Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2016, 09:23 AM   #1

How to create JPEGs to match camera JPEGs?

I have RAW files created by my K-30. I like the pictures displayed on the LCD of the camera. I would like to generate JPEGs that look the same on my PC. How do I do that? I have Lightroom, but I don't like the JPEGs they generate. When I first load the thumbnails in lightroom, they look really good, just like how they are on the LCD of the camera, but when Lightroom is finished loading the pictures, they look terrible.

Thank you.

08-04-2016, 09:30 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are some presets in Lightroom. Some are supposed to mimic the camera output. I don't have a lot of experience with the presets, maybe someone else can help.
Beyond that, I'd bump the contrast, increase your color saturation a little and add the default sharpening on output.

Also, don't crop too much. Don't output 100% image size, but limit your long end to 1920 or even 1080 pixels. That reduction in resolution may give you the images you like. Remember those preview images are small.
Another option is to shoot RAW+ which will save a RAW and a JPG file. You may well like the camera's output.
08-04-2016, 09:31 AM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

In Lightroom, scroll down to the "Camera calibration" section and for the "Profile" setting, select "Embedded" (it will probably have defaulted to "Adobe Standard", which typically looks rather neutral and washed out). This will get you the same colours, or thereabouts, as it uses a colour profile that is embedded into the image file by the camera. From there, it's up to you to adjust sharpening, noise reduction, etc. - which requires a reasonable understanding of how the various Lightroom adjustments work.
08-04-2016, 09:37 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If instead of lightroom you use Ricoh's software, the raw files have whatever jpeg settings were active when you took the photo. Also, in the window for contrast, saturation etc you have two buttons, to use the camera's default (i.e. settings you picked, not actually all default) or the computer software's defaults.

08-04-2016, 10:07 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! Awesome community here at pentaxforums. I will try your suggestions.

I believe the Ricoh software will give me what I need as suggested by aaacb. I've tried selecting "Embedded" in Lightroom, but it still looks weird. I guess it doesn't know the contrast, saturation, etc of the camera. I will shoot JPEG + Raw from now on.
08-04-2016, 11:14 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In Lightroom you need to develop an image to your taste. The camera calibration setting is a start but other settings are needed. Once you have that image as you like it, save those settings as a develop preset. Then under the import page select that preset to be applied to all imported images. Then save that, plus any other settings such as copyright info or file name changes as an import preset. From now on all of your images will be imported with those settings.

The secret to Lightroom is presets!!!
08-04-2016, 11:21 AM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
The secret to Lightroom is presets!!!
Something I really must make more use of... Right now, I'm repeating a lot of manual effort every time I process a shot...

08-04-2016, 11:39 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I had the same problem when I started using lightroom. presets do help a lot, and save a lot of time. The biggest help I have found is from Huelight Camera profiles. Huelight Pentax Camera Profiles Very much worth the 15 bucks! I see they have one for the K1 now.
08-04-2016, 12:03 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Right now, I'm repeating a lot of manual effort every time I process a shot...
I think people who get frustrated with Lightroom are mostly upset about the degree of work required for each image. But they miss out on the best part because they do not dig into how presets work.

My import preset:
- Adds the develop settings I mentioned
- Adds my copyright info
- Adds some basic keywords I always add
- renames the files to my format (yyyy.mm.dd.hh.mm.ss.##)
- copies files onto my NAS server into the directories it creates automatically (Pictures/Year/Day)
- makes a backup copy onto an attached external drive

The develop settings are basic, but good enough for maybe 90% of images. I then fine tune anything by hand that needs it or if I want to go all fine art on it. Lightroom is designed to be flexible and save you work, but all too often I see people drudging through one image at a time. Presets are the key to Lightroom.
08-04-2016, 12:49 PM   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, John I consider myself pretty good with Lightroom in terms of adjustments, and also with library management - but I've done nothing with presets (I have default develop settings that I prefer for each camera, but that's it). I'll have to set some time aside to work through how to setup and use them. I have Martin Evening's excellent book, and I'm sure that covers it.
08-04-2016, 06:00 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
If instead of lightroom you use Ricoh's software, the raw files have whatever jpeg settings were active when you took the photo. Also, in the window for contrast, saturation etc you have two buttons, to use the camera's default (i.e. settings you picked, not actually all default) or the computer software's defaults.
Silkypix Developer Studio produces the images I like. Is there a way to copy the Silkypix profile and make it usable for Lightroom? I'm assuming the answer is no.
Save
08-04-2016, 06:02 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eachaglimpse Quote

I believe the Ricoh software will give me what I need as suggested by aaacb.
I think so, too.

According to another poster, the camera JPEGs are using the Silkypix engine to develop from RAW - so that's the same as your DCU software. The results should be very similar.

Ultimately, Jatrax is right ... figure out the Lightroom equivalents (even if it takes a while) and save as many of them as possible as a preset. Make it the default one in the Import process, if you like.