, you will need to down load a plug-in to view DNG files in Windows Explorer. Don't ask me why Windows doesn't natively support DNG.
The plug in is called a CODEC and can be downloaded from Adobe's support site.

One additional suggestion to the OP - in addition to viewing what's on the SD card with the laptop, I recommend copying the original DNG or PEF files to the laptop while traveling so that you have two copies ... just in case.
07-20-2016, 01:20 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lsimpkins Quote
The plug in is called a CODEC and can be downloaded from Adobe's support site.
There is no K-1 in Codec list.

07-20-2016, 01:39 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nope, it's $799 there compare to $669 at BH. No perks today.
The specific configuration you're looking at right now seems cheaper at B&H, but if you want to get a machine with a faster processor, more RAM and/or a larger solid state drive, it's worth shopping around (including on the Dell site).

If you are just going to use it as your travel laptop (uploading and checking photos, doing some light editing in Lightroom etc), then the less expensive B&H version is probably fine for your needs. When I bought my XPS 13, I wanted to use it as my main home and travel computer, so I wanted a better-equipped machine.

I now have another Dell laptop (bigger, more powerful etc - and a lot heavier) that is serving as a desktop replacement - and I travel with the XPS 13.
07-20-2016, 01:57 PM   #24
CDW
Site Supporter

It's not 4 figures for the models I compare. They both look pretty good for someone like me. I feel like I'm shopping for the first ever DSLR, again.
MacAir is $799 at BH
Dell is $669 there
Apple 13.3" ; MacBook Air Laptop Computer (Early 2015) | B&H
Dell 13.3" XPS 13 9343 Notebook XPS9343-1818SLV B&H Photo
Having owned Dell over the years (still use their monitors) and Macs, I'd go with a Mac any time the prices for comparable hardware is within a hundred or so bucks. Apple customer support is light years beyond anything being offered in the PC world and you can load Windows on a Mac. MacMall frequently beats everyone else on prices for both PCs and Apple products.
07-20-2016, 02:06 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frogoutofwater Quote
If you are just going to use it as your travel laptop (uploading and checking photos, doing some light editing in Lightroom etc), then the less expensive B&H version is probably fine for your needs.
BH is not cheapest either while I'm searching around. Macbook Air 13" 8GB is just $100 more at BestBuy than the same laptop 4GB at BH.
Well, need to go to see laptops there tonight, to learn and think more about all of it.
07-20-2016, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Some programs will only run with a web connection while others are good to go off-line. Photoshop for instance (yes a Chromebook can run PS) requires a connection AFAIK. On the other hand Polarr Photo Editor 3 or Google's own built-in photo editor will work off-line. So it varies.

Here's a good summation of off-line capabilities:
https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/3214688?hl=en
Really? I have never been able to find a way - I use Pixlr and I used to use Polarr but for reasons I can't recall it quit being a rational option.

I do agree that online is only required for some things. Happy to discuss the options if needed.

Personally I think RAW is highly overkill for travel sorting and viewing - I would shoot RAW+ and make a note of the items I wanted to explore in RAW later - the JPG's are good for immediate sharing and viewing and less fuss for that type of time boxed environment.

I own an older Chromebook with only 2gb of RAM (that may be the issues with Polarr - the newer version I think crashes with RAW which is the only reason I was using it on the Chromebook) and an older processor. On JPGs I was able to do everything I wanted with Pixlr and similar tools. When I got my L450 Lenovo (8gb, 170GB SSD, IPS 15.6" screen) I stopped using the chromebook for that except when travelling.
07-20-2016, 02:10 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Those laptops at BH are the older ones. That Dell BH is selling is not anymore sold at Dell (old model).
07-20-2016, 02:30 PM   #28

According to specs, Dell seems to be a slightly better choice, plus the lower price and lower weight. Even the 15hrs of power autonomy beats the 12hrs on Mac. It already comes with an SSD so no need to spend more money on upgrade... Pretty much a no brainer...
07-20-2016, 02:31 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I do not think that either Dell XPS or Macbook Air are better than Lenovo Ideapad 710S as they cannot be upgraded. The display at macbook is mediocre.

Dell XPS is better than Macbook Air but more expensive than Lenovo. All those models are made of aluminium or magnesium aluminium (Lenovo).

YMMW
07-20-2016, 03:18 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RAART Quote
Those laptops at BH are the older ones. That Dell BH is selling is not anymore sold at Dell (old model).
Intel Core i3 at Dell - $799
Intel Core i5 at BH- $669

can this indicate which model is older if other specs are pretty much the same?