Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2016, 03:51 AM   #1
Forum Member

K1 Support on Linux

I'm contemplating switching over to Linux as my Mac Pro is getting long in the tooth.

Does anyone know if either Digikam or Darktable support the K1? I'm thinking mainly for DAM duties although if Darktable supports editing for K1 that would be great. I understand that RAWTherapee supports the K1 but is an editor only.

Thank you!

09-15-2016, 05:19 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
What Mac Pro do you have? If it's an Intel, you should be able to download Darktable and try it out yourself. According to the website, the latest version has base support for the K-1, but it is not listed as fully supported with regard to white balance and other settings yet:

Last edited by antipattern; 09-15-2016 at 05:22 AM. Reason: URLs messed up
09-15-2016, 05:36 AM - 2 Likes   #3

Photos: Gallery
Hi, I'm the guy that worked on some K-1 support in darktable

Basic support is ready is the last release, but since my K-1 is now in repairs, I cannot finish the noise profiles yet..

What is not going to work soon, sadly, is multi white balance and pixel shift as these requires significant changes in the data processing workflow.
09-15-2016, 08:01 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you both for the information! @Mazhe I hope you get your K1 back soon!

09-15-2016, 08:45 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Darktable handles DNGs from any camera. As mentioned, it takes time for the camera-specific formats and profiles to catch up. There are alternatives available for processing pixel-shifted files on linux.
09-15-2016, 08:54 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Darktable handles DNGs from any camera. As mentioned, it takes time for the camera-specific formats and profiles to catch up. There are alternatives available for processing pixel-shifted files on linux.

What alternatives are available?
09-15-2016, 09:40 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
There's a patched dcraw version project on github, but you need knowledge on source code compilation to be able to use it... I'm not sure a lot of projects know to to assemble a PS image: it seems to rely on multi-image DNG files (something that was originally done to store multiple exposure for HDR processing) and some auxiliary information for pixels that moved.

09-15-2016, 11:48 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax's latest DCU software also runs on the latest Wine builds on linux. It isn't perfectly stable but it allows you to export a 16-bit pixel-shifted tiff that you can play with in your editor of choice.
09-15-2016, 01:05 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you, gentlemen
09-15-2016, 03:34 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by auricle Quote
I'm contemplating switching over to Linux as my Mac Pro is getting long in the tooth.

Does anyone know if either Digikam or Darktable support the K1? I'm thinking mainly for DAM duties although if Darktable supports editing for K1 that would be great. I understand that RAWTherapee supports the K1 but is an editor only.

Thank you!
I have submitted profiled denoise data for the K-1 to the darktable project, hopefully it will be seen in a release soon.

Cheers,
Terry
09-20-2016, 10:37 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mazhe Quote
Basic support is ready is the last release, but since my K-1 is now in repairs, I cannot finish the noise profiles yet..
Will you be working on a colour profile for the K-1 as well?

I don't think the profile embedded in K-1 DNG files is optimal and it would be great to have alternatives. Sadly, so far Capture One is not offering any alternatives for now and my time to create my own has been very limited.

BTW, there is a binary download for dcrawps for Windows, in case someone wants to play with it.
09-22-2016, 02:35 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Will you be working on a colour profile for the K-1 as well?

I don't think the profile embedded in K-1 DNG files is optimal and it would be great to have alternatives. Sadly, so far Capture One is not offering any alternatives for now and my time to create my own has been very limited.

BTW, there is a binary download for dcrawps for Windows, in case someone wants to play with it.
I haven't thought about the colour profile. I might have to have a look at what's required.
I can recommend dcrawps to any who haven't used it.

Cheers,
Terry
11-07-2016, 08:13 AM   #13

Ingo Weyrich is currently working on pixelshift support in RawTherapee. Do join and say hi/show interest there if you like - Pixls.us is a nice site and community focused on opensource photo processing.