Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2016, 02:33 PM   #1

Capture One Pro 8 does not work with Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Hello Pentaxians,

just in case anyone sticks to the previous Capture One Pro 8 version, be aware that if you upgrade to Windows 10 Anniversary Edition you will not be able to start C1 anymore. The solution that Phase One suggests is to roll back the Windows 10 upgrade or to buy paid upgrade to Capture One Pro 9.

More information available on official Phase One forum:
Phase One and Leaf-Mamiya Official User to User Forum ? View topic - Error message when starting C1 8 on Windows 10

Regards,
apete

08-08-2016, 03:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My computer became effectively unusable after the update. It took 10 minutes to get to the log on screen and another 5 minutes to get past the password entry. Any operation after that took several minutes to process.

Once I removed the Nvidia graphics card and went back to the onboard video, the PC ran normally.
08-08-2016, 03:36 PM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

My system has definitely slowed down somewhat post-upgrade, but a large part of that seems like it could be down to Windows Defender...
08-08-2016, 06:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by apete Quote
Capture One Pro 8 does not work with Windows 10 Anniversary Update
From the link you posted:

QuoteQuote:
Windows 10 Anniversary Edition will not be supported with Capture One 8 and prior. It contains a .net change that breaks all Capture One versions prior to 9. This fix is already deployed so Capture One 9 customers will not be affected.
Kind regards,

Justin
Team Phase One Support
The .Net change will probably also damage a lot of other apps aside from Capture One.
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
My computer became effectively unusable after the update.
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
My system has definitely slowed down somewhat post-upgrade
More Windows 10 fun from our friends at MS.

08-08-2016, 10:41 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If your computer slow's down after updating to W10, I would suggest going to "Defragment & Optimize Drive" and Optimize the main drive (The [C:] Drive) to see if it helps speed things up. When my computer updated from W8 to W8.1, my computer slowed down alot (it would take forever to turn on & turn off), but after I optimized to main [C:] drive, it sped up.
08-08-2016, 11:44 PM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
If your computer slow's down after updating to W10, I would suggest going to "Defragment & Optimize Drive" and Optimize the main drive (The [C:] Drive) to see if it helps speed things up. When my computer updated from W8 to W8.1, my computer slowed down alot (it would take forever to turn on & turn off), but after I optimized to main [C:] drive, it sped up.
It's not that in my case, unfortunately, as I have automatic defrag and optimisation set, and it currently shows my main drive as 0% defragmented...
08-09-2016, 02:09 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
Can I defrag an SSD?

08-10-2016, 06:34 PM   #8
Pentaxian

This thread is just another reason why I have no regrets for not upgrading and sticking with Windows 7. I'm not a Capture 1 user but I likely have software that would no longer work.
08-10-2016, 08:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

My two Windows 10 PC's went through a big 'patch Tuesday' update cycle in the last day. I am now on W10 Home v1511 OS Build 10586.545 (64 bit).

I don't think it was the W10 Anniversary Update (?). Capture One Pro v8 still runs OK. No other apps report errors either.
08-11-2016, 11:38 AM   #10

v1511 means it was released in Nov of 2015 (YYMM). Microsoft released two major updates in Nov 2015 (service packs if you like). The anniversary edition is v1604.

I just installed v1511 build 10586.545 x64. So far no stability problems, a few new or different icons and apps. Performance issues seems related to additional updates being installed in the background. Once those are done it seems the same as before the update.
08-11-2016, 01:00 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Can I defrag an SSD?
I would not invoke Defrag but let Windows handle it intelligently

The real and complete story - Does Windows defragment your SSD? - Scott Hanselman
08-11-2016, 01:04 PM   #12

Original Poster
I have good news. Phase One decided to prepare yet another Capture One Pro 8 compilation. For now it is beta only available for the guys who contact their support. Hopefully the build will be widely available as soon as the tests are passed.

To give you some backgrounds on the case: I know that most of us are used to complain about Microsoft/Windows but according to some Capture One users who were digging into the root cause of the issue it was C1 developers' fault as they were using some undocumented functions. Phase One initially did not want to provide the fix pushing all to buy paid upgrade to Capture One Pro 9. The upgrade is some 90+ EUR which is pretty much if you are happy with version 8 and you are not interested in the new version 9 features. Furthermore, version 8 is not that old as it was still the latest C1 version a year ago...

Overall all is well that ends well and thanks Phase One for preparing the fix!
08-11-2016, 03:01 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
It's not that in my case, unfortunately, as I have automatic defrag and optimisation set, and it currently shows my main drive as 0% defragmented...
It showed the same percentage on mine when it updated to 8.1, I still did the "optimize" on it & sped it up, so there's still a good chance it'll work on yours.

---------- Post added 08-11-16 at 03:10 PM ----------

Can I defrag an SSD?
Truthfully I have no idea. I don't have a SSD in my computer (or know that much about them) so I wouldn't know. Maybe somebody else on here on the forums knows more about it that can give more info on whether or not you can.
08-11-2016, 03:45 PM   #14

Can I defrag an SSD?
Yes you can but use a tool like AusLogic's DiskDefrag in the SSD mode. A regular Windows defrag on SSD should avoided.