Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2016, 03:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
new Mac, no clue please help

I just picked up a MacBook pro and can't get the migration app to connect to my windows machine. I have all Antivirus and firewall off and all I got was the windows waiting for Mac and Mac searching for anything to connect to (network)
then I bought an expensive thunderbolt to eithernet connector hoping to solve the problem but it didn't.
my wife has pictures all over the windows machine hard drive so it would be next to impossible to move via USB key. besides I wouldn't know where to put them in the Mac file system anyway.
anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Randy

09-08-2016, 03:49 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The migration assistant on the Mac or the Windows Migration Assistant on the PC?

Move your data from a Windows PC to a Mac - Apple Support

Macs support Windows networking too. Go into System Preferences, and click Sharing.

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-09-08 at 6.51.22 PM.png
Views: 508
Size:  7.0 KB

Then Click the check box for File Sharing

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-09-08 at 6.52.24 PM.png
Views: 524
Size:  17.6 KB

Then click Options

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-09-08 at 6.53.01 PM.png
Views: 603
Size:  37.9 KB

Share Files and Folders using SMB has to be checked.

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-09-08 at 6.53.35 PM.png
Views: 648
Size:  43.5 KB

Last edited by boriscleto; 09-08-2016 at 03:54 PM.
09-08-2016, 04:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The migration assistant on the Mac or the Windows Migration Assistant on the PC?

Move your data from a Windows PC to a Mac - Apple Support

Macs support Windows networking too. Go into System Preferences, and click Sharing.

Attachment 324675

Then Click the check box for File Sharing

Attachment 324676

Then click Options

Attachment 324677

Share Files and Folders using SMB has to be checked.

Attachment 324678
thank you
I have already followed the instructions in the link and it didn't seem to work. can't even get the two computers to recognize each other.
I don't know anything about sharing unfortunately :[ what am I sharing with that setup, within the mac?

Randy
09-08-2016, 04:50 PM   #4

Also, if it's a new Macbook Pro, it won't have iPhoto... You would launch "Photos", which is the new software that manages your photo library on a Mac.

09-08-2016, 04:51 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Slip, I reckon you could do worse than get a USB hard drive and copy everything across to that. Afterwards, you repurpose it as your backup device - yep, we all need one!
09-08-2016, 04:51 PM   #6

Oops, this might not have posted..... Maybe try this: Pick up a cheap pack of DVDs, find the photos folder on the PC, and then burn that folder to a DVD. Then, put the DVD in the Mac DVD drive, and then launch iPhoto. Then import the photos directly into iPhoto from the DVD. Might work.
09-08-2016, 04:59 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
thank you
I have already followed the instructions in the link and it didn't seem to work. can't even get the two computers to recognize each other.
I don't know anything about sharing unfortunately :[ what am I sharing with that setup, within the mac?

Randy
You can share whatever folder you want to. Two ways to set up a shared folder. One is to click the + under Shared Folders

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-09-08 at 7.51.23 PM.png
Views: 443
Size:  9.8 KB

Then select the folder you want to share.

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-09-08 at 7.52.16 PM.png
Views: 469
Size:  82.8 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-09-08 at 7.56.26 PM.png
Views: 447
Size:  11.9 KB

The other is to do a Get Info on the folder you want to share and then check the Shared Folder checkbox under General

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-09-08 at 7.56.39 PM.png
Views: 442
Size:  21.4 KB

09-08-2016, 06:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I just picked up a MacBook pro and can't get the migration app to connect to my windows machine. I have all Antivirus and firewall off and all I got was the windows waiting for Mac and Mac searching for anything to connect to (network)
then I bought an expensive thunderbolt to eithernet connector hoping to solve the problem but it didn't.
my wife has pictures all over the windows machine hard drive so it would be next to impossible to move via USB key. besides I wouldn't know where to put them in the Mac file system anyway.
anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Randy
If it was me I would take both computers to the nearest Mac store and pay them to do what you want. Probably cost about $100 US. You can go crazy with something like this. Or you can sort through all the photos and put them in a file and put them on a flash drive and move them to the Mac. Assuming all you want is the photos.
09-08-2016, 06:43 PM   #9
CDW
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chris359 Quote
Oops, this might not have posted..... Maybe try this: Pick up a cheap pack of DVDs, find the photos folder on the PC, and then burn that folder to a DVD. Then, put the DVD in the Mac DVD drive, and then launch iPhoto. Then import the photos directly into iPhoto from the DVD. Might work.
Unless it's an ancient MB Pro, it won't have a DVD drive. Best bet is an external SSD with a USB 3 adapter to do the transfers and as Clakers posted, use it as a backup after the transfers are complete.
09-09-2016, 03:02 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I usually get the hard drive out of the old machine and with adapter connect straight to new machine (via USB) and just move the files over...
The adapter cost between 10-30$ depending what is supplied with. It just simply works.
09-09-2016, 06:15 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks everyone! I decided to do it manually via USB stick. is there a main folder called "photos" on the Mac similar to windows?
after 20 years on a PC this doesn't seem easier LOL
any ideas if there is a Windows service that isn't running that is blocking my PC?

thanks again!

Randy
09-09-2016, 06:56 AM   #12

thanks everyone! I decided to do it manually via USB stick. is there a main folder called "photos" on the Mac similar to windows?
after 20 years on a PC this doesn't seem easier LOL
any ideas if there is a Windows service that isn't running that is blocking my PC?

thanks again!

Randy
Launch the Photos app and then "import" the photos from the USB stick location which should show up as an option in the window. Alternately, you could easily copy the folder of images from your USB stick to the Mac by dragging and dropping to the Mac desktop. Then, you can import the pics into the Photos app from there in order to view them.
09-09-2016, 07:02 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chris359 Quote
Launch the Photos app and then "import" the photos from the USB stick location which should show up as an option in the window. Alternately, you could easily copy the folder of images from your USB stick to the Mac by dragging and dropping to the Mac desktop. Then, you can import the pics into the Photos app from there in order to view them.
hello and thank you
what is the default folder that photos go in when imported into the mac?
also, how do you "select all" (I think it is alt a on windows machine) with a mac so I can copy and paste from the USB key?

Randy
09-09-2016, 07:15 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

By default Photos will copy imported files to the Photos Library. (HD/Users/User/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary) I have mine set up on an external hard drive. The photos are hidden within this package. You can right click and Show Package Contents to see the folder structure and the files are stored in Master. Do not move anything in this package

If you go into Photos preferences you can change the preference to not copy the photos. This will created a referenced library instead. You can then set up whatever folder structure you want. The only problem is that if you move a file Photos will lose track of it until you tell it where it was moved to.
Attached Images

09-09-2016, 09:00 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
By default Photos will copy imported files to the Photos Library. (HD/Users/User/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary) I have mine set up on an external hard drive. The photos are hidden within this package. You can right click and Show Package Contents to see the folder structure and the files are stored in Master. Do not move anything in this package

If you go into Photos preferences you can change the preference to not copy the photos. This will created a referenced library instead. You can then set up whatever folder structure you want. The only problem is that if you move a file Photos will lose track of it until you tell it where it was moved to.
my wife does mostly copy photos from the Internet onto word docs (openoffice) how does she "steer" to the photos folder with ease like windows?

thank you all for your patience!

Randy