Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-08-2016, 02:13 PM   #1

Why does a photo shot using AV or TV show up in Adobe Bridge as shot in Auto?

Hi, I just bought a K-70 this summer and took a basic digital photography course. I was very embarrassed when the teacher looked at my photos and the metadata in one of the Adobe products showed my photos had all been shot using Auto settings when we were supposed to be using AV. Today I took some photos and know that I used AV and TV settings but when I got home and viewed the metadata in Adobe Bridge CS4 they all showed up as having been shot using Auto even though when I view the photos on the camera's screen it definitely shows that AV or TV were used. Admittedly not a huge problem but it would be nice to solve it. Does anybody have a clue what is going on here? Thanks. Joyce Keay

10-08-2016, 03:16 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Download bridge CC and see if that helps (it's a free download) with better exif definitions

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-08-2016, 03:48 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
try right click a single image, (in your file manager), go to properties>image or which ever it is in your distro and that will read the exif as it is.

the teacher might be embarrassed the teacher should look further
10-08-2016, 04:05 PM   #4
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just checked two (Raw) photo's taken last week, and my K-5 photo show up as "manual" and "aperture priority," while my K-x photo shows it as "auto" and "aperture priority"--these w/ PS CS2 (Bridge). Actually I would have thought aperture priority (AV) is an auto mode, as opposed to setting aperture and time (M)--but semantics aside, in both cases it is identified as aperture priority.

10-08-2016, 04:20 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

yes AV ie an auto mode or semi auto as the persons has the choice of what aperture setting they want to use
10-08-2016, 04:57 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
As a cross check, even Microsoft "Photo Gallery" will read out that setting, under File - Properties - Details. Down the page in the Advanced Photo section it will say Manual, Normal, Aperture priority, or Shutter priority. The "normal" corresponds to auto, as the word auto isn't used in the EXIF definitions.
The actual data is just a number from 0 to 9, and it is up to the reading program to attach a name to it.

Last edited by clicksworth; 10-08-2016 at 05:22 PM.
10-08-2016, 09:31 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The k-70 is fairly new, is it using a newer exif than that software fully understands?

10-08-2016, 09:45 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
Use TAv and spin the teacher right out.

These days, that's my goto auto mode.
10-09-2016, 12:02 AM   #9
Veteran Member

try the free exiftool from phil harvey it is the reference for exif data ExifTool by Phil Harvey
10-09-2016, 05:00 AM   #10

Using all or some of the auto features your camera offers will enable you to concentrate on composition, image quality and timing. Exposure is easy to automate, these three factors, not so much. Most of your photography will be judged by the end result, not the amount of automation used to produce it.
10-09-2016, 05:01 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wsteffey Quote
Using all or some of the auto features your camera offers will enable you to concentrate on composition, image quality and timing. Exposure is easy to automate, these three factors, not so much. Most of your photography will be judged by the end result, not the amount of automation used to produce it.
Reasonable - but the assignment was to use Av mode as I read it.
10-09-2016, 11:57 AM   #12
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Somewhat off topic, but I don't agree about using fully auto mode--or even partially auto mode.
-- Fully auto mode avoids thinking out decsisons about how much motion blur is desirable, DOF, etc., and the results of making said decisons.
-- And even using AV, etc. (partially auto) one does not fully understand how the exposure spot/center weighted/matrix metering relates to the scene and its distribution of light and dark areas, etc. [Knowing this one later uses ev adjustment while still using AV, etc.]
-- It is this immediate feedback that the digital camera can provide--years of learning/experience with film can be achieved in weeks with digital. This actually is IMO one of the two or three biggest changes/benefits of digital.
10-10-2016, 06:18 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

My guess on what went wrong - you (and your teacher) were looking at the "Exposure Mode" field and not the "Exposure Program" field. Exposure Program is where Av, Tv, M, etc. lives. Exposure Mode reports "Auto" if the camera decided on the exposure for you, or "Manual" if you decided on the exposure in some way (either shooting in Manual mode or by setting an exposure bias in Av or Tv or other mode), or "Auto Bracket" if you the camera was bracketing for you.

If so, the solution in Adobe Bridge is to go to Edit > Preferences > Metada and make sure Exposure Program is checked.
10-10-2016, 08:43 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
My guess on what went wrong - you (and your teacher) were looking at the "Exposure Mode" field and not the "Exposure Program" field. Exposure Program is where Av, Tv, M, etc. lives. Exposure Mode reports "Auto" if the camera decided on the exposure for you, or "Manual" if you decided on the exposure in some way (either shooting in Manual mode or by setting an exposure bias in Av or Tv or other mode), or "Auto Bracket" if you the camera was bracketing for you.

If so, the solution in Adobe Bridge is to go to Edit > Preferences > Metada and make sure Exposure Program is checked.
That's how it works in Bridge CC 2015...the program and mode are off by default. "M" on the dial would be "manual" in both fields.
10-10-2016, 01:50 PM   #15

Original Poster
Thank you all for your responses

Thank you all for your responses. I finally heard from the teacher who acknowledged that AV and TV can be read by Adobe software as Auto Mode. I don't know if he knew that when he was reviewing my photos in class. At the time it felt as though he was accusing me of cheating by using the completely Auto mode. It was very embarrassing.