Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2016, 02:04 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Monitor Callibration devices

Thinking about buying a monitor calibration device. Trying to decide between the Xrite i1 displary pro or Xrite Color Munki.
Any information would be greatly appreciated. If you have either one of these, please share your thoughts.

Thank you

09-17-2016, 02:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I bought a used, two generations old, Pro 3 for $50USD. I've heard numerous reports of support being suspended once the newer model comes out and so I didn't expect any. I first tried the included software, but was never quite sure it was doing it properly. I then switched to using DisplayCal (open source) for the software and so far have been more confident in it. I cant' say much in the way of specifics. I'm visually impaired and not great with colours. Thats why I got it in the first place--to attempt to eliminate some human error. I certainly can't afford a new calibration device/software.

What i can say is that the Pro 3 software seemed inconsistent. It seemed to change the colours each time I calibrated. This included when I did it several times in a row. DIsplayCal seemed to work fine the first time

Sorry I can't offer more.
09-17-2016, 05:50 PM   #3
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by giselag Quote
Thinking about buying a monitor calibration device. Trying to decide between the Xrite i1 displary pro or Xrite Color Munki.
Any information would be greatly appreciated. If you have either one of these, please share your thoughts.

Thank you
I've been using this X-Rite ColorMunki Photo Color Management Solution CMUNPH B&H Colormunki unit for about four years. I originally purchased this one to capture monitor and printer calibration in one though I've yet to buy a 'proper' photo printer to use that part of it's capability.

I have used the monitor calibration on different screen, currently I use 2 x LG 27" monitors that are 98% Adobe RGB and have found the software and hardware works as advertised. The colours seem accurate and I have more confidence in colour accuracy since I started using the Color Munki. The biigest colour shift was after the first calibration and have noticed the colour consistency when I maintain the type of light under which I'm processing. Usually I avoid have sunlight coming in when I do PP, however if I want that light I can run the calibration too to adjust to the new luminosity and temperature and not be concerned about off colours and an overly brightened image.

It's really a plug and play process out of the box. I've not used other systems to compare and as you've selected two later X-rite models than the one I use I'd suggest they will be similar in operation and ease of use. Hopefully someone with experience with the i1 and new Color Munki will be able to be provide feedback soon.

Tas
09-17-2016, 07:09 PM   #4

I was just looking into these as well. What makes you want to go after one of those two as opposed to datacolor spyder5?

09-17-2016, 08:09 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

X-Rite, now also having GretagMacbeth as part of its technology portfolio, has been doing the monitor calibration systems for about 15 or so years now and are always at the top of the class. Datacolor is still the newer player to the game. I use the ColorMunki and have used the i1 Pro. Both are great. The i1 Display is also great, and at a great value. If you want to do more than monitor profiling, you will need more than the i1 Display.

One of the nice things about the ColorMunki is that it will do the monitor AND also do a projector, plus output device profiling. It also takes into account ambient light, though you should not have direct sunlight in your editing environment.

Regards,
09-18-2016, 04:26 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Greenneck Quote
I was just looking into these as well. What makes you want to go after one of those two as opposed to datacolor spyder5?

I read better reviews online from Xrite products and I have a friend who uses the color munki. I haven't heard from anyone who has used an i1 display pro yet.
09-20-2016, 09:06 AM   #7
Pentaxian

X-rite has the most idiotic naming scheme for their products in the history of product name schemes perhaps only rivaled by the recent Sony mount naming revision.

It is not straightforward to know which product one is talking about because the naming is so messed up.

But their hardware tends to be the best as well. The Spyder models typically have a higher inter-device variability, essentially defeating the idea of an absolute calibration.

09-20-2016, 09:16 AM   #8

I1 pro and colormunky have the same hardware only different software, the colormunky one is more basic and slower.
I have the colormunky, works absolutely fine and is accurate, what I see is what I get from the printing lab.
If you don't have a studio and need to constantly tune multiple monitors where time can become an issue and the process annoying, go for colormunky.
09-20-2016, 12:40 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Neo_ Quote
I1 pro and colormunky have the same hardware only different software
Please note, ColorMunki and i1 Pro are NOT the same device, across the board, with different software. The Colormunki Smile is a monitor calibrator only, lowest cost, next is the ColorMunki Display, a better monitor calibrator which IS the same as the i1 Display Pro, with different software and finally ColorMunki Photo which does the monitor, projector and printer. See the link for these:

ColorMunki Solutions. Simply. Amazing.

The i1 group offers the i1 Display, i1 Pro Basic 2 i1 Pro Photo 2, i1 iSis 2 (unfortunate name considering the current world climate, though no relationship), i1 iO and i1 Publish.. The devices are different, as is the software. See the link below:

i1 Professional Calibration Solutions; X-Rite

There are different price points for different needs. X-Rite has the most diverse offerings and really, they all work, and do so well.

FYI, I work closely with the company.

Regards,
09-20-2016, 01:01 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
the ColorMunki Display, a better monitor calibrator which IS the same as the i1 Display Pro, with different software
Yep, this.
I have the Colormunky Display sitting on my desk.
09-25-2016, 09:57 PM   #11
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you're still looking for a ColorMunki

Thank you
G'day again, I received a 'Dealzone' email from B&H for the ColorMunki Display. A nice saving if you've not already picked something up.

Deal Zone, Deal of the Day at B&H

Tas
10-12-2016, 07:21 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
G'day again, I received a 'Dealzone' email from B&H for the ColorMunki Display. A nice saving if you've not already picked something up.

Deal Zone, Deal of the Day at B&H

Tas

Thanks for the info, but I missed the deal deadline. I signed up for the email for deal zone so hopefully it will go back on sale soon.

Thank you
10-16-2016, 08:59 AM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Monitor Calibration devices
I'm a i1Display Pro user, does the job without dramas, even to the point of reminding me as to when it needs done (with me mines set to usually monthly).

I colour manage my process for colour critical stuff, right from image capture, by using the Colorchecker Passport, which is just seamless the LR.
11-24-2016, 04:48 PM   #14
Veteran Member

unless you are hyper critical, save your money and buy a used one. I have an old i1display and it works really well and go for next to nothing.

randy