Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2016, 02:23 PM   #1

PDCU5 on Linux?

Anyone using PDCU5 under WINE? On OpenSuSE 42.1 with WINE 1.8.2, it can install but crashes when launched. It runs fine under VirtualBox but I'd prefer using it with WINE.

08-01-2016, 03:29 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have used it via VirtualBox. Not a fan of WINE...well not that sort.

Cheers,
Terry
08-01-2016, 06:52 PM   #3

not every program work properly with wine,maybe because depedency with other copmponent program ..

Last edited by maiden356; 08-06-2016 at 07:16 PM.
08-02-2016, 12:27 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PDCU 5.5.1 runs on wine v1.6.2 on ubuntu 16.10 beta but file selector is useless. I have to move everything I want to process out to the desktop so it can pick it up. Only use it for pixel shift experimenting anyway so not a big problem.

08-02-2016, 04:55 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I've dabbled with WINE on Debian, Ubuntu, & Fedora, but gave up on it after a while. Often times I'd end up with more trouble than what it was worth. Just use Darktable or RawTherapee instead. Native apps are always better. That's why I dual boot Linux & Windows.
08-07-2016, 02:14 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
I've dabbled with WINE on Debian, Ubuntu, & Fedora, but gave up on it after a while. Often times I'd end up with more trouble than what it was worth. Just use Darktable or RawTherapee instead. Native apps are always better. That's why I dual boot Linux & Windows.
I've installed and am trying out Darktable, RawTherapee, LightZone, Photivo, Fotoxx, RawStudio and UFRaw. For Pixel Shift, there's dcrawps, which can export 16-bit TIFFs that can be loaded by all of these apps except UFRaw, which only reads raw. I'm impressed with Darktable, it looks like the most versatile open source raw processor, with selective edits using parametric or drawn masks. RawTherapee is also very powerful and can use the same DCP color and LCP lens-correction profiles that the Adobe apps use. Photivo looks promising. Lightzone also looks pretty good but seems to be missing features such as color management and lens correction. Today I installed Photoflow, which is cross-platform and can run either stand-alone or as a GIMP plug-in. At version 0.2.6, it can be unstable but is worth trying. With quick basic tweaks such as contrast, saturation, color/tone curve and sharpening, I was able to get pleasing results from DT, RT, LZ, Photivo and Photoflow.