Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2016, 12:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Options for printed album creation

Every year I shoot a dance camp. The camp then keeps the photos and makes them available to the participants in a printed album. The group has used "My Publisher" for years and been happy with the results. Their software allows the user to lay out the album and send them the file to be printed. This year, that was not the case. It seems Shutterfly acquired My Publisher, and now the quality of the printed photos has suffered. Ironically, this year the quality of my photos was especially good, mostly shot FF, and the printed book was noticeably worse.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to a better quality album printer?

Last edited by GeneV; 10-31-2016 at 12:36 PM.
10-31-2016, 02:40 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've used Blurb for the last 5 years. Excellent quality but not cheap. A lot of printing quality is dependent on the paper used, and the better coated stock is more expensive. We have our yearbook (2000 copies) offset printed by Friesens in Altona, Manitoba, Canada. I know they also have a digital printer for lower volumes. You may want to inquire with them as the US Dollar is relatively strong against the Canadian.
10-31-2016, 05:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

MPIX also does photo books, but also are not cheap. I've never had an issue with the quality of prints of anything I've ordered from them yet. I would assume that their other print materials would be of similar satisfactory quality.
11-01-2016, 08:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. This is a very small run, and there may be few options. The cost with Shutterfly runs about $100 per copy. I don't know how that compares with these suggestions.

11-01-2016, 08:59 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gene, Too many variables. You need to get quotes from other printers. We pay about $50 per copy of a 9x12" hard bound all color 376 page book with an offset printer. But that excellent price is because of the quantity of 2000 copies. With Blurb, a digital printer like Shutterfly, for a 12x12" hard bound 48 page book, Iʻve paid about $70 for 20 copies with the medium quality grade paper. For first time users, they usually offer a 15-20% discount.
12-19-2016, 06:56 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have looked into this more, and found a great thread on DPreview discussing the various sites. Shutterfly (or other) Premium Photo Book: Printers and Printing Forum: Digital Photography Review. From my own looking, Blurb, mentioned by another poster here, has the advantage of integrating with Lightroom, which can also produce a PDF version of your book. Interestingly, in the reviews Adoramapix seems to be the hands down winner for photo quality and a reasonable price. Of course if you are doing some serious self publishing with a good many copies, the Adoramapix book prints on photo paper might not be practical.
12-19-2016, 10:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Blurb is a good option, but their LR integration is not as good as if you just use their tool independently (unless it has improved in the past year or two). The flexibility within Lightroom just isn't there.

I'm sorry to hear about My Publisher. They were one I liked better than Blurb (in all honesty) because they had some very professional options. I should have known something was up as I saw all sorts of Shutterfly and My Publisher coupons that looked suspiciously similar. Oh well. I'll have to go back to Blurb or check out some others.

12-19-2016, 06:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was disappointed, too. The past years produced a nice product, but this year, even after we sent it back for a redo, the product was not up to the standards of the person doing the layout or mine.
12-19-2016, 07:27 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sad to hear, I've had books done by Shutterfly that came out quite nice but they were pricey.