Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-26-2016, 04:34 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Simple PP software for work

I am the QC manager at a machine shop and need to take photos of our products from time to time for record keeping purposes. We've been using cell phones but the lighting is bad in here and the tools are usually shiny. So it messes with the exposure pretty bad. Plus we just can't get the detail we need with a cell phone. I've decided to use my k3 and a small light box but I'll need a very basic straightforward program to edit the pictures with. Just something to crop and adjust the exposure. Preferably free. Any suggestions?

Thanks

10-26-2016, 04:43 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

What operating system are you using at work? Windows 10's built-in Photos app does exactly what you've described and it's very easy to use...
10-26-2016, 05:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Microsoft Office, which includes applications like Word and Excel, also comes with Picture Manager, which does what you're describing.
10-26-2016, 05:55 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
What operating system are you using at work? Windows 10's built-in Photos app does exactly what you've described and it's very easy to use...
Unfortunately, we have windows 7 professional. So that won't be an option.

---------- Post added 10-26-16 at 05:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Microsoft Office, which includes applications like Word and Excel, also comes with Picture Manager, which does what you're describing.
I'll check to see what's on the pc. I've only seen picture viewer but I'll look again.

10-26-2016, 05:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use paint.net 90% of the time. It's easy to use and has a lot of great features.
Also totally free and open source.
Paint.NET - Free Software for Digital Photo Editing
10-26-2016, 06:01 AM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Another dyemention Quote
Unfortunately, we have windows 7 professional. So that won't be an option.
OK, try an application called Polarr Photo Editor - it's excellent. There are free and paid versions - you only need the free one.
10-26-2016, 06:08 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Polarr is good but Pixlr is more intuitive in my opinion. If you don't need to edit raw files try Pixlr. I managed with it for over a year on a chrome book.

10-26-2016, 06:15 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you have Picasa already, I find it easy to use and easy to file images away into folders. I have read that it is no longer supported but it is still working fine on my pc. You may be able to download it still, I don't know. I'm not good with this sort of thing which is why I use Picasa, it's so easy to use. Windows photo gallery was supplied with my pc and I use it sometimes but it is not as intuitive.
10-26-2016, 06:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Another dyemention Quote
I'll check to see what's on the pc. I've only seen picture viewer but I'll look again.
I forgot to mention that Picture Manager is in a sub-folder of Microsoft Office. On the Start menu, first click the folder called Microsoft Office; second: click the folder called Microsoft Office Tools. This will show a short list of applications that includes Picture Manager.

Picture Manager also enables you to adjust brightness, contrast, midtone, hue, and saturation.
10-26-2016, 08:46 AM   #10
Pentaxian

FastStone Image Viewer, Screen Capture, Photo Resizer ... is popular and easy. Move your mouse to the edges of the frame for the different menus (editing is on the left).
10-26-2016, 09:36 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I recommend Rawtherapee... It seems that some people consider it to have a difficult learning curve, but that wasn't my experience, especially when just for basic raw or jpeg batch edits... It's a great open source option for this kind of thing imho... 64-bit or 32-bit
10-26-2016, 09:45 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Another vote for FastStone, free and has more controls if you need them. Reads RAW and JPG. I've used this software for many years and I have to say it's never corrupted any of my files/photos.

I detest Windows or Office editors. Where you have less control of your photos.
10-26-2016, 09:51 AM   #13
Veteran Member

GIMP is free and can do most things that Photoshop can do.
10-26-2016, 09:56 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

But GIMP has a higher learning curve.

FastStone can do most things photoshop can do too and it's also free. It has gotten better over the years. In that it can now do layers.

FastStone Image Viewer - Powerful and Intuitive Photo Viewer, Editor and Batch Converter
10-26-2016, 10:11 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If fast and easy to use everywhere is important, than you should consider an iPad or iPad Mini (good enough display even if not Retina) and the App Snapseed.

Very easy to use, really good results and it even supports local adjustments and raw file editing if I remember correctly.