Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2016, 09:39 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
which monitor do you use ?

... résolution, ratio (16/9, 16/10...), ips/Tn.... auto-calibration... Eizo, NEC, Asus....
Do you think it's proper or sufficient to work your pictures ?

10-23-2016, 10:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I use a 16:10 panel because I prefer the extra vertical space for working with documents and writing code. 16:9 is great for movies and games, in my opinion, but I find it less useful for the types of work and hobbies that I do.

Personally I have an IPS panel but I don't know if they are the best still. A few years ago they were hard to beat (except for gaming purposes where TN panels shine due to very fast response times).

Last edited by lightbox; 10-23-2016 at 10:46 PM.
10-23-2016, 11:04 PM   #3

I use a 27 inch Benq GW2765 at 16:9 and am very pleased with it. It runs at 2560 x 1440 and is custom color calibrated. It's quite useful for LR, PS and all MS profucts with 2 nearly full screens snapped side by side in W10. Plenty of screen real estate to multi-task...
10-24-2016, 12:08 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I'm on the low cost - big screen - not too high resolution with Samsung S27E390 (27", 16:9, 1920x1080) and it replaced Dell's 24" monitor which was in fact fine for 3D CAD use, but with image editing I found that with my vision the larger monitor just works better for me. Funny as the given resolution is in fact only about 2 Megapixels and I'm working with 20 and 24 megapixel images (when the process starts with RAW from camera) but most of the images I process end up on web where it gets crunched to maybe max 2048 pixels in width... Anyway, the 16:9 ratio works fine for me as the extra width leaves enough room for the menus and tools on left and right from the image... If I was working in full screen mode with keyboard shortcuts, I might wish for a different width/height ratio...

10-24-2016, 12:44 AM   #5
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

27" Asus 16:9 IPS 2560x1440 calibrated with an X-rite thingamabob. It made a world of difference from my old 24" crappy HP monitor - more space to work on, bright, clear, sharp, and true colours. Had I had more space I would buy another one.

At work I have dual Samsung IPS screens with the same specs as my Asus. Also very nice panels.
10-24-2016, 02:37 AM - 1 Like   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I use a Hewlett Packard HP Envy 17" laptop and mostly rely on its own screen, though I do have a Hewlett Packard Pavilion 23xi monitor I occasionally use. In both cases - and I think this is the most important part - I use an X-Rite ColorMunki Display calibration tool to correct and normalise the colour, contrast and luminance. That has made a huge difference to the accuracy of my edits. For general hobbyist use, I don't think you need a particularly fancy monitor to view and edit photos, but profile calibration is important if you value accuracy.
10-24-2016, 04:50 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bear in mind that TN technology monitors are the least expensive and have the fastest response times, but can't produce the wide range of colors that VA and IPS technology monitors can. I opted for a BenQ GW2255 VA monitor. It can display 8bit color gamut, much better than my previous TN monitor, and has better contrast ratio than IPS monitors. Some prefer IPS due to even wider color gamut at the expense of contrast ratio. I'm very happy with the 22" BenQ, and it was very reasonably priced. Response time is fine, but not really important to me most times. It has a finer dot pitch than larger versions and the imaging is fantastic.

10-24-2016, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gedeon Quote
... résolution, ratio (16/9, 16/10...), ips/Tn.... auto-calibration... Eizo, NEC, Asus....
Do you think it's proper or sufficient to work your pictures ?
You are mentioning Eizo and NEC in the list of monitors. Eizo is a pro level monitor with pro level pricing.

I wanted a new monitor. The "high end" monitors were out of my price range so I went looking for an alternative. I am coming from a 24" Dell LCD which is still working but I wanted something a little bigger and an LED panel. I had good experience with Benq projectors from the past so I thought I would give them a try. Like @DavidParis, I bought the 27" Benq, from B&H. It was a good monitor while it worked. The first one broke down after a couple of months of light use. I contacted Benq and they issued an RMA and promptly sent me a replacement which turned out to be a refurb with a scratched up outer frame. I thought I would go along with the replacement as the image was fine. Well after another two or so weeks, the replacement stopped working too. At that point I was furious. I sent them an email and demanded my money back. As if they care, they ignored me for a week of so. So one day I come home and there is a big box sitting in front of my door, a UPS delivery. It tuned out to be a brand spanking new 32" Benq monitor. I guess they felt bad or guilty or both or just did not want any bad publicity. Boy was I happy. That was a year ago and 32" is still working great and I cannot get over how big of a canvas I have to work with when I am doing Photoshop or other work on my computer. BTW, I use my Macbook Pro to drive the Benq monitor at full resolution with no issues. On the road I use the laptop monitor which is very accurate too. I have calibrated the Benq with a Macbeth i1 calibrator and the colors are fairly accurate. Benq just announced a very high end monitor with 100% sRGB and 99% or so Adobe RGB coverage. I don't know that price but it must be up there.

Sorry for the rant. Best of luck with your search. I would be curious as to what you end up choosing and why.
10-24-2016, 09:44 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

16:9 27" Apple HD Cinema Display
11-07-2016, 09:49 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I'm using a 23 inch LG IPS with a 16:9 screen. I keep it calibrated with a Spyder 4. I've been quite happy with it. It's also affordable, with the newer version currently coming in at under $200.When I bought it a few years ago, I paid around $250 at Best Buy, still a reasonable price. I like to see a monitor before I buy. Our local Best Buy had a whole wall of monitors and this one along with a Dell really stood out from the rest. I went price shopping for a week or 2, I don't remember and Best Buy put the LG's on sale. At that time, it was the lowest price I found on an IPS monitor in the 23-24 inch size. Since then, there have been increased demand for IPS and 4K high quality monitors so there is a lot more competition and much better prices. Not long ago, you couldn't touch one for under $500.
11-07-2016, 10:07 AM   #11
Banned

Fujitsu-p27t 27 inch with 2560x1440 pixels. Great screen.
11-12-2016, 01:29 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DEC VT-220

Chris
11-12-2016, 05:48 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I should look into getting a proper monitor and calibrator.
Using a 27" 16:9 Samsung TN for displaying "task manager-performance" and a 40" Samsung 2160p TV running at 60Hz. The amount of real-estate and the resolution are pretty darn good at about 4' away from it.
11-12-2016, 06:28 PM   #14
Forum Member

Packard Bell Viseo 230ws (23") 1920X1080 "recommended"! ...is that ok?
I could do with two really, I might invest in another one so I can do dual monitor stuff, especially useful for my music software as well as Photoshop.
11-16-2016, 12:12 PM   #15

Original Poster
Do you think a retina (=glossy) screen from apple, is a suitable product for working on pictures ? Or it's just for multimedia, internet, games, etc...