Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2016, 03:26 PM   #1

DNG Thumbnails in windows 10 folders ** Resolved

Have noticed for a while now that in Windows 10 I have problems viewing thumbnails of my RAW (DNG) files from my K-5, but not my K-50 (see screen shot attached)

Can anyone suggest where can acquire the right codec to allow viewing of thumbnails as currently only option is to open file by file to find the image I am looking for

Thanks

Attached Images

Last edited by delboy65; 08-28-2016 at 06:54 AM. Reason: problem resolved
08-27-2016, 03:54 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by delboy65 Quote
Have noticed for a while now that in Windows 10 I have problems viewing thumbnails of my RAW (DNG) files from my K-5, but not my K-50 (see screen shot attached)

Can anyone suggest where can acquire the right codec to allow viewing of thumbnails as currently only option is to open file by file to find the image I am looking for

Thanks
Google this...
DNGCodec_2_0_Installer
...It works for me...good luck.
08-27-2016, 03:54 PM - 2 Likes   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try this link:Adobe - DNG Codec : For Windows
08-27-2016, 04:18 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Note that some raw viewers will only show you the jpeg thumbnail embedded in the file. This thumbnail is not actually the raw data, but an in-camera processed photo, which includes things like jpeg mode (Bright, Film reversal, Black and white, etc.), digital filters, corrections, and other options which are not actually present in the raw data..
Just so you know why your thumbnails or previews might look so different from the raw data that you open with an actual raw developing software like Lightroom or SilkyPix

08-28-2016, 01:40 AM - 1 Like   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by photomax7 Quote
Google this...
DNGCodec_2_0_Installer
...It works for me...good luck.
It works for me also for my K-3 II
08-28-2016, 06:53 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SciFiGuy Quote
Thank you SciFiGuy; works a treat
Attached Images

08-29-2016, 11:05 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Just in case anybody has similar experience to me, the Adobe codec is way too slow for me (on Win7 and Win10). For a full album of thumbnails it just takes forever to build all the thumbnail images, so I bought Fast Picture Viewer Code Pack ($10) and it's much faster for me...
08-31-2016, 06:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
Just in case anybody has similar experience to me, the Adobe codec is way too slow for me (on Win7 and Win10). For a full album of thumbnails it just takes forever to build all the thumbnail images, so I bought Fast Picture Viewer Code Pack ($10) and it's much faster for me...
I second this reply. I do not use Adobe's codec due to speed; it can take a long time to render thumbnails. I suspect it builds them from the raw data, and it seems like it rebuilds them each time. I never gave it much of a chance after spending a few weeks in agony.

The Fast Picture Viewer codec is really fast and has the advantage of working with any RAW format. That advantage comes down to one installer for virtually any RAW format rather than finding separate codecs for each raw format. This only matters because we do have some cameras from other photo systems.

I do suspect the Fast Picture Viewer codec pulls the embedded image from a RAW, so the representation is not necessarily accurate, but I generally don't worry about that when I am viewing thumbnails. I'm usually looking for a photo knowing I'll need to do some PP.