Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
10-15-2016, 04:52 AM   #1

Lightroom Editing - Long Delay on getting clear images

I was wondering if anyone else has seen this. I recently moved from a K-5 to K-70 and noticed that the images just looked blurry zoomed-in in LR-CC. I am shooting with DNG raw. My typical workflow is using the compare view and zooming in to 1:1 to compare the sharpness of similar shots. In comparing K-5 images with LR, it would pop up "Loading..." and when it disappears the image changes from blurred to sharp(er). In comparing K-70 images with LR, when the "Loading..." disappears, the images are a little sharper, but still a bit blurry. But if I wait a few moments, it get's replaced again with a much sharper image. LR gave the impression it was done extracting the image, but it was only halfway done. I am wondering if it is due to the higher resolution images.

Not knowing that it takes longer to get a clear image I was left disappointed with the K-70 images. Was thinking that either the camera had problems focusing, or maybe the lens was not good enough for the higher resolution of the camera. Then I saw that the K-70 was not yet supported by LR, so I thought that might be the issue. Next I installed the Digital camera utility which crashes often on my Mac. It gave better images (though over-sharpened) and again made me wonder if LR is the problem.

Now I wonder how many images I may have thrown away just because I didn't know to slow down.

Last edited by PhotoNomad0; 10-15-2016 at 04:54 AM. Reason: clarity
10-15-2016, 05:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
yes the bigger files take longer to load. you may be able to increase camera raw cache size and that may make it load faster. my k-3 images take longer to load than those of my old nikon d200, which my daughter uses.
10-15-2016, 05:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stepping up from the 16MP K-5 to the 24MP K-3 did the same for me, and as far as I can tell the rendering of the DNG depends solely upon the CPU - I do not think that the GPU does any of the lifting. So the only answer is a computer with higher CPU clock speeds*.

* I'm not sure if adding CPU cores will help, but maybe.
10-15-2016, 06:53 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You may want to add memory, and perhaps a faster hard drive (ssd?) as well. Knowing more about the specs of your computer would help.

10-15-2016, 07:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Lightroom shows first the small embedded jpg, while rendering its own from the raw - this takes more time with bigger sensors.
Second, there is no proprocessing of the raws, you've to apply clearness, and contrast during the development process.
10-15-2016, 08:20 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here is a video on this

10-15-2016, 08:30 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You might also check your import pre-set. This can be camera specific so you might have settings with the k-5 import that you did not transfer to the k-70. For example the "build previews" setting might be different. Just a thought. As noted above the larger files do take a bit longer.

10-15-2016, 12:55 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I've started checking "build 1:1 previews" after I import. Takes a while, but when it's done it makes going through the photos much faster.
10-15-2016, 02:03 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips everyone. I will try the 1:1 preview option.

But the key frustrating thing here is that when LR removes the "Loading..." message, it is only half done rendering a fully detailed image. This seems like a LR bug to me. LR is tricking us into thinking it is done.

Last edited by PhotoNomad0; 10-15-2016 at 05:07 PM. Reason: clarity
10-15-2016, 08:17 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I changed my workflow with Nomacs, it is a Free software to see raws Quickly. When I arrived home I copy and paste the sd files into the computer, than open them with nomacs and I see very very fast with 0 delay , I delete the bad pictures fast . This procesos only need the keyboard arrows for select and zooming image. Nomacs also allow to compare images on a better way than lightroom. Now I import to lightroom only the selected with nomacs images. I shoot widlife in A day I can arrive with 1k pictures and after the nomacs I import 150 or so to lightroom knowing previously wich are the best. It is a Huge time saving.
Sorry bad english.
10-16-2016, 04:12 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pasorro Quote
I changed my workflow with Nomacs, it is a Free software to see raws Quickly. When I arrived home I copy and paste the sd files into the computer, than open them with nomacs and I see very very fast with 0 delay , I delete the bad pictures fast . This procesos only need the keyboard arrows for select and zooming image. Nomacs also allow to compare images on a better way than lightroom. Now I import to lightroom only the selected with nomacs images. I shoot widlife in A day I can arrive with 1k pictures and after the nomacs I import 150 or so to lightroom knowing previously wich are the best. It is a Huge time saving.
Sorry bad english.
Thanks for the suggestion - I will look into Nomacs. Hopefully it will support the newer Pentax K-70.
10-19-2016, 12:21 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Accurate information about improving Lightroom performance

QuoteOriginally posted by macman24054 Quote
Please, please, please check out The Lightroom Queen (Articles) - you'll find that much of the content of this video is contra-indicated ! My experience has been that Victoria Bampton knows what she's talking about - the information she provides is accurate and worth following.
10-19-2016, 11:23 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vrphoto Quote
Please, please, please check out The Lightroom Queen (Articles) - you'll find that much of the content of this video is contra-indicated ! My experience has been that Victoria Bampton knows what she's talking about - the information she provides is accurate and worth following.
I have been watching his content for about 3 years and I have not once found bad information on his channel. And there are very few I can actually say that about.
10-20-2016, 05:55 AM   #14
Veteran Member

She is good! At some point I think she was part of a Facebook group, but may have left. If you have Facebook "Lightroom help group" is a large group with 5-6 moderators who answer questions (I believe she may have started it and then left due to time constraints) it's Incredible source of information because it's many experts answering questions, some of the technical expertise is amazing. She does occasionally came back -I think she may have had some health issues. (or I could be confused with someone else)

Last edited by Murfy; 10-20-2016 at 12:37 PM.
10-20-2016, 09:59 AM   #15

Original Poster
Thanks - I'll check that out. I found that turning on 1:1 previews and expanding the maximum size for previews didn't help a whole lot. When you zoom in on an image it still seems to do a slow re-render. This is on a MacBook Pro and video acceleration is turned on. It already has an SSD. So the long wait for 1:1 rendering on importing wasn't worth it.

Last edited by PhotoNomad0; 10-20-2016 at 10:46 AM. Reason: clarity