Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2016, 07:32 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Editing Pentax K1 raw images from full size sample page?

So I downloaded a few images from this page on pentaxforums, showing some full size K1 raw files:

Pentax K-1 Full-Size Sample Photos - Hands-On Tests | PentaxForums.com

But when I tried to open them on my computer to see if it could handle them, I used Adobe Photoshop CS5 as usual and it said "Could not complete your request because the file format module cannot parse the file." Does anyone know what this means, or better yet, has anyone also downloaded these images and were able to "tinker" with them to see if their computer could handle a 40mb+ raw file? Any help much appreciated. Thanks

08-26-2016, 07:41 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It means your version of photoshop and camera raw is too old to know what to do with a brand new camera's file.
08-26-2016, 07:52 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you updated to the latest version of camera raw? Even CS6 doesn't support the K-1's PEFs, but it can open any DNG.

Might be a good time to consider updating to CC- especially now that the $8/month deal is live.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-26-2016, 08:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

My CS6 had no problems with K1 files.

Download and install this:

Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Windows : Adobe DNG Converter 9.6.1 : Thank You

Last edited by wildman; 08-28-2016 at 05:05 AM.
08-26-2016, 08:17 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Makes no sense to me that even an old version of the Adobe DNG converter can handle new RAW files when Lightroom cannot without updating to the newest version. Why don't they just build the DNG converter into Lightroom so that unsupported RAWs are auto converted to supported DNG on the fly?
This happened to me with the new Olympus OM-D .orf RAW files that Lightroom 5.5 can't open, yet the DNG converter can. Even an old version of RAWtherapee and Lightzone can handle the .orf RAWs, but not Lightroom, it's a scam I tell you.
08-26-2016, 08:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Makes no sense to me that even an old version of the Adobe DNG converter can handle new RAW files when Lightroom cannot without updating to the newest version. Why don't they just build the DNG converter into Lightroom so that unsupported RAWs are auto converted to supported DNG on the fly?
This happened to me with the new Olympus OM-D .orf RAW files that Lightroom 5.5 can't open, yet the DNG converter can. Even an old version of RAWtherapee and Lightzone can handle the .orf RAWs, but not Lightroom, it's a scam I tell you.
Because LR, PS and ACR are not directly opening your ORF files but are first being converted to DNG and then opened?
In other words LR, PS and ACR can only open and process in their native Adobe DNG format?
08-26-2016, 09:41 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
It means your version of photoshop and camera raw is too old to know what to do with a brand new camera's file.
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
but it can open any DNG.
So I tried updating Adobe Camera Raw and even tried using the DNG converter, but the sample files I downloaded from the pentaxforum page were the DNG ones, so they should open in photoshop, correct? Does this mean CS5 can't even handle DNG files from the K1?
08-26-2016, 11:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Can an old DNG Converter handle new non-DNG files? That would be a first! In fact, I would have rated this as "impossible". (I used to maintain a history of such updates, so I've had a lot of experience of this).

What normally happens is that once Adobe know what the new non-DNG files are like, they "simultaneously" upgrade the core raw converter in ACR and Lightroom, (which will become available to users of the latest versions of Photoshop and Lightroom), and release an upgraded DNG Converter.

The core code is shared between DNG Converter, Lightroom, and ACR. (After all, the DNG Converter is also a raw converter in its own right, because it has to be able to create JPEG previews from the raw data).

---------- Post added 27th Aug 2016 at 08:03 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
So I tried updating Adobe Camera Raw and even tried using the DNG converter, but the sample files I downloaded from the pentaxforum page were the DNG ones, so they should open in photoshop, correct? Does this mean CS5 can't even handle DNG files from the K1?
The K-1 itself uses DNG version 1.2.0.0. (At least in all the cases I've looked at).

I'm puzzled: I would expect ACR 4.5, DNG Converter 4.5, and Lightroom 2.0, all to be able to handle that version of DNG. That should mean products from 2009 onwards, and Photoshop CS3 and onwards.

However, some post-processing (and special features) results in DNG version 1.4.0.0, which will need later versions: Default User Crop, Transparency, Floating Point (HDR), Lossy Compression, Proxies.

08-27-2016, 02:04 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Because LR, PS and ACR are not directly opening your ORF files but are first being converted to DNG and then opened?
In other words LR, PS and ACR can only open and process in their native Adobe DNG format?
I think you have totally misread my post.
08-27-2016, 02:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I think you have totally misread my post.
Very possible - I do it all the time.

Last edited by wildman; 08-27-2016 at 04:44 AM.
08-27-2016, 03:24 AM   #11
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
or better yet, has anyone also downloaded these images and were able to "tinker" with them to see if their computer could handle a 40mb+ raw file? Any help much appreciated. Thanks
I run a linux computer and can confirm Darktable (2.0.5) opens these files as normal , exports them as tiffs nicely and Gimp 2.8 (8 bit) handles them easily on my dual core with 8gig of ram. I used the Lions head as an example and the quality of the image is absolutely gorgeous.
08-27-2016, 08:50 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
I run a linux computer and can confirm Darktable (2.0.5) opens these files as normal , exports them as tiffs nicely and Gimp 2.8 (8 bit) handles them easily on my dual core with 8gig of ram. I used the Lions head as an example and the quality of the image is absolutely gorgeous.
Perfect! Thanks for the response. I was able to process one of these samples with UFRaw and then sucessfully open it with GIMP 2.8 as well as Photoshop CS5 as a .ppm, tif, or jpg file. So this must be an ACR problem. I couldn't find a Darktable download for Windows 10 though, is there such a thing? And does anyone have any other ideas how I can get a K1 image to work in ACR?

Last edited by stillshot2; 08-27-2016 at 01:35 PM.
08-27-2016, 01:14 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So does that mean those of us with CS5 and Light Room 4 and earlier are going to be relegate to using JPG's if we don't want to upgrade to CC? I tried using the latest RAW converter and it doesn't appear to recognize the DNG nor the PEF format.

Personally, I've used CC and I don't find any of the new features different from my current workflow. Except now I have expend money monthly in order to do what I already do.

UPDATE TO MY EARLIER POST -

So not to be defeated, I went back to the RAW Converter after rebooting my system, and still could not see the DNG or PEF files in the dialog box. On a whim, decided to hit CONVERT just to see what it would do. A window popped up saying it successfully converted the PEF to DNG and that it could not convert the existing DNG to a DNG. The converted DNG opened in both CS5 and LR4 flawlessly. I've tested it on other PEF files, they converted as well but none of theme show up in the RAW Converter dialog window. Very odd. Well, at least now I know I can keep using CS5 and LR4 into the near future.

I'd be curious to see if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Last edited by david94903; 08-27-2016 at 05:20 PM. Reason: UPDATE BASED ON NEW INFORMATION
08-28-2016, 12:24 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote
So does that mean those of us with CS5 and Light Room 4 and earlier are going to be relegate to using JPG's if we don't want to upgrade to CC? I tried using the latest RAW converter and it doesn't appear to recognize the DNG nor the PEF format.

Personally, I've used CC and I don't find any of the new features different from my current workflow. Except now I have expend money monthly in order to do what I already do.

UPDATE TO MY EARLIER POST -

So not to be defeated, I went back to the RAW Converter after rebooting my system, and still could not see the DNG or PEF files in the dialog box. On a whim, decided to hit CONVERT just to see what it would do. A window popped up saying it successfully converted the PEF to DNG and that it could not convert the existing DNG to a DNG. The converted DNG opened in both CS5 and LR4 flawlessly. I've tested it on other PEF files, they converted as well but none of theme show up in the RAW Converter dialog window. Very odd. Well, at least now I know I can keep using CS5 and LR4 into the near future.

Happy to hear this worked!

You can also definitely open the DNGs with CS6 if you don't want to get CC (but CC really is cheaper in the long run with today's pricing).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-28-2016, 05:51 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote

I just tried this, and it seems when I use Abobe DNG converter that I just downloaded from their site today, even after a computer restart, the K1 images from the pentaxforum sample page are considered a non supported raw file by this DNG program. What am I doing wrong? UFRaw, a much slower and less sophisticated program, does not have this issue?