Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2016, 06:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

What's good freeware for making time lapse videos?

I made a little village out of toast, soaked it in lighter fluid, and burned it to the ground. I had my K-3's intervalometer going the whole time, and now I want to make a time lapse video. What freeware would you recommend? I'm going for something simple and straightforward, instead of something where I can fine-tune everything for professional results.

08-30-2016, 06:58 PM   #2
mee
Veteran Member

I just googled and came up with this

beyond that I am not sure. However, I do know older versions of Lightroom could do this in the slideshow module. Maybe a lesser known trick.. select the frames, drastically reduce the slide duration, and export the mp4. There are even some presets for formatting properly out there. That is, if you have an older copy of LR.
08-30-2016, 07:32 PM   #3
Forum Member

Free time-lapse software...

1. Use Picasa to make a timelapse

2. Use Windows Movie Maker 6 to make a timelapse

3. Use Photolapse to make a timelapse

4. Use Panolapse Free version to make a time-lapse

5. For Apple Macs: use Time Lapse Assembler

You said you were looking for something simple and straightforward, then Movie Maker would be my pick.

Dont forget there are two other ways you can make time-lapses, using video editing software: one is to shoot regular video, then speed it up. The other way is to shoot a handful of images, or short videos, and then fade them into each other using video editing software. Might come in handy for a day to night scene with no moving clouds. But for the scene you describe, the video fade method would not give as good a result.

I use a Ricoh GX200, a 12mp compact camera from 2008 which has an integral intervalometer, compiled the time-lapse in Picasa. No deflicker even needed. Result is pretty good.

Last edited by Scobra; 08-30-2016 at 07:54 PM.
08-30-2016, 08:59 PM   #4

I thought Picassa was discontinued in May.

I've used the make movie function in the focus stacking program CombineZP. It looks like the website is down so it may no longer be available unless you can find the install files somewhere.

08-30-2016, 11:59 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use VirtualDub for my timelapses - see for example:

Using VirtualDub for Time-Lapse
08-31-2016, 12:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-3ii does it internally, I've made a few. Check to see of the K-3 does the same.

You obviously have to capture the series in timelapse mode though upfront. Keep in mind for next time
08-31-2016, 04:04 AM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I thought Picassa was discontinued in May.
It was, but I still have the program on my laptop and it still works for timelapse. Movie Maker 6 has also been superseded, but I prefer it over later versions. Heres another one where I used Panolapse, which allows a zoom effect, again using my old Ricoh GX200.

08-31-2016, 06:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Panolapse worked really well! Thanks, everyone!
08-31-2016, 09:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Another program to add to the list...

GoPro Studio is software for GoPro's, is quite feature rich, free (albeit a 180MB download), and can make timelapse videos from JPEG's. It's bundled with 'GoPro Desktop', but runs separately.
GoPro App | Desktop