Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
fast stone is excellent for WIN,unfortunately nothing like that for Mac

10-10-2016, 01:18 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dabola Quote
As long as you have FastStone Viewer it's not neccessary to install FastStone Photo Resizer or..?
For years I've been using FS Viewer to view and simple batch process my jpeg's for web + +.

Just select one or several picture and press F3 and you will get up the same tools as Photo Resizer:

By "Settings" plus "Advanced Options" you'll find all the ordinary Parameters ++ to change.
As TomTom mention; selecting the optimal filter (algorithm) for resampling are essential.
As long as we're discussing optimal settings for web; try at least "Bicubic Sharper" as an
alternative to default "Lanczoz3".

Finally you can save all your spesific settings optimal for web transformations etc etc.
This is the same for both programs. Or have I missed something?
What is the difference between those two algorithms ? I.E.: when would you use one vs. the other?
Thanks!
10-10-2016, 08:17 PM   #18
Veteran Member

After 20 years in Photography I found a free software called Fast Image Resizer. It will batch resize as well as single photos to any size you desire - standard default sizes or one of your very own. The Software is highly customizable.
From a 16 MB JPEG to just say 360 Kb I find no noticeable loss in photo quality, such is its performance. Other formats are also supported.
There is absolutely no malware, Ads or nagging Pop Ups.
Regards.
camp: Thornhill, Ontario.
10-11-2016, 01:00 AM   #19
Forum Member

jpzk, I am definetely not the right person to explain the differences between "Bicubic Sharper", "Lanczoz3" and all the other algorithms . But out of experiences I have learned that "Bicubic /Bicubic Sharper" gives a better result than the default "Lanczoz3" when I reduce the image size - for web etc. Expecially for portraits and similar soft images. "B.Sharper" takes better care of all the details.

But this is not the case if you are an architect student and most of the lines are stright. Or if your picture already has been sharpened.

Photoshops default algorithm when you select File> Save for Web> is "Bicubic" . I am not 100% sure but I think Bicubic = Bicubic Sharper when you reduce the size.

Last edited by Dabola; 10-11-2016 at 02:25 AM.