Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2016, 08:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
"Puzzle squares" in Lightroom and Photoshop

A couple pictures of my display (taken with my cell phone). I updated my video card driver this morning and the next time I opened Lightroom, I had the problem in the first image. I restarted the computer, but the problem was still there. I opened the Creative Cloud launcher thingy and saw both Lightroom and Photoshop needed updates, so I installed those. Restarted. Still having problems. So I walked away from it for a while. Just went back and had the bright idea to try opening the RAW file in Photoshop, but it has a similar/different problem.

These shots of the screen do change. If I move the mouse or move some sliders around, it'll flicker to another arrangement, and even look "normal", but right now I'm about as angry as I've ever been about anything. It's a new, expensive computer/monitor, top specs, same programs I've been using every day for the last 2 years... I'm really really frustrated.

Any suggestions at all?

09-01-2016, 08:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
I updated my video card driver this morning and the next time I opened Lightroom,
This would seem to be the issue. At least it is the obvious culprit. Can you uninstall the driver or revert to the previous version?
09-01-2016, 08:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
This would seem to be the issue. At least it is the obvious culprit. Can you uninstall the driver or revert to the previous version?
Unfortunately, I'm not that savvy. I'm looking around NVIDIA's website, but I don't see any resources to download old drivers, or even figure out what the previous version was called... or... what. It's all Greek to me, unfortunately.
09-01-2016, 09:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mac or Windows?

On my Windows machine Nvidia has an application in the tray called NVidia experience. See if you can run that it usually has a list of updates and does have other uses such as a system check.

What card are you running?

What version of Windows (if windows)?

09-01-2016, 09:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I do have the "NVIDIA experience" app. It has made it easy in the past to check for new driver updates. Kind of cruel... but I don't see anything that lists past updates (i think that's an oxymoron), or what the previous driver was called. It just tells me that my driver is up to date and shows me the name of my card and the current driver... I don't think I've ever seen a "system check" - I'll look for that.

It's Windows 10, 64-bit. The card is a GeForce GT 720.

I'm in a chat with NVIDIA support right now, but his/her first guess was that it's a faulty card. -_-
09-01-2016, 09:08 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

but his/her first guess was that it's a faulty card.
Ouch. Seems odd, though. If all you did was update the driver and it worked before.

Anyway good luck.
09-01-2016, 09:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Ouch. Seems odd, though. If all you did was update the driver and it worked before.

Anyway good luck.
I know. I'm highly skeptical. Of everything. All the time.

Thanks for the luck!

(Any other insight welcome, please.)

09-01-2016, 09:28 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not familiar with Windows 10 (never went past XP myself, although I'm still occasional tech support for Vista and Win7, and 8.1 family members), but I think you should still be able to roll back the driver through Device Manager. At least this web site says it's still available (and has instructions): Take Back Control Over Driver Updates in Windows 10.
I've only had to do this a couple of times; once the option wasn't available for some reason so I had to install the old one manually. You should be able to find drivers (including old ones) from Nvidia here: Drivers | GeForce. If you do have to search manually, I'd definitely change the last option to "Recommended/Certified" to keep beta drivers from showing up in the list. The list will show release dates for the drivers, so hopefully you can determine which one you need that way. Wish I could be more help--really hate these kinds of issues. Good luck!

--Steve
09-01-2016, 09:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

What happens if, in Lightroom, you tell it not to use the graphics card GPU for a performance boost:

Lightroom 6 menu > Edit > Preferences > Performance > Camera Raw: Use Graphics Processor > untick the box for your graphics card.

then re-start. Same for Photoshop/ACR.

Lightroom doesn't really use the GPU much I've found, so you won't miss much by disabling it.

Also this might be worth a read:

Adobe Lightroom GPU Troubleshooting and FAQ
09-01-2016, 09:55 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Drivers | GeForce

should be able to choose driver download from that site, looks like faulty card,
09-02-2016, 12:04 AM   #11
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A couple pictures of my display (taken with my cell phone). I updated my video card driver this morning and the next time I opened Lightroom, I had the problem in the first image. I restarted the computer, but the problem was still there. I opened the Creative Cloud launcher thingy and saw both Lightroom and Photoshop needed updates, so I installed those. Restarted. Still having problems. So I walked away from it for a while. Just went back and had the bright idea to try opening the RAW file in Photoshop, but it has a similar/different problem.

These shots of the screen do change. If I move the mouse or move some sliders around, it'll flicker to another arrangement, and even look "normal", but right now I'm about as angry as I've ever been about anything. It's a new, expensive computer/monitor, top specs, same programs I've been using every day for the last 2 years... I'm really really frustrated.

Any suggestions at all?
That's interesting, I've had some odd 'lock-ups' like you're seeing, mostly a partial image rendering and it's when I come back into LR6 (desktop version not CC) from Photo 10. If I move the mouse across the screen where the main LR view is it clears up straight away. FYI I'm running two screens and the screen with the control panels is the one that locks up and it's when I run the mouse across that screen that it returns to normal. I've only noticed it in the last week or so too. I've tried again just now to get it to do it again and it didn't, so maybe there is a file size amount before it occurs. I'll keep an eye on it from now on.

On 31 August I did an Nvidia GeForce update (released on 30 August) and I can't recall if it's happened since then. I'm running a Geforce GT630 on Win 7 Pro 64 Bit, my system is about 3 years old.

Will keep an eye out for it happening again.

Tas
09-02-2016, 05:10 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The NVIDIA support rep did show me where and how to install the older drivers, but it didn't resolve the problem. :-(

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
What happens if, in Lightroom, you tell it not to use the graphics card GPU for a performance boost:

Lightroom 6 menu > Edit > Preferences > Performance > Camera Raw: Use Graphics Processor > untick the box for your graphics card.
Wow. Uh. That appears to have worked?? Does that mean the card is bad/faulty for sure??
09-02-2016, 05:39 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

maybe further info here:
Adobe Lightroom GPU Troubleshooting and FAQ

It does suggest from the 760 and up is how I read it.
my bad for suggesting fault with the card, that would be evident across the screen, probably just under spec'ed

Last edited by beachgardener; 09-02-2016 at 05:44 AM. Reason: spelling
09-02-2016, 05:39 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Does that mean the card is bad/faulty for sure??
Not necessarily - just that the driver software is a bit buggy, or the operating system/ app support is not there yet for some of the hardware in the card.

A lot of games commonly encounter similar issues. I also once had problems with Firefox freezing and displaying things weirdly that were resolved when I turned off graphics 'hardware acceleration' in the Firefox options. So it can happen anywhere.
09-02-2016, 06:36 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It could be your cable and or cable got pulled hard while connected to the card/computer damaging the port (mostly on the cable side connector, the card side connector is pretty solid usually). It may also have caused the graphics card to come unseated from the slot slightly which causes this issue.
But uninstalling the driver -> restarting the computer -> and letting the computer detect the hardware again to re-install an updated or current driver again should be your first choice.