Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2016, 12:38 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
So, basically it's back to the pre-Aperture era of flint knives and bear skins. No thanks.
Yep, DT is for real men(and women) only . You can run back to OSX and LR now. I can't even believe we're having this discussion! You are judging a raw converter on how it moves files around? I never understood that part of Adobe's design (nor the repeated DNG-writing part).

I prefer to leave the file organization to Damon Lynch's RPD which at least does an automated backup and write verification while importing from the memory-card and creating the structure based on camera model used, year and jobtitle/date. I'll leave it up to my DAM (Digikam) software to index that in a database, neat and fast but without touching the files themselves. You prefer the all-in-one-with-nothing-done-particularly-well approach which Adobe has been promoting for software lock-in reasons, well that's fine as well. You're the one who said he wanted a move to Linux and if the lack of LR alternatives (in your eyes) is preventing that, I'd consider that your loss.You have been successfully locked in to Apple and Adobe products, I would not stand for it personally.

10-30-2016, 06:28 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
Yep, DT is for real men(and women) only . You can run back to OSX and LR now. I can't even believe we're having this discussion! You are judging a raw converter on how it moves files around?
Well, there's the problem. I was under the impression that Darktable was much more than a "raw converter". I thought it was an integrated photo management-and-PP program like Aperture or Lightroom. That's the kind of program I am looking for. Does Linux not have one?

QuoteQuote:
You're the one who said he wanted a move to Linux and if the lack of LR alternatives (in your eyes) is preventing that, I'd consider that your loss.You have been successfully locked in to Apple and Adobe products, I would not stand for it personally.
I really don't know what you mean by "locked in". I didn't have any difficulty jumping from Aperture to Lightroom. Unless you mean that I've been "locked in" to programs that provide the convenience and functionality I want?
10-30-2016, 11:21 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
Well, there's the problem. I was under the impression that Darktable was much more than a "raw converter". I thought it was an integrated photo management-and-PP program like Aperture or Lightroom. That's the kind of program I am looking for. Does Linux not have one?
DT is exactly what you are looking for, "an integrated photo management-and-PP program" but it just happens to operate a bit smarter than either Aperture or Lightroom in that,rather than moving around files it uses a database to index them where they are. It is a slightly different concept but no less valid or useful, possibly somewhat safer.

Linux does not have an exact carbon copy of either Aperture or Lightroom. This is something we come across quite regularly, people who expect Linux to operate like either OSX or Windows and they expect to see the exact same applications. That's not gonna happen, the fact that things are different is just a fact of life. You either accept that or remain with OSX/Windows. Other option is you get some people together and set up a project to duplicate the exact functionality of a program you like and release it as open-source so others can benefit. If there isn't such an application yet, sure sign not enough people took an interest in duplicating.

Other DAM packges you might look at would include Digikam although I doubt it would fit your specs.
10-30-2016, 11:28 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Tony, you can install Linux for free without compromising your Mac installation. Look into a program called VirtualBox. You should be able to run Linux from within MacOS and see for yourself what all the fuss is about.

I run multiple copies of Linux myself from within Windows 10. You just need a modern CPU (preferably one that supports VT-x) and enough RAM to spare a few GB for the VM.

Last edited by lightbox; 10-30-2016 at 08:04 PM.