Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2016, 08:57 AM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
You asked for information... you didn't say how much :
You're right. But, I thought since I asked a simple question, I'd get a simple answer. I should have known better.

Kerrowdown, I don't print on glossy paper. And I know I could situate the monitor so glare wouldn't be a problem. Thanks for you input on that.

Mike..... what can I say. I think both of you are disillusioned.

11-13-2016, 09:00 AM   #17
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Mike..... what can I say. I think both of you are disillusioned.
Guilty as charged, ma'am
11-13-2016, 09:03 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Guilty as charged, ma'am :Lol:
11-13-2016, 09:25 AM   #19
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
I think both of you are disillusioned
It's a good way to be... less disappointments in life...

11-13-2016, 09:45 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
It's a good way to be... less disappointments in life...
Uh huh!
11-13-2016, 10:28 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So in essence, a IPS monitor needs calibrating just like a TN monitor does. So, it doesn't matter which one I buy?
They both need calibration but I think it does make a difference which one you buy. TN monitors have a narrow field of view and much smaller color gamut. On the other hand they refresh faster so if you do not particularly care about color accuracy but do casre about screen refresh get a TN screen. Gamers in particular like TN screens, they don't care if the color is off a bit, they do care about screen refresh.

On the other hand for anything involving photography I would not consider anything but an IPS screen.
11-13-2016, 12:57 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm not a gamer, never have been. In my youth there was no such things as home computers.

I'm looking at IPS monitors so now I just have to find one that suits my budget but isn't extremely cheap money wise and build wise.

Thanks jatrax

11-13-2016, 01:53 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Those of you who have an IPS monitor, do you see a glow around the edges? I just read that on Amazon about a Viewsonic IPS monitor.
11-13-2016, 02:18 PM   #24
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

No, I don't notice any glow on my HP 23xi...
11-13-2016, 02:58 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here's what I read for the Viewsonic:

QuoteQuote:
Product Alert: IPS (In-Plane-Switching) is a technology for LCD displays that offers users wider viewing angles and bolder colors by allowing more light to pass through the panel. As a result, IPS panels can exhibit a slight glow around the edges and corners (also known as light bleed), which is entirely normal.
11-13-2016, 03:00 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
What about back-lit? Are any yours back lit? I see this on some monitors but not others. Just wondered if it's warranted or not.
11-13-2016, 07:56 PM   #27
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

What about back-lit? Are any yours back lit? I see this on some monitors but not others. Just wondered if it's warranted or not.
Yes, my HP is back-lit... it is described as an "IPS LED Backlit monitor". I'm not sure what effect the back-lighting has, as the monitor doesn't seem to be appreciably brighter than any others I've used. It's a nice screen, though. Interestingly, when colour-profiled using my ColorMunki Display, the differences between that and the default profile are relatively minor. In fact, they seem to be more to do with contrast and black-point than colour temperature or individual colours...
11-13-2016, 08:26 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those of you who have an IPS monitor, do you see a glow around the edges?
I don't see any glow around mine. Of course when calibrated for photo editing I have the brightness turned way down so perhaps that has something to do with it. I would not be to concerned, IPS monitors are mostly the standard at this point. Not sure whether "back lit" is anything of consequence or just marketing blah blah. I thought all LCD monitors were back lit?
11-13-2016, 08:26 PM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes, my HP is back-lit... it is described as an "IPS LED Backlit monitor". I'm not sure what effect the back-lighting has, as the monitor doesn't seem to be appreciably brighter than any others I've used. It's a nice screen, though. Interestingly, when colour-profiled using my ColorMunki Display, the differences between that and the default profile are relatively minor. In fact, they seem to be more to do with contrast and black-point than colour temperature or individual colours..
Thanks Mike. I've found a fair few that meet my size and price needs. I wasn't sure if back-lit was a good thing. I guess it really doesn't hurt to have a back-lit monitor. I found an HP 27 inch nicely priced. Though it won't be in stock until November 17th that's fine cause I wouldn't be able to purchase it til December 1st unless I get a camera and a few lenses sold before then.
11-13-2016, 08:45 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I don't see any glow around mine. Of course when calibrated for photo editing I have the brightness turned way down so perhaps that has something to do with it. I would not be to concerned, IPS monitors are mostly the standard at this point. Not sure whether "back lit" is anything of consequence or just marketing blah blah. I thought all LCD monitors were back lit?
I didn't see your post until after I posted my last one. I don't know if my Samsung is back lit or not. I bought this with a computer bundle my nephew got a deal on and he only wanted $75 for the whole set, two computers and this monitor. The monitor was only a couple months old when I bought it. I thought it was a good deal, and took advantage. Nephew didn't need an extra monitor, said he didn't even have to think about it.