Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-31-2016, 02:49 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow.... Thanks for all the feedback. Never realized RAW support is more than just format dependent, but also camera specific. That just seems so dumb to me.

08-31-2016, 02:53 PM   #17
KDD
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check Corel update and Check Microsoft or Mac Update.
09-01-2016, 05:16 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
I wonder (and no one here may know the answer) whether anyone has seen evidence that PSP is incorporating features from ASP? Perhaps this is why there is seemingly little progress in ASP? I've not checked out PSP in ages. I wasn't too impressed when I got a copy of the X2 version years ago, but based on that number and the current number, things may be quite different now.
It's set up to compliment each other. ASP to convert RAW and then PSP for pixel editing. There's a button at the top of ASP to send your adjusted RAW to PSP..
09-03-2016, 10:41 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
RawTherapee handled the PEF's just fine so I think I'll just abandon ASP and Capture One, and I'll start using Rawtherapee more....though I do hate how non-user friendly it is.....

09-05-2016, 07:14 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thazooo Quote
It's set up to compliment each other. ASP to convert RAW and then PSP for pixel editing. There's a button at the top of ASP to send your adjusted RAW to PSP..
If you are in PSP, what happens when you open a RAW photo? Does it go to ASP, or does it just open it?

With Photoshop, when you open a RAW, you get ACR, which is the same thing that is underlying LR. I was wondering if PSP is using ASP as an underlying engine within PSP when you open RAWs or is it using something independently. Back when I tried out PSP X2, it was before they owned ASP (Bibble), and you could open an process a RAW file within PSP. I suppose I could check it out, but given the lack of progress on ASP, I won't check out PSP any time soon. I'll wait for a windows version of Affinity or just keep with CS6.
09-06-2016, 06:26 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
If you are in PSP, what happens when you open a RAW photo? Does it go to ASP, or does it just open it?

With Photoshop, when you open a RAW, you get ACR, which is the same thing that is underlying LR. I was wondering if PSP is using ASP as an underlying engine within PSP when you open RAWs or is it using something independently. Back when I tried out PSP X2, it was before they owned ASP (Bibble), and you could open an process a RAW file within PSP. I suppose I could check it out, but given the lack of progress on ASP, I won't check out PSP any time soon. I'll wait for a windows version of Affinity or just keep with CS6.
It opens it in PSP's RAW converter. PSP's RAW converter is primitive at best. Corels 'Seamless' operation isn't.
09-06-2016, 10:00 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It opens it in PSP's RAW converter. PSP's RAW converter is primitive at best. Corels 'Seamless' operation isn't.
What does it lack?
The fact that it uses the PSP raw converter is actually good news since ASP doesn't support most of the newer Pentax cameras but PSP supposedly does.

09-06-2016, 10:42 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I agree the built in raw converter for PSP isn't great, however, if you purchase the after shot package with PSP, you can set your raw file to be opened with aftershot then export it to PSP very easily.

That being said, the raw converter built into PSP does have some features that are better than the ones provided in ASP, I.E. the noise reduction and sharpening tools are better IMHO. This is, of course if you can get ASP to open your files in the first place and if ASP is working correctly at the time. I have a remote session scheduled to see if corel can figure out some of the issues I having with the latest and greatest version of ASP.
09-06-2016, 10:42 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Thanks... that's what I remember. I would have thought that they would have tried to integrate the two more seamlessly by now. It seems that often times the acquisition of another software is not a sign of much intent by the purchaser. It's too bad.

-Erik
09-06-2016, 06:47 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
What does it lack?
The fact that it uses the PSP raw converter is actually good news since ASP doesn't support most of the newer Pentax cameras but PSP supposedly does.
Basic RAW conversions only like DCU from Pentax. I gauge the usefulness of a RAW converter on how well it matches the one supplied by Pentax. Color, exposure, contrast, artifacts . If the other than Pentax converter is off where I have to make adjustments to get it to match, why bother? I can make minor adjustments in DCU and save as a .tiff then port it to a full editing program for other adjustments I wish to do. Bibble / ASP was a good match to start so it's sad that they won't keep Camera Profiles current.
04-16-2017, 12:58 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Here is the list of supported cameras, from the Corel website: K100D, K100D Super, K10D, K110D, K20D, K200D, K2000, *ist D, *ist DL, *IST DL2, *ist DS, *ist DS2, K-01, K-3, K-5, K-5 II, K-5 IIs, K-50, K-500, K-7, K-30, K-m, K-r, K-x, MX-1, Q, Q7, Q10, 645D, 645Z

RAW converter, RAW Photo Editing Software - Corel AfterShot Pro 3 - Formerly Bibble

I don't see the K-1, K-70, K-S1 or K-S2 in that list... which is why I went to RawTherapee.

Having said that, I'm considering Paint Shop Pro in the future... because I do like Corel, even though I think they're not investing as much as they should on Aftershot Pro.
K-1, K-S1 and K-S2 are available as free plug ins, so it looks like it is just K-70 that is not available a the moment.
06-28-2017, 04:29 PM - 1 Like   #27

K-70 now available also

ASP 3 now has two free plugins: K-70 and K-70 (DNG). I found ASP 3 did not at first recognize my K-70 DNG photos but these two plugins (under the "*Get More Stuff" tab) cause it to recognize my photos now.
06-28-2017, 08:33 PM   #28
Veteran Member

On a semi-related note i've got this "issue" w/ ASP2 and "losing" files.. Well not really losing but refusing to open.
Here is the issue:
Say I have 30 RAW files in a folder. Every once in awhile it won't recognize they are there..
But if I copy/paste or cut/paste to a different folder it does..

Even if I copy/paste and go back to the orig folder in Windows.. double click to open in explorer ASP 2 pro opens but with.. nothing..black preview ect.
I can go to the exact same image in the new folder double click and it opens in ASP just fine..
This has happened a few times..Really annoying..
Stupidest thing ever........
Trying to navigate in ASP and it briefly shows like scan...............0 of 62 (thats the RAW #)
And then nothing..

I know older version ect.. but still.

OK now I'm really annoyed. While typing this I was just going through the files and now the copies aren't loading in the new folder..
116 images per explorer.. none in ASP..

small addendum.. Every once in awhile one or a couple out of many will show up in ASP
06-28-2017, 10:16 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by Gfaster Quote
ASP 3 now has two free plugins: K-70 and K-70 (DNG). I found ASP 3 did not at first recognize my K-70 DNG photos but these two plugins (under the "*Get More Stuff" tab) cause it to recognize my photos now.
Thank you. I have just loaded these plug ins and I can see my photos now. Ironically, I have been in contact with Corel this week about when these plugins will be available, and their support people are completely clueless. How Corel are unable to tell someone that a product of theirs is being imminently released is beyond me.