Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2016, 09:25 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
.PEF format - any changes over the years?

I ask this question because I will soon be the (hopefully lucky) recipient of a first-generation Pentax DSLR (specifically an *istDS), which by its nature does not generate .DNG raw files. I did it in order to gain the benefits of TTL flash on digital.

This of course begged the question of whether Raw Therapee will digest .PEF files, and the answer as determined by experiment with my K-5 is a resounding yes, it will (as my single-in picture for today proves).

All well and good, but I am now asking the obvious - has there been any change to the .PEF format over the years, and is there any reason to suspect that the .PEF files my incoming *istDS will turn out will be handled any less competently?

11-07-2016, 11:59 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I believe firmly that your older PEF files will be completely compatible with Raw Therapee. The file format has changed somewhat over the years, but the only times that things break is with the newest.
11-07-2016, 12:02 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PEF files from my *ist D and K100D all open with my copy of RawTherapee (Linux Mint).
11-07-2016, 12:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You could also use Adobe's free DNG converter software.

Regards

Chris

11-08-2016, 04:11 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
PEF files from my *ist D and K100D all open with my copy of RawTherapee (Linux Mint).
And that, I believe, settles the issue.