Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2016, 08:13 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
I just tried this, and it seems when I use Abobe DNG converter that I just downloaded from their site today, even after a computer restart, the K1 images from the pentaxforum sample page are considered a non supported raw file by this DNG program. What am I doing wrong? UFRaw, a much slower and less sophisticated program, does not have this issue?
I could not convert the K-1 DNG version. The K-1 PEF version did convert, as did K3 versions of DNG and PEF files. If your PEF file didn't convert, then I'm not sure what you may have done wrong because honestly I'm not sure what I did right, being I can't see any of the files (old or new DNG, PEF, and CR2) in the file dialog box. I was surprised it worked after it failed to convert initially. Could be related to my system variables verses your system. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium on an older HP desktop with a i7-2600 CPU and 12GB of ram. I typically keep all my system software up to date. I have not tried the converter on my wife's desktop, which is using an i7 equivalent AMD chip set. Guess I'll have to try it and see if I can replicate my results.

Ultimately, I think Adam is right. At some point in the future (hopefully not too near in the future, as I'll nurse this thing along for as long as I can) I'm going to have to bit the bullet and go to CC.

Last edited by david94903; 08-28-2016 at 09:47 PM.
08-28-2016, 08:39 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote
The K-1 PEF version did convert
I guess I will have to see if A PEF file will work with my system. Where did you find one to download? I'm not seeing any links in the article.
08-28-2016, 08:43 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess I will have to see if A PEF file will work with my system. Where did you find one to download? I'm not seeing any links in the article.
A lot of excellent PEF samples here. The PEF's are big files, the resolutions is stunning.

Pentax K-1 real-world sample gallery: Digital Photography Review
08-28-2016, 09:11 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote
I could not convert the K-1 DNG version.
That is so weird, because I was able to convert the PEF files like you did too with them not showing in the folder being converted. Why is the K1's DNG format different than what the Adobe converter makes of the PEF file? I suppose the K1 DNG is not a standard DNG?

08-28-2016, 09:24 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That is so weird, because I was able to convert the PEF files like you did too with them not showing in the folder being converted. Why is the K1's DNG format different than what the Adobe converter makes of the PEF file? I suppose the K1 DNG is not a standard DNG?
I'm sure others could answer the technical part, why one DNG format is not compatible with other DNG formats, much more aptly than I'd ever begin to. I'm definitely in the realm of the end-user, who at this point, just got lucky
08-28-2016, 10:42 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Two types of DNG on PentaxForums samples page

There are both out-of-camera DNGs and out-of-software DNGs on the samples page.

The out-of-camera DNGs have names like "IMGP0111.DNG".
They appear to conform to the DNG specification.
The "validate" tool from the DNG SDK processes them without comment.
They are (as expected from the K-1) DNG version 1.2.0.0.
Lightroom doesn't show GPS coordinates for these in the default Metadata panel.

The out-of-software DNGs have names like: "160506103p.dng".
The "validate" tool gave the following warning for "160506103p.dng":
*** Warning: IFD 0 XMP has unexpected type (Undefined) ***
This may simply be because the DNG SDK I'm using is old, or it may be something significant.
It contains XMP (unlike the out-of-camera DNGs), for example:
XMP: stEvt:softwareAgent="Adobe Photoshop Camera Raw 9.5 (Windows)"
Lightroom shows GPS coordinates for these in the default Metadata panel.

I don't know whether this explains any of the problems. Do the problems only occur with the out-of-software DNGs?

(ps: I use Lightroom 2015.6.1 from Adobe CC, and it imported all of them without problems).

Last edited by Barry Pearson; 08-28-2016 at 10:53 PM.
08-29-2016, 05:20 AM   #22
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
There are both out-of-camera DNGs and out-of-software DNGs on the samples page.

The out-of-camera DNGs have names like "IMGP0111.DNG".
They appear to conform to the DNG specification.
The "validate" tool from the DNG SDK processes them without comment.
They are (as expected from the K-1) DNG version 1.2.0.0.
Lightroom doesn't show GPS coordinates for these in the default Metadata panel.

The out-of-software DNGs have names like: "160506103p.dng".
The "validate" tool gave the following warning for "160506103p.dng":
*** Warning: IFD 0 XMP has unexpected type (Undefined) ***
This may simply be because the DNG SDK I'm using is old, or it may be something significant.
It contains XMP (unlike the out-of-camera DNGs), for example:
XMP: stEvt:softwareAgent="Adobe Photoshop Camera Raw 9.5 (Windows)"
Lightroom shows GPS coordinates for these in the default Metadata panel.

I don't know whether this explains any of the problems. Do the problems only occur with the out-of-software DNGs?

(ps: I use Lightroom 2015.6.1 from Adobe CC, and it imported all of them without problems).
Just checked an out of software DNG seeing the lion was an out of camera one. It opened fine in Darktable and I also checked Raw Therapee and it did fine on both. Raw Therapee has a strong following if anyone is looking for an alternative.