Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2016, 07:58 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
google strikes again? post-Picasa mutations

I've continued to use Picasa to play with images when simple fixes are in order. Recently I posted something that only Chrome users could see, as gPhotos has now taken over the picasaweb system and reformatted it "for consistency" Ironically the image was of my chrome-color K-3ii camera

Now it's gone another step downhill.
I believe that picasaweb used dcraw to show me pretty much every raw format I ever used, often with very nice results for color and detail. That worked for so many cameras that I'm embarrassed (and in fact unable) to count!

Now my K-3ii is in play - and Picasa displays my PEF files as psychedelic static. I switched to dng and all looks well again.

Bad card in slot #2, camera trouble? Oh no!
I was about to post a "what's wrong with my camera" thread, but decided to open the files with DCU5.6.1 -- and there are my PEF images plain as day (not just the thumbnails).

When in doubt now, I simply blame Google; until that reasoning breaks down I'll stick to it.
Nice to see that our shutter-count agrees this is a new camera, shot #1 = actuation #1

08-31-2016, 08:13 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Google Picasa - Google bought it, made it free, developed it, made it a nice program, then neglected it, then dropped it altogether.

I really, really wish google would release picasa to the public domain for continued development. Why just throw it out and leave it broken, when there are so many users who would keep it going?

I love it for viewing jpegs and cropping files for web publication. It's the best program for viewing jpegs across a network and in multiple locations or across multiple computers.
08-31-2016, 10:11 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Now it's gone another step downhill.
It was always the case that PEF can't read correctly. I don't see it as downhill. You can ask for a refund :-)
Just wonder if someone can sue a company for a freeware defect.
09-01-2016, 10:12 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
It was always the case that PEF can't read correctly. I don't see it as downhill. You can ask for a refund :-)
Hmm good point - I often set DNG as soon as the camera is in hand.
Thanks - but I'll still go ahead and blame them

---------- Post added 09-01-16 at 09:14 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Hmm good point - I often set DNG as soon as the camera is in hand. Guess I wouldn't know how long PEF was 'off' for them.
Thanks - but I'll still go ahead and blame them

09-01-2016, 03:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
Why just throw it out and leave it broken, when there are so many users who would keep it going?
You are asking that of a giant, for profit, privately held multinational?
Why wouldn't they "just throw it out and leave it broken" while, of course, still holding onto any copyrights they may hold on it?
Googles concern is not "users" but profit.

Last edited by wildman; 09-01-2016 at 04:06 PM.