Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2008, 02:49 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
To see just how the reverse of Adobe's pricing methods work, for those of you that have any interest in spatial data manipulation, see just how Manifold GIS prices its products vs those of the big players. Manifold is an excellent professional quality product, the equal if not better than other packages that start around $2500 Aus.

Their price: $280 Aus. For the price this one very very capable package. At that price there is no need to even consider pirating...

QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
That's precisely what targets Adobe, Windows and all the software makers when pricing. The flaw in your reasoning is "10000 copies for €30 each than 100 copies for €300", indeed, it would be more like 200 copies at 30€ vs 100 copies at 300€.

Don't forget that the core market for Adobe is enterprise and professionals with much higher buying power, and a large majority not wanting to use hacked versions. (no support and threat for the assets of the enterprise)

This is precisely why Photoshop is priced at 1500€ vs 80€ for Elements in France, this is mass market strategy vs enterprise. Even if Elements is much simpler, people using it would be able to use Photoshop as well for most, instead Adobe chose to develop a second soft to enter the mass market without cutting revenue from the Enterprise.

The real thing that makes me sick is that 1$ = 1€ for Adobe (as with most software maker), even the 20% VAT doesn't explain the difference, and marketing wise, it's like calling a******les European customers.

Some Asian companies like Asus have changed making currency rates more realistic, but apparently American companies are still considering "Rest of the world" as a deep pocket.

07-31-2008, 09:16 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My problem with Lr2 is that it seems slower than 1.4 and the new brush tool is super sluggish. I just read a thread on Flickr that has a lot of people complaining about the speed. When I heard about the new improvements I was excited, but after trying it I will definitely be staying with Aperture.
08-01-2008, 03:58 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yep,

I'll head that way as well. Off on a tangent, profiling my laptop monitor made a huge difference to my processing and over all colour management. I'd go for Aperture and a colour management tool of some sort.

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
My problem with Lr2 is that it seems slower than 1.4 and the new brush tool is super sluggish. I just read a thread on Flickr that has a lot of people complaining about the speed. When I heard about the new improvements I was excited, but after trying it I will definitely be staying with Aperture.