Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2016, 12:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lightroom issue when importing

When I import into Lightroom, I have "don't import suspected duplicates" checked, however, it still has some images highlighted as if I have not imported them. Sometimes I forgot and end up importing an image 2 or 3 times before I clear off my card. How does it decide what is a duplicate image? Why does it think I have not imported images when I have?

08-27-2016, 12:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you hive done some editing and deleted them (but not from the card) then LR assumes they have not been imported before.
08-27-2016, 01:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
If you hive done some editing and deleted them (but not from the card) then LR assumes they have not been imported before.
I understand about the deleted ones showing up, but edited ones do too? These are pictures I have in my catalog already
08-27-2016, 02:55 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It keeps track of the file name (example IMGP3456.DNG) when you initially import it. If that filename gets changed, deleted, or moved to a different folder, it won't recognize it as a duplicate.

08-27-2016, 03:16 PM   #5
mee
Veteran Member

Also, you may have two or more Catalogs on your hard drive. I've experience LR trying to import files onto my C drive (when my catalog is on my F drive) after I've imported a file off of the hard drive. So you may want to check to see if the import screen is loading into the correct library/drive.
08-27-2016, 04:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I only have one catalog so I will look at the file name. I do sometimes rename the file on import so that might be it.
08-27-2016, 05:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
When I import into Lightroom, I have "don't import suspected duplicates" checked, however, it still has some images highlighted as if I have not imported them. Sometimes I forgot and end up importing an image 2 or 3 times before I clear off my card. How does it decide what is a duplicate image? Why does it think I have not imported images when I have?
I've had this happen many times. Don't know why it happens.
Seems to do it most often when I am at an event and swap cards several times. It is not a matter of the photo numbers overlapping between the two cards, either.
I insert one card, download photos. Insert the second card, download photos.
After a while of shooting, I insert the first card and some of the old photos download a second time along with new photos.
Once in that state, it continues to re-download existing images form both cards.

Oddly, it does not always happen, but enough to be VERY annoying.

08-27-2016, 05:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
I've had this happen many times. Don't know why it happens.
Seems to do it most often when I am at an event and swap cards several times. It is not a matter of the photo numbers overlapping between the two cards, either.
I insert one card, download photos. Insert the second card, download photos.
After a while of shooting, I insert the first card and some of the old photos download a second time along with new photos.
Once in that state, it continues to re-download existing images form both cards.

Oddly, it does not always happen, but enough to be VERY annoying.
It seems to happen mostly with my pentax, but I am not positive because I don't use the Nikon as much. But it sounds like the same. I download a few off the card, go shoot some more, and then go back and some images download again, but not all of them. I have to go through and delete random duplicate images. Such a pain.
08-27-2016, 06:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Could be corrupt preference file. Easiest way would be to format the card after each import.
08-27-2016, 07:28 PM   #10
Pentaxian

There is also a consistency check / re-indexing you can with the catalog. It never happens to me except for ones I've deleted from the catalog.
08-28-2016, 03:48 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RollsUp Quote
Could be corrupt preference file. Easiest way would be to format the card after each import.
I would suggest one NEVER delete your data until it is backed up!
Formatting the card after import without knowing it is backed and safe is a REALLY BAD idea. Too many things can go wrong.

I would try quitting and restarting Lightroom or even force it to do its database integrity checks to see if it fixes the catalog indexes before risking loss of data.
Unfortunately, I have not had the time to experiment while at events, and naturally I have not had the luck to be able to reproduce at home.