Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2016, 11:38 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am following this tutorial, but there is one step that does not work for me

I am trying to follow this tutorial using one of my own photos in DNG. I can do all the steps but when I reach 2:42 in the video I am asked to choose Filter/ Distort and Wave. For some unknown reason, I am not able to select Distort in my Filter section. I can see all the others but not 'Distort'. I believe I followed all the steps up to that point. How come I am not able to distort my reflection layer. Thanks in advance for the help with this:

09-25-2016, 11:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Is your version of PS the same as the one in the video?

Quite often new tools are added which each release version so if your version is older then you may not have that tool available.
09-25-2016, 12:34 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I am fairly certain the tutorial is using Photoshop CC. Are you? I have Photoshop CS6 and under Filter, Distort is underneath Blur in the submenu.
09-25-2016, 03:49 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
DNG files are 16 bits/channel and the distort filter works only for 8 bits/channel. Go to Image, Mode and click on 8 Bits/channel. The image in the tutorial is probably already at 8 bits.

09-25-2016, 11:27 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mot11 Quote
DNG files are 16 bits/channel and the distort filter works only for 8 bits/channel. Go to Image, Mode and click on 8 Bits/channel. The image in the tutorial is probably already at 8 bits.
That must be the problem i think. I will try it in the afternoon and let you know if it works... thanks a lot
09-26-2016, 12:09 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mot11 Quote
True: 16 bit DNG files will not allow Distort function. However, not all DNG files are 16 bits; they can be 8 bit straight out of the camera. When in the RAW window you can opt for 8 or 16 bit in the workflow window just below the image.
09-27-2016, 08:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't use photoshop enough, but I would probably save a secondary copy if you end up changing your image to 8-bits. I am assuming the distortion is for the water, and you may want to do it separately and then paste in the result as a layer that you can mask and blend with your original 16-bit file. It isn't perfect, but you can at least mostly keep 16-bit image if there is any other processing to do.