Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2016, 09:23 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Polarr 4.0

I haven't seen much about Polarr on these forums in my lurking, but I have been using it since version 2.0. 4.0 just came out a month or so ago and wanted to share my input for those that might be curious or want a good low-cost RAW editor.
Overall, Versions 3.0 and 4.0 have made some huge improvements, and I now do about 95% of my photo editing with Polarr and reserve Adobe Photoshop for brush touch-ups (clone tool!). For $20 to get the pro version, I am really happy with it. It is fast, intuitive, and has all the options I would expect for processing photos. Most of the things folks would do in lightroom can be done in Polarr. If anyone is interested in a in-depth review, I would be happy to write one up.

08-21-2016, 09:27 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used to love it... On my 2gb chromebook. But version 3 failed me due to increased memory requirements. Since then I obtained a laptop, Adobe creative cloud, and dxo.
08-21-2016, 09:50 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ah. I only use it on my PC, as I haven't kept a laptop around in ages. I figured it would be more laptop friendly than the heavier processing requirements of most Adobe programs, but cloud operation is a game changer for an ultralight processing platform like chromebook.
08-21-2016, 10:17 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bhbrake Quote
Ah. I only use it on my PC, as I haven't kept a laptop around in ages. I figured it would be more laptop friendly than the heavier processing requirements of most Adobe programs, but cloud operation is a game changer for an ultralight processing platform like chromebook.
Sorry to mislead you. Creative cloud is only cloud in name. All programs run locally unless you are part of a beta program for education that used Google app engine virtual machines in addition to chromebook. My use is now on a moderately priced laptop.

08-21-2016, 11:57 PM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd never heard of Polarr before, but I've just downloaded it and tried it out. As a Lightroom 6 on Windows 10 user, this is an impressive little app!

A couple of questions...

1. Using the Windows version, where are saved photos stored - locally or online? If it's online, what about when you have no internet connectivity?
2. I haven't been through the legal stuff yet, but do you know if using this app gives the provider any rights to use your photographs now or in the future?

EDIT: I already answered #1 - there's a "polarr" subdirectory created in my Pictures folder

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-22-2016 at 09:14 AM.
08-22-2016, 05:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

To save people Googling, here's the Polarr home page.
08-22-2016, 07:20 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'd never heard of Polarr before, but I've just downloaded it and tried it out. As a Lightroom 6 on Windows 10 user, this is an impressive little app!

A couple of questions...

1. Using the Windows version, where are saved photos stored - locally or online? If it's online, what about when you have no internet connectivity?
2. I haven't been through the legal stuff yet, but do you know if using this app gives the provider any rights to use your photographs now or in the future?

EDIT: I already answered #1 - there's a "polarr" subdirectory created in my Pictures folder

I store everything locally and don't mess with any of their cloud operations. You can install Polarr locally and run it with no internet connection. To my knowledge Polarr does not retain any kind of distribution rights to your images, but since I only operate the program locally, it is a non issue for me. The $20 pro version is mainly beneficial for the watermarking, batch processing, and spot/gradient filter applications. Most of the pre-set filter packs tehy give you with the pro upgrade just kitschy junk IMO.