Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2016, 04:01 PM   #1
Forum Member

Problems printing 8x12 photos

I'm frustrated while trying to print some of my new wildlife safari photos on 8x12 paper (which I just purchased from B&H). My Canon Pixma Pro-100 supposedly has the specs for this paper loaded, but I can't seem to get my photos printed without a 1/4" white border at one end. I don't know if it's a print driver issue or something else. I think the paper size selection in the print options is the problem. 8x12 is not a size of paper offered when selecting paper size. The print size is easy. I used Photoshop Elements 14 to change the image size to 8x12. Then in the print size selections, I selected actual size and then moved the slider just a bit to fill the preview image with the entire photo. That part worked just fine. But when selecting the PAPER size, there is nowhere I can select 8x12 paper. The closest I can get with their selections is A4, which I understand is 8.3 x 11.7 inches. So I'm guessing that explains why I get an approximate 1/4" margin at one end of my 8x12 paper even when I select borderless, while the rest of the photo prints right to the edges. And of course, that white edge makes the photo not fit into an 8x12 frame without the border showing, because the image is actually 11.7 instead of 12.0. I've tried borders and borderless, with the same issue. It's the paper size which seems to be the issue, unless I'm really missing something. Does anyone know how I can print on this nice 8x12 photo paper without getting a very unattractive white edge on just one end of the photo? Do I have to send them out to someone to professionally print my 8x12s or should I just ignore my 8x12 paper and print 8.5 x 11 photos instead? The 8x12 is such a nice look, especially for a giraffe or tall elephant. I hate to just give up, but....
(Results the same on my Epson Stylus Pro 3880 printer.) I would appreciate any help.
Thanks,
Mary
Los Angeles

07-30-2016, 04:30 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since the printer prints up to 13x19, my recommendation would be to use 13x19 paper and print two 8x12 photos per sheet. If 8x12 isn't selectable in the paper size menu, the printer won't be able to properly print on the paper you're trying to use.

One "hack" would be to tell the printer it's got 13x19 paper (or anything larger than 8x12 for that matter), load the 8x12 paper, create a blank 13x19 inch canvas at your desired resolution, paste your photo, and center it horizontally on the page while aligning the top edge of the photo with the top edge of the canvas. If done incorrectly, however, this could potentially damage your printer, or cause it to mess up the print. Not something I'd recommend trying unless you're desperate.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-30-2016, 05:04 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I used to print photos on my printer, but the ink had a drying tendency, so I did not continue. I seemed to do something like selecting Legal size and not filling the frame option prior to printing. I am not sure if that will help, but that was part if the notes I had taken about it.

I now just have my prints done at Wal-Mart, which has done really nice 8x12 prints for me for about five dollars or under. What I do is select the image I want on one of their "1 hour photo" kiosks at the photo processing area in the store as a 4x6 that I want printed. I then submit the order as 4x6 to the lab computer. The photo lab associate then opens the order on the photo lab computer and selects the 8x12 option on that computer for the order. It then prints out on their lab printer, the lab associate gives it to me, I check it out, and if it is alright I go ahead and buy it. Something to note, I submit the order as a 4x6 because it will retain its 4x6 dimension, and I also undo the "auto enhancement" feature associated with the image I select when using the photo kiosk.

As I said, I did try my own printers (HP), and I did get some nice images, but the ink was drying and it became unreliable as a source so I discontinued.

So, I hope you are able to get what you need done without a problem. Good luck.

Last edited by C_Jones; 07-30-2016 at 05:10 PM.
07-30-2016, 05:28 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I'm with Adam on this one. I gave up trying to understand the logic employed by Canon's printing division long ago. I once made the mistake of buying their art paper, which meant I had to have a 1.5 inch border on all four sides of the image turning a 19-x13 printer into one that print 16x10. There are so many uses all of which add up to, "you have to waste paper" I just took my Pixma Pro to the dump. I could have saved about $600 by doing that a year earlier.

Just simple things, like what you have to do to get maximum print quality on a given image is never clearly explained. Standard paper sizes are not available. They wore me down, and I'll never give them another cent. I'm a happier person for it.

07-30-2016, 05:29 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I recall now that I last used a roll of 8 inch paper and cut it to the length I needed. I then selected my image which had its original 2:3 ratio to accomodate the 8x12 dimension. When I printed, I would select Legal paper size and would not select the "fill the frame" option, I would just leave it alone so the image would retain its original ratio/dimension. It would then print out, filling the paper with an 8x12. I doubt if it would stray from the paper you are using, due to the printer automatically selecting the area that will minimally accomodate it, but if that did happen, you could look at "Print Preview" prior to printing and select a side or the middle position to place it where your paper is positioned. I sort of doubt you would have to do that, but the option is there if needed. Good luck.

Note: Since the Legal specification is 8.5 x14 most likely you will see easily in Print Preview if your 8x12 is fitting into the area proportionately.

Last edited by C_Jones; 07-30-2016 at 05:40 PM.
07-30-2016, 05:32 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mary Lippold Quote
I'm frustrated while trying to print some of my new wildlife safari photos on 8x12 paper (which I just purchased from B&H). My Canon Pixma Pro-100 supposedly has the specs for this paper loaded, but I can't seem to get my photos printed without a 1/4" white border at one end. I don't know if it's a print driver issue or something else. I think the paper size selection in the print options is the problem. 8x12 is not a size of paper offered when selecting paper size. The print size is easy. I used Photoshop Elements 14 to change the image size to 8x12. Then in the print size selections, I selected actual size and then moved the slider just a bit to fill the preview image with the entire photo. That part worked just fine. But when selecting the PAPER size, there is nowhere I can select 8x12 paper. The closest I can get with their selections is A4, which I understand is 8.3 x 11.7 inches. So I'm guessing that explains why I get an approximate 1/4" margin at one end of my 8x12 paper even when I select borderless, while the rest of the photo prints right to the edges. And of course, that white edge makes the photo not fit into an 8x12 frame without the border showing, because the image is actually 11.7 instead of 12.0. I've tried borders and borderless, with the same issue. It's the paper size which seems to be the issue, unless I'm really missing something. Does anyone know how I can print on this nice 8x12 photo paper without getting a very unattractive white edge on just one end of the photo? Do I have to send them out to someone to professionally print my 8x12s or should I just ignore my 8x12 paper and print 8.5 x 11 photos instead? The 8x12 is such a nice look, especially for a giraffe or tall elephant. I hate to just give up, but....
(Results the same on my Epson Stylus Pro 3880 printer.) I would appreciate any help.
Thanks,
Mary
Los Angeles
Go to Printing Preferences, Page Setup tab. Click on page size dropdown list abd scrool to bottom and choose 'custom'. A popup box will appear where you can enter in the page size you want. In printer application, choose 'custom' as the paper size.
Attached Images

Last edited by davidreilly3207; 07-30-2016 at 05:39 PM.
07-30-2016, 07:49 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

8x12???

That is a strange paper size (only one item at B&H) and not one that I would expect to be supported natively by your printer. That being said, fit and margin depend heavily on the image crop, the software used for printing, and the printer itself. I own the Pixma Pro-100 and it is very flexible and capable of delivering stunning prints. Here are a few notes of advice:
  • Crop to enhance composition, ignoring the final paper/mat/frame constraints
  • Regardless of crop, print with a minimum of 1/2" margin. Doing so will make life easier when mounting/framing
  • Aside from the above, don't sweat the margins; they can be trimmed as part of mounting/framing
  • Your prints will be no better than your paper. Yes, you have an amazing printer, but I repeat, you prints will be no better than your paper. Canon makes very decent papers that mate well with your printer. I suggest one of those as a starting point in either gloss or semi-gloss.
  • The software used for printing makes a difference and figuring out an appropriate mix of tools is not an easy matter; more on this below.
  • Don't overextend your image's resolution. For example, if the long axis of your print is 18 inches and the long axis of your image is greater than 5400 pixels (300 pixels/inch) you are in good shape. At 3600 pixels (200 pixels/inch) you are still in good shape, but some of the printed image will be interpolated data and additional print sharpening may be indicated. Some users on this site routinely print at 100-150 pixels per inch, but with the intent that the print will be viewed at a distance. The key is to be aware of what you are expecting the hardware to deal with.
  • Color balance and print brightness are a pain and require wisdom and tool expertise. The most common complaints are that the print is both darker and has less intense colors than the monitor display image. Without preparation, one can run through a huge amount of paper/ink ($$$) getting an acceptable print and perhaps never get an acceptable image. Here are the bullet points with no additional comment:
    • Your printed image will be no "brighter" than the paper on which it is printed. To level the playing field, decrease your monitor brightness.
    • Paper surface will influence perception of print brightness, saturation, sharpness, and contrast
    • Printer ink will determine the limits to color fidelity. Remember, there is a difference between emitted/additive colors (what you see on the monitor) and absorption/subtractive colors (pigments)
    • Your printer, even with the best inks and brightest paper, is not capable of reproducing the full range of tones on your display monitor
    • Good agreement between the onscreen image and print is much easier with a color-managed work flow. What this means is using at least basic monitor calibration and providing the printer with color profiles for the your paper choices. (Paper makers will often provide ICC color profiles for their papers for specific printers.)
    • As much as is possible, do your computer image processing in full spectrum light. The light in the room influences what you see on the screen.
    • Evaluate your prints in full-spectrum light and/or light similar to where they will be hung. Viewing light can make a huge difference.
  • Your printer came with both Canon software and the Print Studio Pro plug-in. I have used the plug-in and it is worth giving a test drive.
  • I personally use Lightroom's Printing functionality in conjunction with its "soft proof" feature to tailor final processing to both printer/ink and paper. I have used Martin Evening's Lightroom book and found it to be a very useful guide to both features and as a result waste very little paper at present on test prints.
  • I have found the tutorials at the Cambridge In Color Web site to be helpful for general information on color management and printing:
    Cambridge In Color: Tutorials on Color Management & Printing
Again, you have an excellent printer. Enjoy!

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-30-2016 at 08:09 PM.
07-31-2016, 03:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
8x12???

That is a strange paper size (only one item at B&H) and not one that I would expect to be supported natively by your printer.
I've never heard of an 8x12 print either, but given that most cameras, and almost all DSLR's, have a native aspect ratio of 2:3, maybe 8x12 should be much more common than it is?
07-31-2016, 05:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I've never heard of an 8x12 print either, but given that most cameras, and almost all DSLR's, have a native aspect ratio of 2:3, maybe 8x12 should be much more common than it is?
It's a pretty standard size at print labs around here anyway. You just can't seem to buy the paper.
07-31-2016, 05:37 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Well said Steve. I spent a lot of time fussing and worrying about these points, especially the 'brightness' of the printed image on paper until I learned how true that is and finally understood that my monitor is 'backlit' with a large white light and my paper merely 'reflects' available light.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
[*]Color balance and print brightness are a pain and require wisdom and tool expertise. The most common complaints are that the print is both darker and has less intense colors than the monitor display image. Without preparation, one can run through a huge amount of paper/ink ($$$) getting an acceptable print and perhaps never get an acceptable image. Here are the bullet points with no additional comment:
  • Your printed image will be no "brighter" than the paper on which it is printed. To level the playing field, decrease your monitor brightness.
  • Paper surface will influence perception of print brightness, saturation, sharpness, and contrast
  • Printer ink will determine the limits to color fidelity. Remember, there is a difference between emitted/additive colors (what you see on the monitor) and absorption/subtractive colors (pigments)
  • Your printer, even with the best inks and brightest paper, is not capable of reproducing the full range of tones on your display monitor
  • Good agreement between the onscreen image and print is much easier with a color-managed work flow. What this means is using at least basic monitor calibration and providing the printer with color profiles for the your paper choices. (Paper makers will often provide ICC color profiles for their papers for specific printers.)
  • As much as is possible, do your computer image processing in full spectrum light. The light in the room influences what you see on the screen.
  • Evaluate your prints in full-spectrum light and/or light similar to where they will be hung. Viewing light can make a huge difference.

Steve
07-31-2016, 12:00 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hey all of you, thanks so much. Good ideas. I haven't given up on my printer yet, but I do also like my Epson 3880. I think two copies on the 13x19 paper might be my first try, then try the larger canvas, and then I'll go to Costco or Walmart if I can't get it right. I'm still in early days of trying to print my own, and I do like both my printers, so I want to keep trying a bit longer. But I've also heard from many others who have lab prints done instead. It certainly would have saved my two days of raving frustration. THANK YOU!
Mary
07-31-2016, 07:17 PM   #12
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes strange 8"x12" paper is not readily available, as that is the 2x3 ratio of 35mm film and many digital sensors. I always ordered that size when Kodak made (pretty good) prints from slides.
When I started with digital I tried to get Epson 8"x12" paper to no avail, so I cut down larger paper (I buy 13"x19"). My Epson all in one printer allows me to put in any size--up to the maximum width and I believe 12 ft long. That to me is a major selling point of Epson, as it may be (I have heard so) that Cannon printers do not allow you to choose any size. (But I use Photoshop to do the printing and maybe that is a significant difference.)
08-01-2016, 04:49 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
It's a pretty standard size at print labs around here anyway. You just can't seem to buy the paper.
I just checked Walgreens, CVS, Wal-Mart, and Target, and none of them offer 8x12 print sizes. I don't recall seeing 8x12 frames in stores either. But like I said, it's odd since 4x6 is the most common print size.
08-01-2016, 05:26 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I just checked Walgreens, CVS, Wal-Mart, and Target, and none of them offer 8x12 print sizes. I don't recall seeing 8x12 frames in stores either. But like I said, it's odd since 4x6 is the most common print size.
Step 1 if you want to print 8x12's at a lab may be "move to Canada".
08-01-2016, 08:54 PM   #15
Pentaxian

8x12 is the true 2:3 image ratio (full image). It is available in Wal-Mart as a size that can be selected in the photo lab computer, by a photo lab employee, for an image originally ordered as a 4x6 image order.

On the 8x12, the original image capture can be presented in its full form (no crop), or can be cropped in its original 2:3 dimension and used as an 8x12.

The 8 inch rolls of photo paper are available in different lengths, but 8x12 frames are not found as commonly as something like the 8x10, which to me is not useful. That is why I use custom made frames that accomodate 8x12 or 12x18 prints in double mattes, not losing any of the original image if needed.

---------- Post added 08-02-16 at 12:14 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mary Lippold Quote
Hey all of you, thanks so much. Good ideas. I haven't given up on my printer yet, but I do also like my Epson 3880. I think two copies on the 13x19 paper might be my first try, then try the larger canvas, and then I'll go to Costco or Walmart if I can't get it right. I'm still in early days of trying to print my own, and I do like both my printers, so I want to keep trying a bit longer. But I've also heard from many others who have lab prints done instead. It certainly would have saved my two days of raving frustration. THANK YOU!
Mary
You're welcome. Good luck with your situation. I hope everything works out alright.

Last edited by C_Jones; 08-01-2016 at 09:10 PM.